Jazzercise?

Options
Hello!

About a hundred years ago I could drop weight by changing my diet alone...pounds just fell off. Of course, age changes everything and now my really not too terrible diet and forcing myself to drink water like I'm supposed to isn't doing the trick. (Witness the devastating trying on of the wedding dress yesterday and the teary meltdown that followed after a month of eating right.).

I know me...I am not the person who will do a workout at home or walk for exercise. I wish I was that disciplined but I am not, at all. I did Jazzercise for fun about 10 years ago but I don't recall it helping me lose weight. Could be because I was living on popcorn and diet coke at the time so I attributed all of the weight loss to that but now I'm looking for a realistic, and sustainable solution. Does anyone here take Jazzercise classes? Thoughts?

Thanks!
CaroleAntsy

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Zumba is the thing now -- give it a try, I bet you will like it, too!
  • Caroleantsy
    Options
    I've heard of this! I'd love to try -- I'll look for a class.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Zumba!! It's way fun and you can burn crazy calories! But, of course it's all in what you put into it. If you just go through the motions you won't get a huge burn. You don't need to know how to dance, just give it your all & sweat your *kitten* off! I've been doing 3-5 days/week it for 6 weeks & love it!
  • Dinaanid
    Options
    I started Jazzercise in June 2012 and have lost 50 pounds. Along the way I started making changes to my diet and added some strength training. But I attribute most of my weight loss to Jazzercise. Of course, you have to go enough times during the week and you have to push yourself to do it as hard as your body will let you. That is going to be the same with any exercise. But I strongly prefer Jazzercise to Zumba. I think the moves are much better thought out and the instructors more knowledgeable. The music is great and so are the people. When I travel, I find a Jazzercise class in my new location and it's like visiting family. Everyone is friendly and the routines are familiar. Definitely give Jazzercise another try!
  • Caroleantsy
    Options
    Thanks! I loved Jazzercise -- maybe a combination of both...
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I too Jazzercised years ago. There are still facilities around. The only reason I stopped is because when I moved. In CA they had dedicated Jazzercise centers but in Vegas they seem to be out of recreational centers, etc., and they never had any classes that fit into my schedule. There are still facilities around. There is also a group on MFP. I haven't tried Zumba but lots of my friends love it. I really need verbal cuing and my understanding is Zumba is more gesture based instruction.
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Jazzercise! I have lost about 50 pounds since I joined last May. If you go on their website you can search by zip code for a class. My facility is doing a promotion right now where you can join for a discount - I don't know if that's company-wide or just my location, but you should check it out.
  • MirrorMe33
    MirrorMe33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've been doing Jazzercise on and off for nearly 10 years now. I haven't been very good attending classes in the lately but I always come back to it! At my fittest I think I was doing 4-5 classes a week and had great muscle tone to show for it!

The thing I've always loved about Jazzercise is it incorporates strength training so you might have been gaining muscle? I'm definitely getting back into classes in the new year, it's a great all round exercise and takes the thinking out of targeting troublesome areas! Paired with a good diet I got fantastic results.

If you aren't getting a lot of movement into your schedule at the moment I'd definitely say give it a go!