JUST strained my thigh muscle

Options
Is it safe to still workout with a muscle strain in such a large muscle?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If it's a real strain... no, you would need to ice it and give it some rest.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So many variables - your own understanding of your injury being primary. Probably better to rest than to work the leg.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I have been doing TONS of squats lately. I had done like 50 an hour ago and wanted to do some more just a bit ago but after I got to 20 i felt a POP in my left thigh and now when I squat it causes a ton of pain...
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Just use your common sense. It sounds like it's significant, you should probably go see a doctor to boot.

A word of advice, set you appointment soon. The quicker you get an appointment set, the sooner you can possbily get back in the gym.

I'm going through a similar injury right now, and orthopedists are booked.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    RICE and yeah, what frnklft said.
  • tristaj90
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I hate taking days off from exercise so it's really depressing. I probably feel like being stupid and working out anyway, but if you muscular guys are telling me to hold off, I maybe should listen...
  • jwdieter
    Options
    RICE = rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Lots of web info out there. Here's a video that explains in decent detail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2r7xleHdXk

It's not about being tough or strong or willpower. Just need to be smart and let your body heal, so you can get back to working out asap.
  • tristaj90
    Options
    Thank you. I've taken a first aid class in College so I remember learning about RICE. I will give it time to heal and just try to keep my calories low.

Hopefully it's real minor and I can get back to exercise tonight. If not, then maybe tomorrow... :)
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Thank you. I've taken a first aid class in College so I remember learning about RICE. I will give it time to heal and just try to keep my calories low.

Hopefully it's real minor and I can get back to exercise tonight. If not, then maybe tomorrow... :)

Cool, yeah, make sure you're always listening to your body and taking care of it.

Exercise is all about making yourself better, not running yourself into the ground.

I feel for you though, injury and time out of the gym sucks.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says to rest. I injured my back last week, could barely move for a few days, but took a whole week off of heavy exercise to rest up. Still did some pilates, stretching, and walking after those first few days, but nothing too strenuous. Now I am in back in action and VERY happy I waited.

Its better to be out of commission for a little while with a minor injury than to make a small injury worse by not letting it heal!!!