Counting Fitness Calories

Options
Hi all-

So when I do my daily walks, my treadmill tells me one calorie approx, and I enter my speed and time on here, and MFP tells me a totally different calorie count.

Which do you go by?

If I replaced my calorie counter watch battery, I would assume that's the best to go by, but I don't have that option right now.

Thanks all!

-ShortStrut

Replies

• gmhaggie06
    Options
    Honestly, I don't even count fitness calories (in a real sense) I log them to keep track of what I've done, but I never figure the calorie portion. I figure I'm working out to get in better shape, not to eat more so I don't care about the excess calories I've burned in that sense. I think both MFP and the machine itself are just guessing at your calorie expenditure, and the only real way to do it would be to get a body bug or something else like that (which it sounds like you have) and even that's only 90% or so effective I think.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    IF you want to start counting fitness calories, go and buy a HRM, They will tell you exactly how many calories you burned
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi all-

So when I do my daily walks, my treadmill tells me one calorie approx, and I enter my speed and time on here, and MFP tells me a totally different calorie count.

Which do you go by?

If I replaced my calorie counter watch battery, I would assume that's the best to go by, but I don't have that option right now.

Thanks all!

-ShortStrut

Did you enter your weight on the treadmill?

Most use the exact same formula that the database entry MFP uses.

But with MFP, you must match the stated speed exactly while walking flat. If you have an incline or different speed really, then it doesn't match.

How do both compare to this? Which is the most accurate formulas.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    IF you want to start counting fitness calories, go and buy a HRM, They will tell you exactly how many calories you burned

Not really. No where near exact, unless upwards of 30% off is exact enough with an expensive HRM for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study