How did I lose weight eating above maintenance??

Options
I was stuck at 122 for a while..about 3 weeks, scale wouldn't budge. Funny thing is I ate a lot during thanksgiving and the day after. I went back to my cut and now I weigh 120! I haven't seen that number in a loooong time lol. What's the scientific explanation for this?

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    There must have been raspberry ketones in your turkey. That's the only explanation.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't know about science... :) But your weight will fluctuate a few pounds here and there, especially after you change your food intake drastically.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Tape worm.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There must have been raspberry ketones in your turkey. That's the only explanation.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm serious here. I haven't seen the number 120 since last winter.

My stomach is getting smaller but bad news is my butt lost some too >_< lol
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tape worm.

:frown: :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

You probably had water retention. Sometimes going into a surplus or eating closer to your real maintenance will cause your body to reduce stress hormones and release water weight.

how aggressive are your cuts or deficits?
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have heard if your stuck at a weight eat more for a couple days then go back to your normal eating habits.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Funny - My husband said I can lose all the weight I want but my BUTT has better not change ! LOL
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When you are in a deficit and suddenly eat a lot more for a day or 2 it must give you a metabolism boost. I do this ever so often and it helps me go down a few lbs. :drinker:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In any event, if you just have another 2 lbs to lose, your cut should be only 250 to 300 calories below actual maintenance. Any aesthetic changes beyond that should be more about body composition rather than scale weight.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options
    Yeah I agree about body composition being important. I try measuring my waist, navel, below navel...and other parts of body but more so concentrate on my stomach area.

I don't think I can move my waist down anymore, it's always been 27 since I was younger even at 110 lbs. Maybe my belly has a inch or so to move down though. Hoping I'm losing more so body fat than muscle O.o that's what I'm worried about.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options

Funny - My husband said I can lose all the weight I want but my BUTT has better not change ! LOL

Bf said it doesn't look any smaller but I swear I lost a bit of junk in the trunk =\ lol oh well.. I can always try to build it back and BETTER when I decide to increase mass ;) haha
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Strange stuff happens.

I've been on maintenance for months now and decided to live a little over the holidays. My daily calorie intake was 200-300 more than usual and I jumped on the scale at the beginning of the following week to see I had dropped a pound. Subsequent measurements later in the week showed that it wasn't water weight or anything... Just came off.

Sometimes your measurements/estimates are off. Likely the holiday food wasn't as caloric as what I put into MFP.

(shrug)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have to do that to get the weight loss line to keep going noticeably down, but my deficit isn't big so I need a lot of patience anyway. But I'm serious that eating high (a bit above maintenance) one day seems really beneficial and apparently necessary for me. It's odd, no?

I've just added it in to my plan. Last time I had a cheat day once a week and this time I wasn't going to, but I do better with a high day. It's just one of those things, I guess. There is some research on hormone signalling that might help explain it, too, but I usually just figure 'shaking things up' is a good layman's rule for some folks' metabolisms on a diet.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options
    I'm not complaining for eating more!! :@)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't know the scientific explanation, but I ate like crap last week and am loving what the scale says right now. I've noticed that happening before too - somehow a bad day or 2 just makes the scale move again and in the right direction.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I had that experience once and looked back Scooby's Calories Calculation for answer. Turns out my maintainance is around 2600 due to the fact I workout more than 10hr a week. 2 fastfood lunches and a BBQ outing for 2 days. Just took me the next 2 days to drop back to normal and then more loss. All water weight, I concluded.

If OP has been working out regularly, her maintainance calories (TDEE) could have been higher than she thought. Why her weight choose that day to drop 2lbs? Haha, maybe her body is thanking her for the food.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at 122 for a while..about 3 weeks, scale wouldn't budge. Funny thing is I ate a lot during thanksgiving and the day after. I went back to my cut and now I weigh 120! I haven't seen that number in a loooong time lol. What's the scientific explanation for this?

You ate less than you thought you did? :wink: