About body composition analyzer/monitor!

gnutrifitness
gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So, yesterday i received my new purchase, it's an scale and also a full body composition monitor. The brand and model are OMRON HBF 514. It's very useful and it gives you your current weight, %fat, % skeletal muscle, visceral fat, IBM and resting metabolism.

The question is that 6 months ago, i weighted 10 pounds less, wich i have recently gained and that's the reason why i signed to MFP. I always have been very atlhetic, I exercised 4-5 times a week and i keep on doing this. 6 months ago I took all of this measurements and i was 50 kg (110lb) with 18.5% body fat, not bad at all. But yesterday i took my measurements in my new scale and monitor and the results were 54.5 kg (119 lb) with 34,5% of body fat. How is that possible?...This is such a big jump!, i know I gained weight but I can't believe it's all fat!...What do you think about this?, could it be a mistake? or you had same experiences?...please I need to know more about this...:sad:....I feel I wanna cry!

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    I was checked on the same scale at my gym and we have very similar weight / % stats. I was told I had 34% body fat four weeks ago. I have another 2 weeks until I get checked out again. Really nervous about it.

I used to be 50kg a year ago, and was on a constant until I got measured properly. I knew I had gained a bit of weight. Yes it is a bit of downer but now that you've signed up to MFP you can really focus on a newer, healthier you.

Since signing up on here, I feel I am healthier than I have ever been in my life. :smile:

You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I'd have to ask how you figured your body fat the first time. Different devices do different things so if you used a hand held device the first time, you were measuring just through the upper body with the bio-electrical impedance, whereas a scale measures just through the lower body. Calipers are the worst because they don't measure visceral fat at all. So, if you used two different types of measurement, they will definitely not match up. Even doing the same type of measurements but with different equipment you will be comparing apples and oranges. Thats why I don't focus on the number so much as the change in the number with the same measurement device.
This discussion has been closed.