Where to Vacation in Colorado?

Options
Mborroto25
Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
Hi everyone,

So I am going to fly to Denver at the end of January for a week long vacation. I've never seen snow so I am very excited! I've been doing a lot of research and have been thinking about staying in Breckenridge, Keystone, or Frisco. Any suggestions? No kids, just my boyfriend and I.

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Breck is an awesome chill town. I would definitely make that a stop. Also Vail. If time allows I would suggest a trip out to Telluride. It is a super cool old school ski town...

Are you guys going to do any outdoor activities? If not ski or snowboarding I would suggest a horseback riding trip. Really cool way to see the country side.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Vail is a lovely town if you want to ski. It looks like the front of a Christmas card.
  • Mborroto25
    Options
    Yes, I want to do it all! Keystone is a bit more affordable for lodging so I think I might stay there and drive to Breck.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Yes, I want to do it all! Keystone is a bit more affordable for lodging so I think I might stay there and drive to Breck.

Check out The Roost in Vail. Cheap and close to Vail. It is not going to have all of the amenities but it is not a dump either.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Be sure to visit the hot springs in Glenwood Springs too. It's on I-70 on the way to all the ski resorts.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've only ever been to Denver on business, but my sister and her husband go to Crested Butte a lot, just as a "getaway" kind of vacation. They also really like Durango, but that's not close to Denver at all. One of my good friends goes to Breckenridge for skiing a few times a year. He loves it.
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Estes Park is one of my favoriets. It is beautiful, a cute little town, full of sights and animals and hiking adverntures.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Keystone and Winter Park are my favorite ski resorts. I would say for pricing, Keystone is going to be your best bet... Frisco may actually be even cheaper. But it depends on what you're looking for.

Since you've never seen snow - might I recommend looking into transportation options.

http://www.coloradomountainexpress.com/
  • Mborroto25
    Options
    Keystone and Winter Park are my favorite ski resorts. I would say for pricing, Keystone is going to be your best bet... Frisco may actually be even cheaper. But it depends on what you're looking for.

Since you've never seen snow - might I recommend looking into transportation options.

Thanks! I am afraid to drive in snow, but want to visit a bunch of places so I think renting a car is the only way to go...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd vote Breckenridge. It's a town, not just a ski resort, so there's a lot more to do. It can be a sketchy drive from Break to Keystone and I don't know if you drink or not, but I'd rather be within walking distance of bars for vacation.
  • Mborroto25
    Options
    I'd vote Breckenridge. It's a town, not just a ski resort, so there's a lot more to do. It can be a sketchy drive from Break to Keystone and I don't know if you drink or not, but I'd rather be within walking distance of bars for vacation.

Yea, that's something I'm concerned about. Why sketchy though? It looks like a 30 minute drive.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Definitely this. If you've not seen snow, I'm pretty sure you don't want to be driving up mountain passes in it. Let someone else do the ugly work. I'm guessing any place you'd want to go will have a rental car or shuttle to get you where you want to go. I love Breck but Keystone is more affordable. For snow shoeing or X-country skiing, Frisco/Tabernash has Snow Mountain Ranch or Devil's Thumb Ranch.

You'll have a great time. Bring layers to wear because it could be sunny and warm or buttugly cold.
  • jaxokc
    jaxokc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Estes Park is one of my favoriets. It is beautiful, a cute little town, full of sights and animals and hiking adverntures.

THIS!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yea, that's something I'm concerned about. Why sketchy though? It looks like a 30 minute drive.

In the snow, up hills, around curves, past a lake, etc. A lady went into the lake once and they didn't find her or her tuck for months.
  • Mborroto25
    Options

In the snow, up hills, around curves, past a lake, etc. A lady went into the lake once and they didn't find her or her tuck for months.
    Omg you just scared the crap out of me! Thanks! lol
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options

I'll third this. Beautiful.

My close friends from college bought a house in Boulder a few years ago- great city. Super chill people, lots of microbreweries, close to skiing...
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    We go snowmobiling in Breckenridge every winter - it's a gorgeous town. And I visited Estes Park for the first time this summer. Hiking, horseback riding, bouldering ... ghost hunting at the Stanley Hotel :)
  • tegeos
    tegeos Posts: 20
    Options
    Be sure to visit the hot springs in Glenwood Springs too. It's on I-70 on the way to all the ski resorts.

The only ski resort Glenwood Springs is "on the way" to is Aspen. If she is considering Breckenridge, Keystone or Frisco this may not be the best advice as it will take her 1 1/2 hours West.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options

THIS!!

But September's floods hit them pretty hard so they could/should be in the middle of a rebuilding period. They just recently reopened the main road from Boulder through Lyons (ground zero for the flood) to Estes.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Colorado is a great place to visit {I live here and greatly enjoy the state}, the location you what to visit depends greatly on what you are interested in doing.
    Vail; Breckenridge and the mountain areas are currently in snow season {skiing; snowboarding; sledding and snow machine}.
    Denver in January brings the Stock Show.