Insanity New Year Challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories for 45 minutes? You gotta be kidding.

I tried Insanity a few weeks ago. I liked it, but it definitely doesn't burn 1,000 calories in 45 minutes. Depending on your weight, 300 would be a better estimation.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    On the up side, the program is definitely good. You'll be laying on the ground, panting. Just make sure you have a good pair of shoes because it's high impact.

Have fun :)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    300 is low I think. I didn't burn less than 450+ first month, and usually 550 for plyo or the double days
  • DR2501
    Options
    Shoes are an interesting topic - here's Shaun T's recommendation on them - none!!

http://shauntfitness.com/insanity-shoes/
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I would like to do it but it's so expensive. ugh :(
  • DR2501
    Options
    You can find the videos online for free, or at least you could not so long ago.
  • lbryant79
    Options
    Shoes are an interesting topic - here's Shaun T's recommendation on them - none!!

None???
  • DR2501
    Options
    I think from memory he says that if he could, he would have made the videos barefoot but he wasn't allowed in case people complained/claimed etc.

I always workout barefooted now - I completed insanity with trainers, special cross fitness ones, and my arches burned in every workout. I've since tried the workouts bare footed and no problems whatsoever. I also do kettlebell workouts in barefeet, and now Focus T25! Much better.
  • lbryant79
    Options
    Thank you, great advice, will try it.
  • joshthomas77
    Options

I tend to agree with Shaun T on this. I've gone to doing all of my in-home workouts with no shoes and have eliminated all of the foot pain I previously experienced.
  • DR2501
    Options
    Less calf pain too, which is a major complaint about insanity - lots of jumping but no calf stretches! Make sure you do your own straight after and thats probably the best tip I have lol!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I planned to start at the beginning of December but I got sick and it us the start of our busiest season so I can't afford to get sicker. I will see how much the season drains me, but may be keen to give it another try in January. I need to work on my fitness for fencing competitions next year.

I prefer doing all exercise barefoot and only fence with shoes because those blades are vicious and my club mates target feet at times! Plus shoes are compulsory at competition anyway so I might as well get used to fencing in them.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    would love to - but heard it very expensive? :-(
  • DR2501
    Options
    Took me about 2 seconds to find the videos for free online! and you can find the calendar in numerous places too so you know which to search for. I'd post the link but I don't want to be reported, so try Vimeo or google "watch insanity plyometric cardio circuit online free" and its the first link (that's the first workout after the fitness test by the way).

Hope that helps :)
  • Chrisdoc1984
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I might get involved (UK). I should have finished my 60 days on Sun 22nd, taking the week between xmas and new year off and then going back into it again, so it would be interesting to do it with others next time around.

I have been using a HRM and have found that only one workout burns 1k+ and that's the one I did today, Max Interval Circuit, its 60 minutes long (total burns on that workout have been 1089, 1027 and 1030). I'm 29, 5'10" and 175lbs. The workouts in the first month seem to burn 600-700 and the second month 700-900, but that will be different for each person.

I was doing it barefoot, but have started wearing running shoes, mainly because my feet were slipping about in my plank work, but I found that barefoot is best
  • d3ck5
    d3ck5 Posts: 47
    Options
    well i like being positive but never met anyone who's done it, million dollar question ---does it work?

for me, yes so far.

ill be on target to lose close to 10kgs (22lbs) and have gone from a 36 pants size to much closer to 32/33.

Im 5'7" and started @ 93kg. I'm just under 87kg now with 1.5 weeks left.

I have NOT been following the diet strictly, but i use the MFP app to track cals. My daily is just over 2000 (based on the weight goal i wanted which was 85, but im wanting 80 now) with some huge buffers doing the more intense workouts.

for the record I've burnt 1k in cals a number of times, but it has only been in the second stages where Fit Test is combined with Interval circuit. The only time ive come close to 1k in an hour is the first time i did Max Interval Circuit. that was JUST over 1k with a coupla mins over an hour. (i think there was 2 mins worth of cursing and trying to catch my breath afterwards).

youll find youll burn the most cals on any exercise the first couple of times you do it. the first time you go at about 90% cause you dont know whats going on or whats about to happen, the second time youre at or around 100% and everytime after that your body gets conditioned to the workouts, so even though you feel like youve worked harder, you rarely burn the amount of calories the first couple of times round.

maybe start another thread just before we start for a checklist and some tips people can put in :)
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Me!ME!ME! I'm in for it... I love my insanity DVDS... if only I had more time to do them this month.. but Jan 1st I am free... Kinda for at least 10 days but I will make time for myself in the new year even if I have to put other things on hold!!!
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    I think from memory he says that if he could, he would have made the videos barefoot but he wasn't allowed in case people complained/claimed etc.

I always workout barefooted now - I completed insanity with trainers, special cross fitness ones, and my arches burned in every workout. I've since tried the workouts bare footed and no problems whatsoever. I also do kettlebell workouts in barefeet, and now Focus T25! Much better.

shaun t recommends cross trainers on the workout discs.. my arches were burning in pain too just after doing the warm ups.. kicked them off ..my balance is much better bare foot too . so glad its not just me lol
  • mjones6599
    Options
    Try finding the videos on craigslist. Just be sure that you get all 10 videos and you can download the calendar from the beachbody website.

The workout is AWESOME!!