Protein

Options
Is it bad to havie more Protein in your diet than your goal says?

Replies

• sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, that is a question that can be either yes or no. Really it depends on if your body stores proteins and they build up in the body. For most people no because they exercise a lot and need the proteins for building and helping with muscle management. You may want to check in with your doctor to make sure. I have to have a lot of protein to maintain but someone else may not. Going over on proteins once in a while there is no harm but I would not advise everyday. Try to stay close to your percentagewhen possible. God Bless, brenda
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    nucond: Brenda: You look AWESOME! Looks like you lost 145lbs!!! That is amazing! Good for you! You are my new inspiration!:happy:
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I usually go over a little on my protein! I don't think it would be too bad especially if you're working out as well.

Each body is so different that the recommendations they give are very GENERAL and don't fit everyone.

Hope this helps :-)
  • liss1973
    Options
    Not unless you have medical issues such as kidney disease. Just remember if you take in more protein then what is recommended you are adding more calories to your daily intake. Protein is 4 kcals per gram.
  • mebj
    mebj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eating too much protein can lead to weight gain. If you take in more protein than your body needs (on average, one needs 0.8 g for every kg of body weight), then then the excess can be broken down into fat and stored in the fat tissues. Like the previous post-er said, excess protein = excess calories.
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    it seems as though many people on here are deathly afraid of protein. extra protein in your diet is not going to hurt you especially if you work out. you need it. i get 90-100g a day by the way and have seen amazing results from my diet and routine. i have lost 31 pounds so far.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone will react differently so I won't knock what others are having success with. For me, I ignore all the numbers except calories. I'm pretty happy with the results of that so far. I exercise a lot though so I burn off any extra protein, carbs, or fat.