Winter Exercise

Options
I'm trying to come up with ideas for working out/exercising this winter. There is a group of us that have been walking/jogging for almost the entire summer and we want to keep this going all year long. Problem being is we live in Maine aka under 10 feet of snow in the winter.

I'm looking for lots of exercise ideas- any and all are welcome. We're trying to get things sorted now so that we're ready once the first flake falls!

Thanks in advance :happy:

Replies

• fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You're so lucky to have snow!!! I'm Canadian but now living in London, U.K.....no snow for all my favorite winter activities :sad:

The BEST winter workout is x-country skiing. I used to get a HUGE burn doing that, double what I can get at the gym. See if you can rent some x-country skis to begin with, and start in a flat area, like a park. It will be loads of fun with your friends too!

Look forward to rosy cheeks, burning thighs, and the best hot bath afterwards.... Enjoy!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes me too I am not walking when it is under freezing...I know what a wimp...
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Have any malls near by? You could always get together as a team and walk the mall from one end to the other and back for as long of a distance as you want to go.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I was going to say XX skiing too. It's a huge workout! A little annoying to get ready for and you have to have room / trails, but since you work up such a sweat you don't need a ton of layers, just good wicking material and warm socks / gloves / ear covers (i personally like ear wraps not a hat because hats make me too hot).

You can try snowshoes too - they will burn a lot! A bit clumsy though.and not really an around town exercise :) You can also run in cleats in the packed snow, or maybe ice skate if there is a pond or something near by... of course, that's probably under snow too.

Or, is there an indoor track nearby? Sometimes smaller towns that have a high school with a field house will let the public use it in off weather. Not larger towns usually because of security issues.

You could always just bundle up and go frolic around in the snow for an hour. It burns tons of calories even if you are not doing a regimented run.

Maybe meet in someone's garage and do some video workouts?
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918
    Options
    Have any malls near by? You could always get together as a team and walk the mall from one end to the other and back for as long of a distance as you want to go.

No malls where we are unfortunately or that'd be a great idea!
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918
    Options
    Great ideas! Keep them coming! Thank you :flowerforyou: