Choosing a beachbody program...

Options
My christmas present from my hubby this year is a beachbody program and I can't decide on which one to get. A little on my background: I am a Jillian Michaels fanatic pretty much. I completed Hard Body and now back on Body Revolution with heavy weights. Because of her programs I have lost so much weight and got the body that was beyond my expectations. I have a one year old boy and still trying to lose my belly pooch, I know genetics are not my friend but I am trying as much as possible to get my tummy as toned as I can. I know abs are made in the kitchen and cardio is a big part of it. With jillian I have been focused on circuit training 4x a week with 2 days of cardio. I think I may need to up my cardio and looking into a few programs. I have Zumba and I absolutely love it because I love to dance. The problem is that my body has adapted and its not the big calorie torcher anymore for me. You would think that since its not on the hot workout list anymore that they would be coming out with something else, just saying Zumba creators! lol.

A few years ago I bought Turbo Fire because I loved Turbo Jam and kickboxing but I was not physically fit at the time to get through it so I sold it. I really regretted it because who doesn't love that program, plus the music is awesome! When I had my son, I said my goal was to get back Turbo Fire and finish the program. However with all new moms, time is very limited. The best thing about Jillian was that it was between 30-45 min. I know right now the rave is Shaun T's Focus T25. My hesitation with the program is that from what I have seen, its not much different than Jillian Michaels Body Revolution cardio dvds and from interviews with Shaun T I am afraid it may be more geared towards beginners. I could very well be wrong but I don't know enough about the program and anyone who is using the program at the moment that I can borrow to view, on the plus side its 25 min and thats really hard to beat. Chalean Extreme looks great and I have been on the fence with it for a while but it doesn't look like much cardio. I do intend to get it eventually, I just don't know if it will work for me right now since I am already back to Jillian with heavier weights.

So now after my rambling (lol) and you wonderful people who are reading this, clearly I need some help making a decision. I put way to much thought into a program before I buy if you haven't noticed lol. Do I go with Shaun T Focus T25 and hope its not a repeat of Jillian, back to Turbo Fire and try to make the time work, or to Chalean Extreme? I am open to any and all suggestions. But yes my goal is to lose just a few more pounds and slim down my post baby pooch as much as genetics will allow.

Replies

• shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Turbo fire. I started at my Gym, then bought the dvds for my house. I have the whole set. It's nice because they have a 30 min, 2-45 min and some 15, 20, 25 (HIIT) dvds (in addition to the 55 ). There are also some shaping and stretching. If you know you already like it I would go for Turbo. You might as well enjoy your work out :) That being said I have not tried T25, But I am dying to! Hoping my husband will surprise me with it for Christmas. Good luck deciding. Hopefully someone who has tried both can weigh in.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    P90x3, Focus T25 isn't that much for beginners its still intense but its not Insanity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Consider a TRX suspension system. It costs less and there are many, many more workouts you can create with them. Also since it's portable, you can take it just about anywhere. I've seen people use them in parks, in hotels, at beaches, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joshthomas77
    Options
    Have you checked out Les Mills Combat? LMC is a MMA-style workout that combines cardio & HIIT workouts. If you purchase the Ultiamte Warrior kit it includes some upper and lower body strength and resistance videos as well. I find LMC to be a lot of fun, they have really good music and the two lead trainers, Rach & Dan do a good job explaining the moves and are pretty funny as well. Most of the LMC workouts in the basic or “Combat” kit are 30 minutes long. If you have any type of martial arts background I’d think you’d enjoy these.

T25 is great; I am not familiar with the Jillian Michaels program so I can’t speak to the similarities. T25 is broken in to 2 phases, Alpha & Beta. Alpha is primarily cardio and body-resistance workouts and in Beta phase you add resistance bands or lightweight dumbbells. There is an optional package called Gamma that includes weights or band in almost every workout. Personally, my favorite T25 workouts are in Gamma. As you know, the workouts are 25 minutes with a few additional minutes at the end for cool down. If you follow the schedule exactly, you do 2 workouts on the 5th or you can move that 2nd workout to a 6th day. The accompanying nutrition plan is also really easy to follow and the recipes are easy to make and are tasty… at least I thought so. Personally, I lost 23lbs on T25 in 10 weeks. I am a huge fan. In fact, I have a T25 challenge group kicking off 1/1/14 if you are interested.

The other thing you might consider if you are looking for shorter workouts is P90X3, it will be relased next Tuesday, 12/10. The P90X3 workouts are all 30 minutes long and some will require weights or bands, and a way to do chin-ups. It is also my understanding, that a Pilates or PiYo style workout has been added in P90X3. I do know that BB will have a challenge pack special running starting the 10th through the 31st where you can purchase both P90X3 and Shakeology together for $180. Also, they are throwing in a free hat if you purchase through a coach.

Hope this helps, please feel free to add me. Like I said, I have a few Beachbody challenge groups ongoing and kicking off in the New Year.

Best of Luck!
    Josh
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    LOVE P90X......weights....cardio....recover....weights...:heart:
  • joshthomas77
    Options

I love P90X, I am in first week of Phase 2 right now. I just wish the workouts were a little shorter. By the time I get home, workout and make dinner most of my evening is gone. Still, I don't think you can beat it as the best all-around Beachbody workout.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm doing T25 now, I don't think you would call it a beginner workout. Like JM workouts, you get out of it what you put into it. If you google "T25 reviews" there are bloggers who have broken down the workouts with the moves, so you could see what to expect from each workout and decide if that fits with what you are looking for. I have not had huge results with T25 as far as weight loss, but there are other people who have. I've lost some inches and definitely increased strength and endurance. I am also not following the meal plan, so that also accounts for why I'm not seeing the results of the people in the infomercials.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I love P90X, I am in first week of Phase 2 right now. I just wish the workouts were a little shorter. By the time I get home, workout and make dinner most of my evening is gone. Still, I don't think you can beat it as the best all-around Beachbody workout.

This is why I can't wait for P90X3 ....shorter workouts!!!
  • EvilTracy
    Options
    I bought the Brazil Butt Lift from Beach Body because a woman I see every day did it, and she now has a butt you could bounce a quarter off of!! She also has the start of a six pack.
  • Buhbee
    Buhbee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I will definitely look into p90x 3. That also might be great for my hubby since he wants to start working out as well.
  • melissacone
    melissacone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that you are pretty fit! I love T25 and don't feel that it is for beginners. Definitely for advanced and intermediate fitness levels. If you are looking for intense cardio with weights (something totally different) in 30 minutes. I recommend p90x3. go to teambeachbody.com or youtub and check out some of the footage for p90x3. It will blow your mind. Weights, Bands and Chin up bar will be needed. You can also youtub Tony Horton Fitness to see other moves that he incorporates in the P90X3. If cardio is your focus then Focus T25 is my favorite! You will love it as well. I never heard anyone say they did not. Also run! I am a runner and nothing beats that for cardio. As you know ...your body becomes use to it and result start to die out. I say T25 for cardio! If you want off the wall different the P90X3.
    Let me know if you need more information. I would be happy to help. I myself will be purchasing p90x3. We could start it together and Skype our workouts if you are looking for accountability and motivation. Keep me posted.