Alcohol Calories?

OK, so I don't drink anymore. I used to, but not anymore. I never had a problem with alcohol, but I never really drank as much as friends did, so giving it up when I started my weight loss program wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm visiting some friends for the weekend, and they like to drink. Usually when I go over I just leave them to it, but I decided I want to have a drink myself this time, with the festive season coming up, it would be rude not to!

So I was wondering, what drinks are calorie friendly? I get that beer and cider are packed full of calories, but I was told stuff like vodka isn't too bad.

Any suggestions on what to drink? I'm in the UK, btw, so crystal light (which I've seen suggested before) isn't an option!

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    I'm assuming you aren't going to get smashed, and since you don't drink anymore your tolerance probably isn't going to be very high.

So I really wouldn't worry about it. There are certain drinks that have lower calories. Certain beers are better than others. I would drink what you want...just don't overdo it and compensate by reducing your overall calorie intake from food.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    I'm assuming you aren't going to get smashed, and since you don't drink anymore your tolerance probably isn't going to be very high.

So I really wouldn't worry about it. There are certain drinks that have lower calories. Certain beers are better than others. I would drink what you want...just don't overdo it and compensate by reducing your overall calorie intake from food.

I might get smashed, as you said, my tolerance will be fairly low, it's just a case of what amount of booze will get me smashed!

And yeah, I am going to be vigilant with my food intake, will make sure I get a decent amount of exercise in beforehand.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    I always go for light rum (bacardi) and diet coke. Depending on the bartender's pour it's between 100 and 150 calories. Just avoid things with juice, non-diet soda, liqueurs, syrupy additions, etc.

Most light beers are around 100 cals for 12 oz. but I think if you just adjust your calories accordingly you should be fine drinking whatever you like. Have fun! :drinker:
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    If it's just for one night, enjoy, have a drink or two (or three lol) and don't worry about it

One day/ night isn't going to ruin all your hard work :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Some beer like Mich Ultra are only 95 cal per beer. So you can have a couple and still be good.
    Most wine is about 110 cal per glass.

Rum is full of sugar, so if you're watching sugar intake, stay away from Rum N Coke.

But a few of anything wont hurt you too bad. Just watch your food intake so you can leave room for a few drinks.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    I would go straight for the liquor with any diet soda or juice.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Any clear alcohol + soda water and muddled limes/lemons. Keeps you hydrated and is low cal. I like Hornitos.

Any alcohol + any diet soda. Bring your own if you want something other than diet coke/pepsi (yuck). If this is at a bar, give the soda to them. You can't bring in your own beverage in most if not all states.

Red wine doesn't have a TON of calories and has great antioxidants. A normal glass (out of those individual bottles) is 6.35oz at 140 cals.

Light beer (bleh)

Pick something you enjoy though. That's part of the fun.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Vodka tonic with a twist is my absolute favorite.

Another option is vodka with diet cranberry juice.... "diet" and not "light".....

Light beer is yummy.

Red wine is even good for you.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    getdrunknotfat.com

also: tequila shotssssss
  • getdrunknotfat.com

also: tequila shotssssss

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing :)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    I have always felt that watching your calorie intake on a special occasion leads to you resenting trying to cut calories; so don't. Enjoy yourself, don't eat too much crap and carry on losing weight the next day.

It takes 3500 Kcal to gain a pound.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Red wine, healthy, classy
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Some beer like Mich Ultra are only 95 cal per beer. So you can have a couple and still be good.
    Most wine is about 110 cal per glass.

Rum is full of sugar, so if you're watching sugar intake, stay away from Rum N Coke.

But a few of anything wont hurt you too bad. Just watch your food intake so you can leave room for a few drinks.

Not true. Rum, is like any other liquor. It's the coke you add to it that gets you.

"Myers Original Dark Rum 40% 96 calories per 1.5 oz " - http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Light beers aren't too bad, but I'd rather have the calories in a great stout or porter, personally. Wine isn't too bad, about 120 calories for a 5 oz glass. I think most hard liquor, generally speaking is somewhere around 100 calories an ounce, more or less depending on the proof, I think. Mix it with a no calorie mixer like a diet soda or seltzer and you'll be ok.
  • _EndGame_
    Thanks for the replies people. Bacardi it is!
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    It depends what you like and how much you'd like to have.

I sometimes have wine and calculate it into my calories - dry white wine is lowest in calories.

Otherwise, I usually have gin and diet tonic. It's got few calories.
  • _EndGame_
    It depends what you like and how much you'd like to have.

I sometimes have wine and calculate it into my calories - dry white wine is lowest in calories.

Otherwise, I usually have gin and diet tonic. It's got few calories.

I was thinking of mixing white wine with lemonad - make some spitzas! Only problem though, last time I drank white wine, it gave me some crazy heart burn!