Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Push Ups

Just wondering if anyone else has trouble doing push ups? I seriously cannot even do one push up, not even the girl way. Does anyone have any tips on how to build up the strength to do this. I find it frustrating when doing a workout video and they tell me to do one and I can't :(

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Try doing them leaning against the back of your couch. Or if you can't do those, do them against a wall. It's all about angles. Find the ones you can do, and start building from there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    first of all- there is no such thing as "the girl way" push ups do not require a penis or a vagina in order to do them.

They come in many styles but they have no gender. modified- regular- and progressive.

Those are your options.

Now. start doing them on the wall- put your feet back- and together- place your hands shoulder width apart and bend your elbows till your nose touches the wall. Even standing almost straight up this can benefit someone.

Too easy? Try your kitchen counter top.

Too easy? try a chair- or the stairs- stairs are excellent because you can work down or up on your own level/timing.

it takes practice. It takes work- it doesn't come over night.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Jo's advice is spot-on. I can deadlift over 200 pounds but I'm still doing modified push-ups. Just do what you can today, do a little more tomorrow and NEVER give up. You'll reach your goals.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Just agreeing with the advice of using the wall, a counter, a table, the stairs, etc.
    Don't do them on your knees, its not the same as a regular unmodified pushup.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Keep at it your strength will build. I couldn't do many and now i am a push up queen
  • jukemaster
    jukemaster Posts: 49 Member
    It took me a very long time to get push-ups. Do the modified push-ups that Jo describes. I used to do push-ups with my knees on the ground for ages and I never got anywhere. I think the knee push-up is why I never made any progress. Started working off the wall, then a counter, then a chair, and now I'm finally able to do a standard push-up. Keep at it and you'll get there.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i know a lot of people that do the push up wrong, and it's usually in hand placement. i've seen them put their hands way to far forward. also, if doing the modified version (girl way) then you bend the knees, but not your hips.

modified_form_pushups.gif

kinda like that, but keep your head up. if you let you head hang, you're not going to keep proper form. don't bend down at the hips. imagine your body from your head to your knees is a plank, and it has to come up and down evenly.

check this out for some information: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Do not do modified, do not do wall push ups.. just do one real one.. Arms out like a goal post push down and push up..
    You can do it. do not think you can not do it cause you can do it.
  • I do them the girly... err, with my knees on the floor. I also do 'wall ups' sometimes and oh off my exercise ball too (feet & shins on the ball)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Jo's advice is spot-on. I can deadlift over 200 pounds but I'm still doing modified push-ups. Just do what you can today, do a little more tomorrow and NEVER give up. You'll reach your goals.

This has made me feel sooooooo much better about my lack of pushup skills. Thanks! :)
  • Jennlc033
    Jennlc033 Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks, I will definitely give this a try
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I agree as well with starting out by doing push-ups against a wall or another surface.
    I've also heard that you can train yourself to do military style push-ups by laying on your stomach on the floor, putting your hands in push-up position, and just pushing yourself up off the floor. You could try practicing that, and it may help you build up the strength to do a modified or military style push-up. You might also try starting from the top of a modified push-up and simply lowering yourself down to the floor.

I couldn't do a push-up at the beginning of January, but I just kept working at it and got the hang of it eventually.:smile:
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    I can do knee push-ups now or awkward halfsie pushups, but when I started, I used anything waist-ish high. Kitchen counter, washing machine, desk at work, etc. Then I moved lower using benches, then eventually to where I am now. Keep at 'em and you'll see progress.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I agree as well with starting out by doing push-ups against a wall or another surface.
    I've also heard that you can train yourself to do military style push-ups by laying on your stomach on the floor, putting your hands in push-up position, and just pushing yourself up off the floor. You could try practicing that, and it may help you build up the strength to do a modified or military style push-up. You might also try starting from the top of a modified push-up and simply lowering yourself down to the floor.

I couldn't do a push-up at the beginning of January, but I just kept working at it and got the hang of it eventually.:smile:

you can do this reverse too- much more effective and will eliminate the potential worm... start in push up position- lower yourself down- and just keep lowering- most people who are incapable of doing a push up will just fail at some point- and you kind of flop down.

This is normal.

This is okay- just don't bash your face in.

Lift your chest, belly, hips, then knees- and return to starting UP position.

Repeat.

I can comfortably bang out 50 push ups. The most recently I've done was 70 at one shot. (the last 10 were as ugly and shakey as ever- but damnit I did them)... And if I do those down to the ground push ups- after 10 i'm tired. THEY ARE HARD.

So if you feel beat after 5 of them- that's OKAY.

:) perseverance- and doing them daily or every other day will be useful!
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    I started out by trying to do just one perfect technique push-up. Each day I would add on after 30 days I could do 30 perfect technique real unmodified push-ups with no problem
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Not sure if it works for push-ups but when I started trying to do pull-ups I used negatives until I could finally do one rep, now I'm up to 10!! Maybe Start in the top position of a push-up and lower yourself down slowly. Repeat for a couple of sets and I think in a few weeks you should be well on your way!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Start off with wall push ups. When they start to get easy (say you can do 20 in a row no problem) then move on to something with less incline. Or go straight into half push ups (the ones with the knees on the ground). Do the same thing as before and then give the full push ups a go.

This is how I did it and I'm not only able to do full push ups but declines (legs elevated) now too.

Edited to correct typo/grammar mistake
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    first of all- there is no such thing as "the girl way" push ups do not require a penis or a vagina in order to do them.

They come in many styles but they have no gender. modified- regular- and progressive.

^^ :heart: this. I used to call them "girl" pushups too. Then I learned better. I am a girl, and can do full pushups. It took time to get there, and I still have to do modified ones when I get fatigured.

Whether you have use a wall, countertop or go on your knees, keep working at them and you will be able to do it one day!