Fast Bowling

Options
Hey everyone, I've got a question regarding bowling.

I bowl quite competitively, and when I practice, I bowl at a much higher pace than casual bowling. I bowl an average of 1 game per 9 minutes, and I usually bowl at least 6 games. Since I am the only person bowling on two lanes, I am throwing the ball as soon as it returns to me; I actually break a sweat.

I wore my heart rate monitor today during my 6 game practice. My average heart rate was 150bpm, and my max was 180bpm.

I'm not in great shape, which is likely(?) why those are so high.

My question is, about how many calories did I burn? I bowled for 57 minutes with an average bpm of 150. I have used the online calculators you can find anywhere, but how accurate are they? Is bowling with a bpm of 150 the same as jogging at that same heart rate? I wouldn't think so, but then again I have no idea.

Thanks!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When I roll a few practice games by myself or with just one other person, I'll be dripping sweat by the end. Pretty much non stop motion (albeit walking motion) while heaving a 16 pound ball for an hour.

But whatever, it's bowling. About the same calorie burn as a fast walk for the same time I'd imagine.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I've got a question regarding bowling.

I bowl quite competitively, and when I practice, I bowl at a much higher pace than casual bowling. I bowl an average of 1 game per 9 minutes, and I usually bowl at least 6 games. Since I am the only person bowling on two lanes, I am throwing the ball as soon as it returns to me; I actually break a sweat.

I wore my heart rate monitor today during my 6 game practice. My average heart rate was 150bpm, and my max was 180bpm.

I'm not in great shape, which is likely(?) why those are so high.

My question is, about how many calories did I burn? I bowled for 57 minutes with an average bpm of 150. I have used the online calculators you can find anywhere, but how accurate are they? Is bowling with a bpm of 150 the same as jogging at that same heart rate? I wouldn't think so, but then again I have no idea.

Thanks!

I bowl every Wednesday for 4 hours competitively. But when I log it in MFP I log it as 2 hours and deduct 50% of the calories that way its just bonus cals if I burnt more> I don't allow myself to eat more because of it.