Exercise before breakfast??

Options
Hello!! :smile: I just started MFP last Friday, and just started exercising regularly for the first time in years on Friday, too. I have rheumatoid arthritis, so I do low impact aerobics - 30 minutes a day. (5 days a week is my goal, to leave room for a rest day once in a while if my body really needs it) I usually like to work out around 9am -- however, as a wife and mom of 5, I sometimes have a busy morning scheduled. On those days I set my alarm early to get my workout in. I never EVER used to eat breakfast - that's another change I've made. I now usually eat breakfast 30 - 60 minutes prior to working out.... EXCEPT on those days I have to get up really early. I just can't seem to make myself eat that early, but by the time I'm done exercising I'm hungry. After this long introduction (lol), my question is: is it bad for my body/metabolism to exercise in the morning on an empty stomach? I am SO MOTIVATED for the first time in a long time and have been really sticking to this plan. I lost 2 lbs. this week and I'm thrilled that my hard work is showing results! I don't want to sabotage myself if exercising on an empty stomach if it will have a negative effect on my weight loss. Maybe I'm thinking too much about all of this - I just want to get it right this time!! (I have 72 more lbs. to lose to reach my ultimate goal).

Thanks so much in advance for your input and opinion!! :)

p.s. I just have to say that this site and all of the people here are fabulous!! :heart:

Replies

• tip01z
    tip01z Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't thin that exercising on an empty stomach is necessarily bad. Your body will eventually go into exercise mode. However, I have learned that you should eat within 60 minutes of waking up to "jumpstart' your metabolism. So in that case it may be counter productive. Just my opionion...hope it helps.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am sure you will receive many varied opinions on this subject. I think the best advice is to listen to what your body tells you. I walk the dog for up to 60 minutes on an empty stomach but I don't know if I could do vigorous aerobics that way. I think dehydration would be the main problem. If you've got a bottle of water you can drink during your early AM exercise I think you will be OK. If you run out of energy before you finish your routine, then you probably need some food in addition to the water. Maybe some juice or a small smoothie? Good luck!
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Over the summer, I was doing that. I would get up early so it wouldn't be 90 degrees before I started walking. I would drink water before I left. I would come back home, drink more water and eat a bowl of cereal. Then I would do the elliptical. I know when I walk at night after eating a decent dinner, my stomach doesn't always like it.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say to eat ahead of time - I rarely do, and I've been fairly successful. I LOVE breakfast, but if I eat, I can't work out for at *least* an hour without worrying about seeing my breakfast again. However, if you're up early and not working out until 9, you're definitely waiting too long. Maybe try a snack earlier. It'll help your metabolism - promise!!

Good luck :smile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hello!! :smile: I just started MFP last Friday, and just started exercising regularly for the first time in years on Friday, too. I have rheumatoid arthritis, so I do low impact aerobics - 30 minutes a day. (5 days a week is my goal, to leave room for a rest day once in a while if my body really needs it) I usually like to work out around 9am -- however, as a wife and mom of 5, I sometimes have a busy morning scheduled. On those days I set my alarm early to get my workout in. I never EVER used to eat breakfast - that's another change I've made. I now usually eat breakfast 30 - 60 minutes prior to working out.... EXCEPT on those days I have to get up really early. I just can't seem to make myself eat that early, but by the time I'm done exercising I'm hungry. After this long introduction (lol), my question is: is it bad for my body/metabolism to exercise in the morning on an empty stomach? I am SO MOTIVATED for the first time in a long time and have been really sticking to this plan. I lost 2 lbs. this week and I'm thrilled that my hard work is showing results! I don't want to sabotage myself if exercising on an empty stomach if it will have a negative effect on my weight loss. Maybe I'm thinking too much about all of this - I just want to get it right this time!! (I have 72 more lbs. to lose to reach my ultimate goal).

Thanks so much in advance for your input and opinion!! :)

p.s. I just have to say that this site and all of the people here are fabulous!! :heart:

Lots of people do exercise on an empty stomach before breakfast. If you find you are fine doing that, continue, make sure you don't go thirsty though.

Other people just cannot manage exercising on an empty stomach, but it is not bad for you as long as it doesn't make you feel faint or strange x
  • carriew776
    Options
    I know how you are feeling. I find that if I eat in the morning, like they suggest, I end up hungry soon after and typically end up eating more throughout the day. I have arthritis too and find that the elliptical is the best exercise for my tired joints LOL. I think it's ok to work out without having breakfast. As long as you are eating less and eating healthier, plus working out . . you are bound to get the results you want.
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Slim in 6 for a week now and I always exercise first thing in the morning. With the information that I received from the program it states that you should work out on an empty stomach, or atleast 3 hours after you eat. Says this makes sure that your body is not busy digesting food instead of using stored energy. Then it suggest that you eat within 15mins to 1 hour after exercising because "body is at its peak to absorb nutrients". Something small, not too heavy. I have found that doing this all week has been working great. I usually get hungry again around 10am or so, but I just eat a high protein snack and it gets me by until lunch. I hope this helps. It has for me.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's best to listen to your body and you can't really go wrong as long as you're not at one extreme or the other (haven't eaten for 18 hours or just got back from Old Country Buffet haha). I exercise first thing in the morning 6 days a week, alternating days of running and walking. The walking days I usually don't eat before but then eat breakfast right after. On the running days I eat a banana before and then breakfast right after.

Here is a pretty decent article on the subject- http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100146039
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    you really should eat something soon after waking up in order to "break the fast" it will help your metabolizm operate as it should. maybe something light like a banana and a protein shake (I use the biggest loser shake) then eat more after the work out.

I just got this article posted to me on my FaceBook page and it does mention breakfast and exercise on page 2

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Breakfast__the_most_important_meal_of_an_athlete_s_day.htm?cmp=18-254&utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all of your responses!! You guys are the best!! :bigsmile:
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    I found that if i eat some fruit beforehand, it gives me energy and it gives the metabolism a kickstart , then while you're exercising drink lots of water, and if you need more energy than usual, a few sips of an energy drink will sort that out. Then, afterwards, i eat breakfast. After exercise, your body will still be burning calories for a while, so eat ASAP :)
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I only ever exercise on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I always have a drink before hand, and drink during the exercise. If you've had a good evening meal the night before, then you will have enough glucose in your muscles to maintain your workout on an empty stomach.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I only ever exercise on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I always have a drink before hand, and drink during the exercise. If you've had a good evening meal the night before, then you will have enough glucose in your muscles to maintain your workout on an empty stomach.

I'm with you on this one, if you excercise for fat loss, you're best results will come from eating absolutely nothing, not even a tic tac, before working out, you are forcing your body to use it's fat reserves as energy to plow through your workout. Once you've eaten before working out, your body is pulling it's energy first fromthe food you've consumed, then it taps into the reserves. And fruit...not a good idea, it's a sugar, it'll give you an instant rush, but it won't sustain you. If you're going to eat, you should have a protein and a carb...oatmeal and scrambled eggs, rather then an apple....this is just my opinion, but i've been extremely successful with it. And kudos on the kids..I gots me 6 of them, it's great that you're finding time to workout.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my question is: is it bad for my body/metabolism to exercise in the morning on an empty stomach?

Absolutely not! In fact, there are a whole lot of "professionals" who recommend this. It's actually supposed to be good for fat loss because in theory your glycogen levels are pretty much depleted since you haven't eaten in 8-12 hours, which in theory forces your body to burn fat for energy while you work out. The book Body for Life (Bill Phillips) recommends eating 30-60 minutes after your workout, but no more than 60 (your body needs protein after a workout).

I generally tell people to work out whenever their schedule allows them to consistently do so. If you're able to do it before breakfast that's icing on the cake in my opinion. I always work out before breakfast. It works well for me.