Damn Xmas parties and food :(

Options
So I have one Xmas party tonight (a curry and drinks) which was going to be my cheat night this week, instead of my usual Friday night pizza. But now I've just found out its tradition to take our secretaries out for lunch on Monday - and my group has chosen an Italian so pizza or pasta (white).

1. I would never eat pizza during the week, and definitely not for lunch
2. I never eat white pasta.

Not happy at all, but I don't want to be that difficult person asking everyone to change the venue! I've looked at the menu and no salad option, there's fish but its like double the price of the above options and I'm on a strict budget at the moment so money is tight.

Then, to top it off, we have our office Xmas party next Friday!

Rant over :)

Replies

• lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know this time of year is hard, but don't feel like you can't make it through those nights without going over your daily calorie budget. Try getting in some extra exercise to help burn some extra calories so you don't feel as guilty when you do go out for the meals. Try only eating half of what comes on your plate. I used to be a cook and the portion sizes in restaurants are drasitcally over what a normal portion is. On the days of your meals out, avoid the holiday snacks that are usually available to graze on. And don't stress out. A few meals out is not going to unravel the hard work you put in on a daily basis. Go and enjoy yourself and know that you can keep losing during the holidays.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from with this!

I have been trying to avoid all the festive treats in the office for the passed two weeks or so, which hasn't been too bad. BUT, now is the time I'm gonna struggle. I also have lots of office parties coming up & will also be going home for Christmas which means lots of time to catch up with friends & family ie. Lots of drinking & eating out!

Have you had a look at the starters on the menu? Starters are generally lighter, so there may be some options on there for you. I generally choose a couple of starters & have them as my main meal & bulk out with a salad.

Alternatively, eat the pasta/pizza (whatever you choose) & have a lighter dinner ie. Salad.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It gets worse, we now have a drinks and nibbles lunch tomorrow for a big deal we're working on lol.

I do exercise quite a lot (cycle 6 miles each way to work, and do Focus T25), and I guess you're right that it won't halt my weight loss but it will certainly slow it down so I won't be where I want to be in time for Xmas :(

The starters are a possibility, good tip thanks - smoked salmon on there at least :)
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well you have a few options…

1) you could be honest and let them know you are watching your diet--suggest an italian place that does have some healthier options (you could even spin it off as more of a medical issue)
    2) you can find someway to keep yourself busy during that lunch hour or make an excuse
    3) you can call in sick or leave work early claiming you don't feel well
  • lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you do have the option of not having any of the drinks and nibbles at your lunch tomorrow. You can still be social but no one is physically forcing you to eat the food. Bring your own stuff in with you and have that instead, then you're in control.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    So I have one Xmas party tonight (a curry and drinks) which was going to be my cheat night this week, instead of my usual Friday night pizza. But now I've just found out its tradition to take our secretaries out for lunch on Monday - and my group has chosen an Italian so pizza or pasta (white).

1. I would never eat pizza during the week, and definitely not for lunch
    2. I never eat white pasta.

Not happy at all, but I don't want to be that difficult person asking everyone to change the venue! I've looked at the menu and no salad option, there's fish but its like double the price of the above options and I'm on a strict budget at the moment so money is tight.

Then, to top it off, we have our office Xmas party next Friday!

Rant over :)

If you don't learn how to deal with situations like this now, than you'll be part of the 95% that fail at long term weight loss success. Parties, holidays, family get togethers etc are part of life.

There's nothing wrong with any of the food you listed, unless you have a food allergy. Take a couple minutes and find out the nutritional info on the choices (most restaurants list them on their website), pre-log your picks so you can fit them into your calories for the day, enjoy the food and fellowship, and move on.

And no, it will not slow down your progress as long as you stay within your calories, that's why pre-logging is such a good idea, because you can go in with a plan of action.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Small portions?