Exercise recommendations for an obese person?

Options
I started to track in MFP consistently at the beginning of November and have so far gone from about 306 lbs to 296 pounds. I have found these results encouraging and they have really reinforced my commitment to my new healthy lifestyle.

For those automatically about to suggest starting with walking, I think I'm ready for something a bit more advanced than that as I'm somewhat more athletic for someone of my weight. I've been doing Biggest Loser Bootcamp and am to the frustrating point where I can do Level 1 all the way through unmodified yet found Level 2 to be near impossible to complete as it uses a lot more floor exercises where you have to hold up your whole body weight with your arms and it's kind of frustrating when I'm having to hold up so much more weight than the fit people on the screen.

I just bought a couple Tae Bo videos to try that and hope it isn't too advanced.

I am enjoying doing exercise videos overall so far and I really want to work my way up to the intense ones like Insanity but I've got a long way to go first. I've heard a lot about this 30 Day Shred? Is that appropriate for my fitness level? Couch to 2K also sounds intriguing. Does that sound like something I could handle at my weight? I'd eventually like to get into running outside but the winter is very cold here in Utah and I probably won't be able to until Spring.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Extreme Makeover: Weightloss Edition also has a Boot Camp DVD with differing levels. Denis Austin has some good stuff, too, and you can find some of her stuff on the BeFit Channel on YouTube. If floor work is an issue, I'm not sure 30DS will be right for you. I've not done that one, but I've done other JM videos, I think most contain floor work.

If you're medically cleared for it, you might try Couch to 5k where you go from a good walking base to intervals, to eventually running non stop for 30 minutes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is one you enjoy.

Whether it be hiking some hills, using an elliptical, lifting weights, bike riding, swimming, canoeing or kayaking, scuba diving, running, DVDs, kickboxing - whatever it is, find something you like that you will do on a regular basis. Then build on that by adding more fun stuff.

Good for you.
  • supra_driven
    supra_driven Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was obese according to every calculator on the web. I'm 29 years old, 6'1" and my starting weight was 230 lbs with +30% body fat. I knew I was not going to be able to do the things I was able to do back in high school. So this is what I have done over the past couple of months:

I started on an elliptical machine once a day (6x/week), for 15 minutes for an entire month. I did increase the resistance gradually. After the first month, I felt that my cardiovascular endurance was up to the challenge that I was about to engage in. So I started a custom 16 week workout regimen at 219 lbs. Each week consists of various types of calisthenics exercises in a circuit format. The first week had to be re-done because I could not finish the routine. Only did this 3 times a week. I also did HIIT for 20 mins 3 times/week and rested 1 full day.

I'm in week 9 of the 16 week regimen and I can do explosive push ups! Something I didn't think would be possible when I first started. Current weight is 199, my BF% is 23%.

I still have a lot to go as far as my personal goal of 12-14% body fat. But, I keep pushing knowing that I continue to improve my strength and overall results.

I would advise to keep it low impact until you get to a lower weight before you start doing body weight exercises. The less you weigh, the easier body weight exercises will be.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels. She is always going on about how people who are 400lbs can do her work out. I've got 30 Day Shred & Ripped in 30. There are modifications you can do if you can't keep up with the normal stuff.

Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    start doing walking/running intervals.

If you are comfortable take some laps at the track/park and stop every 5 minutes and do push ups- burpees or something more in the plyo/calethetic department.

(and yes I totally butchered those.. sorry spelling is NOT my thing today )
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", and 320 lbs.. 48 yrs old.. I'm going to start P90x3 when it comes out in december. going to have to lean on the alternate moves alot in the beginning I know but I like the weight training aspect and cardio mix it offers. I still play racquetball at my weight so I too am fairly athletic for my size so this should be a good program.
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I was around 280, I started HipHop Abs. I bought it on Amazon and it comes with 4 dvds, several different workouts; some with floor work some without, some longer and some shorter. I really enjoyed them. A lot of the moves have both high impact and lower impact versions, so you can do what works for your fitness level.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm Xbox huge. I do variations of what "normal" people do. I lift and am going to try swimming soon. But if there's something I can't quite do yet, I just make a modification. Like Deadlifts. I can't reach a bar on the ground with correct form. So I do variations that place the bar a bit higher, and within reach.
  • labud1
    labud1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    swimming , works and is easy....and the safest
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser has a video game for the WII. It changes up the routine and progressively gets harder as you get stronger.

http://www.amazon.com/Biggest-Loser-Challenge-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003S2OO7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1386283538&sr=1-1&keywords=biggest+loser+wii

That's the one I did. I love it.

Nothing is wrong with starting to walk, especially if you want to start Couch to 5k in the spring. Just bundle up and start kicking *kitten* and taking names!

You got this!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    You know what,
    I would tell you to try Insanity.But go at your own pace.
    Insanity makes you do an exercise for 30 - 45 seconds.
    I would recommend for you, that what ever exercise they are doin just do 10, then move on.
    Then when you are upto it, do 12, etc.. etc..

The other thing, see if you can find some weight bands that you can put around your rists and anckels. Then try level 1 again.