Foods on public diaries

Options
I don't know if this has been covered before. I've been using this site on and off for around a year and have only just discovered the forum.

I've had a look at other users whose food diaries are public and it strikes me how little fresh foods some people eat.

I know I'm not getting enough fruit and veg in a day, but that's more to do with a hectic lifestyle and lack of preparation time to actually prepare a well balanced meal, than a dislike or disregard for "healthy" foods.

I take a vitamin and mineral supplement but I still feel guilty for not always eating my 5-a-day. I also forget to log some fruit and raw veg eaten as snacks, so my own diary probably looks worse than it is.

Does anyone else forget to log the bits of cucumber, raw carrot etc., that they've eaten during the day or are people really only eating foods which keep them within their calorie limit for the day with no regard for the nutritional value of their foods?

Replies

• Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think some people just honestly eat the calories and are not too concerned with the content. Personally I log everything. I use lots of fresh foods and it does take up a big portion of my time to organise and make all the food I eat. But I don't mind. I like the way fresh fruit and vegetables make me feel, so it is worth it.
  • FFJR
    FFJR Posts: 19
    Options
    I also log everything and eat lots of greens usually in the form of a smoothie, mostly paleo, clean and organic.
    P.S. I use a greens powder as well as either spinach or kale in my breakfast smoothie.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. And yeah, I don't always get enough fresh fruit and vegetables.
  • cymraesynyde
    cymraesynyde Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always think that it's the vegetables in a main meal that fill you up. So if I have a roast dinner I calorie count the meat, heap the plate with veggies and add a little gravy. I don't measure the veg, but always include things like roast potatoes or parsnips to the calorie count.

Maybe I should just cut out the veg and add more roast potatoes lol.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I dont like vegetables. Am I in trouble???
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always add the recipes that i plan to make for the week (and they always include a lot of veggies!). Then I just add "one serving" of whatever recipe to my diary. Because of that, it looks like I'm not eating as many veggies as I really am because the recipes aren't broken down into components in the diary. However, if i look at my recipes I can see all the veggies I have consumed.

I also think people tend to forget to log them. If you have a hummus sandwich with cucumber and tomato you may not take the time to log them.

And also, a lot of people on this site are really into microwave crap and processed food that gets them under their calorie goal, which is pretty lame.

Good for you for getting your veggies in!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Most people here at MFP think the quality of food consumed has no bearing on health. I've had the exact opposite experience. My diary is open and I eat a lot of fat, meat, eggs and vegetables. No low fat/low calorie insanity happening here. And I do it for HEALTH, but the weight loss has been a very nice, effortless side effect of being so healthy. :happy:
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more if they weren't so expensive :( I miss living at home...all the fruit!
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    I'd eat more if they weren't so expensive :( I miss living at home...all the fruit!

I'd eat more if they tasted better. Seriously I load my veggies (when I eat them) with hot sauce. And hey it helps me get my water in because my mouth is burning.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nope, I log absolutely everything except water which isn't a concern for me since I only drink water and know I get more than enough.

gum, cough drops, every vegetable bit I consume. I use my best judgement when I can't measure/weigh what I eat.

obsessive? maybe but it works for me.
  • kkay3182
    kkay3182 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always add the recipes that i plan to make for the week (and they always include a lot of veggies!). Then I just add "one serving" of whatever recipe to my diary. Because of that, it looks like I'm not eating as many veggies as I really am because the recipes aren't broken down into components in the diary. However, if i look at my recipes I can see all the veggies I have consumed.

I also think people tend to forget to log them. If you have a hummus sandwich with cucumber and tomato you may not take the time to log them.

And also, a lot of people on this site are really into microwave crap and processed food that gets them under their calorie goal, which is pretty lame.

Like you I use the recipe calculator as well because I cook for 3 of us, so a serving of something is inclusive of veggies and proteins that are in that meal. I get lots of veggies often frozen for the convenience, I go to the grocery store once a week so i run out of the fresh stuff day 3 or 4 and turn to frozen. Weight loss is not the only thing I am juggling.
  • cymraesynyde
    cymraesynyde Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and fruit don't taste bad. I've found as I've got older that even the vegetables I used to hate as a child because of their strong flavour have now become palatable.

I grew up with my family owning a shop and sweets/candy were always available. Fruit was always viewed by me as a treat (not sure, but probably growing up in the 70's in UK it was probably quite expensive). I used to love going to the grocers and choosing whatever fruit was in season.

I've brought my own children up to view fruit in the same way. To see their faces when I bring a punnet of raspberries or blueberries home is a joy
  • librarysteg
    librarysteg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new here and logging everything. I know I need to eat more fruits and vegetables. I usually have one or two servings of baby carrots with hummus every day and an apple. Dinner usually has a vegetable component. This week I picked up sugar snap peas to eat with my carrots. I like most fruits and vegetables so it's really just about making a point to work them into my day. My breakfast almost never has fruit or veg (during the week it's usually half a bagel w/ a tablespoon of peanut butter, weekends it's an english muffin breakfast sandwich) so that's a good place for me to be more mindful of adding in some fruits/veggies.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Deleted my post -- it wasn't helpful.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I don't have to explain myself to yous. ;) I eat what I want (within my macronutrient needs).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ive been a terrible veg eater lately i used to ship a gallon bag of chopped veggies with me everywhere but i havent done that in awhile
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I log everything except when I use a no-cal spray (like "Pam"). I think once I get closer to my goal weight I will be even more strict. I started weighing most everything.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my diary is public and you would probably be horrified at my lack of veggies and healthy foods lol. Not a big veggie eater, and fruits maybe one a day.
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    I don't have to explain myself to yous. ;) I eat what I want (within my macronutrient needs).
    ^^ Very smart person.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Veggies are great, I eat plenty every day, but don't hate on people that eat microwaved or processed food. A lot of them consistently lose weight and may be in the transition to eating better. I still eat quite a bit of processed foods, but I am losing weight, gaining strength and feel great! Pop-Tart crew checking in :)