TDEE and Net Calories

Options
I have posted on this before, but this is a little bit different of a question..

My TDEE is about 1600, I understand that it includes exercise.

On MFP I put Sedentary, it calculates 1200 calories for me (which is about what I eat) but I set my calories to 1600.

I eat a net of about 1200 a day except for on my cheat days.

Like I explained in a thread before, I eat 1200 during the week and on Saturday I have a cheat day where I go over my calories BY ALOT. But so far its been working for me.

When I'm going by my TDEE number but setting my MFP at Sedentary, do I look at my Net Calories or My Calories?

Reading over that, that sounds confusing, but hopefully you guys understand what I'm trying to get to.

Replies

• waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think you go by just calories. Net calories is what you total from actual eating and/or exercise I'm pretty sure.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't follow.

Is your daily calorie goal 1600? If so, you go by total cals, and there's no need to log exercise cals (unless you want to for reporting purposes).

If your daily calorie goal is 1200, then pay attention to net cals and continue to log exercise.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    First, pick either MFP's calorie method, or the TDEE - X% method.

If you go by your TDEE, subtract some calories to account for weightloss (i'm assuming this is your goal) and manually change your MFP to account for this value, then it is just calories. You will not add workouts to this.

Or you can go by MFP's method and calculate based on net calories
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm not an expert on the TDEE method, I think if you try to follow both methods, then you'll get confused; and thus your post. The MFP basics are the NET caloric intake they give you is after exercising and calories burnt. They already build in a small deficit anyway, or so I've read.

My understanding is if you take the TDEE # and are trying to lose weight, then you need to take the number and reduce by 20%, and shoot for that as your intake daily.

Sorry I don't know more about the TDEE ideals. Best of luck to you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Pick and go with it. You can't mix everything together and then get a definitive answer. Your TDEE includes any exercise you do so there's no net. MFP expects you to set a basic activity level and add in exercise calories so you can have a net amount.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    But I'm setting my MFP to Sedentary so technically I'm not including my exercise.
    I'm just going by the TDEE number

Does that make sense?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    How did you figure out your TDEE?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    But I'm setting my MFP to Sedentary so technically I'm not including my exercise.

Does that make sense?

STOP. It doesn't matter what you told MFP because you overrode it's numbers with your own. You're going by TDEE and MFP's method doesn't apply to you. Stop trying to mash 2 different approaches into 1.

Your TDEE is 1600. Cut that by 10% and you get 1440. Cutting TDEE by 10% is what creates your calorie deficit and what will lead to weight loss. Set that as you calorie goal and eat that each day. Don't log exercise calories.

• BenjaminMFP88
    Options

Does that make sense?

If you set MFP to sedentary and did no manual alterations, how can you be going by TDEE? Simply knowing that your TDEE is 1600 and trying to stay under it does not mean you are going by your TDEE.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    Sorry for confusing everyone.

I'm confused myself.

I net about 1200 calories a day, but on Saturday I eat about 3500 calories, that equals out to how much I am supposed to be eating a week.

But if I go by my calories which are normally about 1400, then I'm going over my amount for the week

Does that make more sense?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I'm confused myself.

I net about 1200 calories a day, but on Saturday I eat about 3500 calories, that equals out to how much I am supposed to be eating a week.

But if I go by my calories which are normally about 1400, then I'm going over my amount for the week

Then that's a problem. Control your cheating.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

I'm confused myself.

But I'm losing the weight this way, I'm asking this question because I don't want to lose weight the wrong way and then just gain it all back again.

• jacksonpt
    Options

I'm confused myself.

But I'm losing the weight this way, I'm asking this question because I don't want to lose weight the wrong way and then just gain it all back again.

Then you're numbers/estimates/logging is incorrect.

Over the course of a week, what is your average daily calorie intake?
    Over the course of a week, how many cals do you burn through exercise on average each day?
    What is your average weight loss per week?
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

I'm confused myself.

Then you're numbers/estimates/logging is incorrect.

Over the course of a week, what is your average daily calorie intake?
    Over the course of a week, how many cals do you burn through exercise on average each day?
    What is your average weight loss per week?

Average daily calorie intake: It varies but it never goes over 1400
    Cals I burn a week: I burn about 1000 a week
    Weight Loss per week: 1 pound, but it has been 2 a couple of times.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

You need to be more specific there. Also, is that net or gross cals?

• stefaniemazz
    Options

You need to be more specific there.

Like for example, On Monday my calories were 1292 and on Tuesday my calories were 1303. It varies.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Like for example, On Monday my calories were 1292 and on Tuesday my calories were 1303. It varies.

Of course it does. Look at your weekly total and take an average.

• BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    When I'm going by my TDEE number but setting my MFP at Sedentary, do I look at my Net Calories or My Calories?

If i'm eating an orange, but holding an apple, should I talk to the banana?

TDEE = Calories
    MFP = Net

Assuming you are sedentary and the stats you entered to attain both numbers are "accurate". In a way, you should arrive at the same result. Since you are eating about 1400 calories a day, which is slighly lower then your TDEE, your good to go. But your also calculating your net calories which is about your BMR which is provided by MFP so your good to go there. Ultimately speaking, you are doing more work then necessary by concerning yourself with both number.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

Of course it does. Look at your weekly total and take an average.

• stefaniemazz
    Options

If i'm eating an orange, but holding an apple, should I talk to the banana?

TDEE = Calories
    MFP = Net

Assuming you are sedentary and the stats you entered to attain both numbers are "accurate". In a way, you should arrive at the same result. Since you are eating about 1400 calories a day, which is slighly lower then your TDEE, your good to go. But your also calculating your net calories which is about your BMR which is provided by MFP so your good to go there. Ultimately speaking, you are doing more work then necessary by concerning yourself with both number.

If I compare the two, yes I get about the same number.

I guess I'm just over thinking this all.