Should I watch my Sodium intake?

Options
I've been pretty good at keeping my sodium pretty low.

But should I even be watching my Sodium?

If I go over or hit my 2500 for the day, does that stall my weight loss?

Replies

• laura4028
    laura4028 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good question, I was actually wondering that myself! :)
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It will look like it is but it's not. The water weight is a problem only in that it can mask any progress. After a high sodium day it takes about 3 days for my water levels to level out and for me to get an accurate weight. More annoying than anything. Some ppl are more sensitive to salt than others. There's nothing wrong with you limiting your salt intake. But the body does need some :)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific condition, I wouldn't concern yourself with sodium. Just keep up with the potassium and it'll keep you in balance.

Sodium will not directly affect body fat loss. You will promote water weight gain, but tha'ts not exactly bad, just meh. If it doesn't discourage you that your weight will fluctuate do to water retention etc, then I wouldn't bother.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Sodium will make you retain water. Our bodies need sodium, but too much will make the body hold onto water and like Hunni said mask any progress. If you've had a high sodium day try to drink about 1-2 glass per 500mg over. I have mine set at 2000mg and I know if I go over 2500mg I may see a higher number the next day. It can take a day or two for the body to flush it out, depeding on how much water you drink.

^^Getting enough potassium for many can be difficult hence why it would be better to reduce sodium.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    ^^Getting enough potassium for many can be difficult hence why it would be better to reduce sodium.

True, but sometimes, at least for me, it's more enjoyable to simply eat a banana then chug down more water. God knows I feel like I'm already drowning in water sometimes.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific condition, I wouldn't concern yourself with sodium. Just keep up with the potassium and it'll keep you in balance.

Sodium will not directly affect body fat loss. You will promote water weight gain, but tha'ts not exactly bad, just meh. If it doesn't discourage you that your weight will fluctuate do to water retention etc, then I wouldn't bother.

This. If you have a personal or family history of hypertension, it might be worthwhile to keep an eye on your sodium intake. Otherwise that energy might be better spent elsewhere. (For the record, I have kidney disease and hypertension, so I try to keep my sodium at or below 2500 mg/day; on the other hand, I don't give a damn about sugar intake.)

ETA: FUN FACT: Did you know most salt substitutes have a lot of potassium in them? I mean a LOT. Found that out when my doctor told me to reduce my potassium intake!
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers.

My sodium most of the time never goes over 2000.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers.

My sodium most of the time never goes over 2000.

That sounds great to me! Well within the NHLBI recommended levels of 2400 mg/day.

"The NHLBI continues to support the sodium and salt intake recommended by the National High Blood Pressure Education Program, which was based on the evidence available. That evidence suggested that, as part of an overall healthy diet, Americans should consume no more than 2,400 mg of sodium a day."

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/press-releases/1998/statement-on-sodium-intake-and-high-blood-pressure.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It can stall your weight loss, but has little effect on fat loss. But, there are other reasons to keep sodium in check.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/