need this stuff dumbing down please

Options
Can someone tell me, in plain simple terms, how to go about post workout nutrition and why/how it helps. I have been trying to read up on this subject but every site seems to talk about it in technical terms. The end result being halfway down the page all im reading is 'blah arginine blah insulin spike blah amino acids' etc

At the moment I am taking 1 scoop of the precision engineered whey protein powder with either milk or water about 10 mins after I finish exercising. I generally do 30 mins of weight training and 20 mins of cardio.

I thought this was ok but then I read somewhere that you need a certain amount of carbs in this shake otherwise your body can't utilise the protein. Is this true for everyone or those whose diets are low carb? I eat around 200g carbs per day would this make any difference?

I guess my big question is what do I need to be eating/drinking post workout to help aid recovery, minimise muscle loss and generally make the most of that magical post workout nutrition 'window'? Really want to do this properly!

TIA

Replies

• Safiyandi
    Options
    Carbs are usually taken PWO to replenish intramuscular glycogen stores. Your body will also prioritize using blood glucose over protein, so it may help prevent muscle loss. Not everyone I know does it - my guess is, if you're not starting to really think about working towards your genetic potential, it's not critical.

There are specialized whey formulas for low-carb (<50g/day) dieters out there that will supposedly spike insulin without the carbs, but if you're eating 200g/day, you've got plenty of wiggle room to eat a banana or whatever with your post-workout whey if you want. Plus that stuff is absurdly expensive. I really just wouldn't overthink it - main thing is that you're getting enough protein and are working hard in the gym.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Carbs are usually taken PWO to replenish intramuscular glycogen stores. Your body will also prioritize using blood glucose over protein, so it may help prevent muscle loss.

Excellend simplification, lol. I would suggest in your post workout meal to include some carbohydrats and some protein.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I really just wouldn't overthink it - main thing is that you're getting enough protein and are working hard in the gym.

This, right here, is all OP needs.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

Since starting strength training I've become rather obsessed with retaining my LBM while losing weight so trying desperately to get everything right so I don't jeapordise that!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I/we get that. It's just that most people (basically, most non-bodybuilders) don't really need to worry about nutrition timing. Hit your daily/weekly macronutrient and Calorie goals. Adjust, if necessary. Don't overthink it.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You will die if you don't get adequate protein and fat, but the body can function very well and there is no requirement without carbs.