Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Birth Control and Weight Loss

Hello to all my fellow fitness pals,

I am on birth control and I am finding it hard me me to lose weight. I was just wondering if this is an issue for anyone else. I have gained 20 pounds and it seems like while I take them it is that much harder for me to lose weight. Any help or advice is wanted.

Replies

• jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    i've been on birth control for almost 8 years and luckily I never had this problem. HOWEVER i know a few of my friends, with specific types, experience immediate water retention and weight gain even when they change nothing else about their routines. Did you JUST start taking it???? It definitely wouldn't lead you to gain weight if you had been on it for a while. I would check with you doctor and even look up the specific brand and what side effects other users have been experiencing. Good Luck!!! I use Zovia (which is generic) and it is awesome, low estrogen and i've had no problems (if you need an alternative)
  • Kaye_k
    Kaye_k Posts: 8 Member
    I'm struggling with this too. Research says BC doesn't cause you to gain weight, so the logical part of me says I must be doing something wrong. However, I'm eating right and exercising and not only am I NOT losing weight, I've gained several pounds just in the last two months. In that time, I did change how I'm taking the BC (supported by my GYN) because of incessant breakthrough bleeding (which happened suddenly after over a year on the same pill. I had the same thing happen after being on a different BC for 2 year, so I switched and was fine for a while). I have no other explanation for the weight gain other than the BC. It is very frustrating. I'm on the BC because of very bad symptoms from ovarian cysts and fibroids, and it does help with that, but I am tempted to stop for a while just to see if it impacts my weight.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Hey, since as as long as i can remember i have been hearing how birth control causes weight gain and honestly i wonder if constantly hearing that something is true makes it true. Dont get me wrong i am sure some kinds of birth control do cause some weight gain but i think its mental too, like for example my doctor put me on these anti depressants and he told me in detail how it can cause a lot of weight gain so be careful and i did gain a lot of weight but i have to wonder if i would have gained less if he hadn't put that idea in my head, so that every time i was slightly hungry i would just pig out without guilt because " it was the pills fault" just my $0.02.

To be more specific though I have been on Nuvaring and Depo ( i think its called, the shot) and had not had any weight gain, perhaps those options would be better. I really like the ring because i have a bad memory lol, the shot is good too but it can increase feelings of depression/suicide if you already suffer from those conditions and has been known to cause possible bone density loss, but unsure how significant. I have also been on various bc pills with no side effects.
  • I have been on birth control for 5 months. Prior to, I had maintained the same weight, give or take 5 lbs, for 8 years. I typically don't weigh myself outside of my doctor's office, using my clothes as a determination of where I'm at. I started feeling like everything was getting tight on me so I finally did out of curiosity, and I've gained 10 lbs. I eat very healthy and am fairly active and nothing in my routine has changed except the birth control. It's weird because I am on a low dose pill, too, but I just went off it and now am waiting to see if I go back to normal.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    I had to try several different types before I found one that didn't cause me to gain weight. I know my friends have had to do the same thing. I would talk to your doctor about possibly changing to a different type. There are many to choose from! I gained horribly on yasmin where two of my friends immediately lost on that one. They all react differently to each woman.