fitbit aria vs Withings

Options
benalexe
benalexe Posts: 19 Member
Any thoughts on which is better? Fitbit Aria or Withings WS-30 or WS-50?

Replies

• matticusfinch
    Options
    I got myself the WS-30 this week after tossing up between the same three scales.

The extra features on the WS-50 didn't seem worth the extra $100 to me in the end, air quality is not something I care to measure, my windows are almost permanently open anyway, heart rate seems to be inaccurate from user reports but I was kind of interested in the fat % measuring although that is supposedly inaccurate too depending on hydration levels. I've read quite a few reports of hardware failure in the WS-50. I agonised over the newer/better/more expensive WS-50 but it was those features I saw more as being unreliable and inaccurate that swayed me towards the cheaper path.

The aria has the same fat % measuring option as the WS-50 but I decided it might be best to avoid this due to the electrical current that it uses to work this out, my father has a pacemaker and I'd be worried he might step on it not realising what it does. The aria was half way in price between the WS-30 and WS-50 for me.

Since all I really started out wanting was a new set of scales I I ended up choosing the cheapest option,and the WS-30 is already far more expensive than a cheapo set. So far I love it, you just step on it and it wirelessly logs your weight to MFP, and in my case half a dozen other apps I've since installed. I've also been using runkeeper which syncs with both MFP and the withings app / web portal.

I've read that the aria isn't quite as friendly with all the other apps out there but if you are using one of the other fitbit products it might all work together better for you. Having this wireless auto integration has now piqued my interest in all the other fitness gadgets and apps out there.

Setup on the withings was very quick, about a minute. Pull the battery tab to activate the scales, press a button to enable bluetooth and then connect with phone. I had pre installed the app and set up an account so didn't have to go through any of that. I was a little nervous about the android compatibility but I had no problems, my phone is on android 4.3.