SUGAR, IS THE ENEMY !! what else can I replace it with ?

Options
Probably more than others I luv the sweets ! I used to use 1/4th cup of sugar in my coffee, I now use 1 table spoon 1 of my cups of coffee (one of my cups of coffee equal 3, 8 oz. cups by the way ) I got myself a smoothie yesterday ( which surprisingly is not bad at all ) but a normal smoothie was 440 calories, while they offered an alternative with splenda that was 140 calories.

So I went home to search this splenda, since I really am over my sugar limit everyday. So I was searching info on splenda ,and found its a chemical sweetener that gets really mixed views. Is there anything out there that can be a sweetener substitute that is maybe more healthy than splenda ? cuz I need to really get my sugar consumption down. Maybe something more natural, or healthy ?

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    TRUVIA! made from the plant stevia. no chemicals! BUT you do have to get used to the taste- a little bit bitter but I got used to it no problem! good luck. I have learned the more you stay away from sweets the less you crave them. This is still my #1 problem!
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is simply to eat less sugar. Every sugar substitute is accompanied by mixed reviews. Aspartame (the one used in the majority of sugar free products and diet drinks, etc) gets a particularly bad rap. Splenda is "made from sugar" so it's fairing slightly better. Truvia is the newest sugar substitute on the market, made from the stevia plant, but I have read mixed reviews on that as well. It's really up to you how you feel about it. Some folks are opposed to the idea of putting "chemicals" in their body and prefer to go the sugar route. Others are fine with it, and may or may not have a preferred sugar substitute. It's really a personal choice.
  • GiovanniSoto
    Options
    I started my program less than a week ago, the first thing I cut is sugar, in all forms,(sodas and all kind of sweets) drink water instead. watched what I eat not to extremes, work out 1 hour every day and I lost 7 pounds in 5 day, by the time I post this.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Second the stevia ...liquid is better than powders (no fillers...more cost effective). Also, more fruit. Fruit sugar wrapped in fiber is absorbed differently, won't spike blood sugar like regular sugar, and has tons of other benefits. And water ...if you have to add something to sweeten it, skip the Crystal-light type stuff which is loaded with chemicals which might spike your appetite...your body isn't fooled by the fake sugar ... instead, try their new Pure Fitness (by Crystal Light) which is sweetened with stevia. The people that I work with like the lemon-lime flavor.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Splenda is my favorite because of the lack of aftertaste. Also, long term double blind studies show that normal consumption of sugar substitutes don't have any definitive negative effects. Of course anything in massive amounts is not good for you, but I highly doubt you will be eating buckets of sugar substitute a day.
  • kandi007
    kandi007 Posts: 17
    Options
    i use agave necter...here more informatiom about it
    http://www.allaboutagave.com/

a big bottle will run you about 12-20 bucks but it will last a long time
  • ValerieCx
    ValerieCx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I still use sugar just less of it. I cut out all sodas because they are loaded with sugar. Even my sweet iced tea is gone and I definately miss that when eating out. Cut out my deserts and ice cream. I've never liked the taste of substitutes and with me, if I don't like it, I'm not going to eat it or drink it. Then I really do start feeling deprived so I allow myself what I like just in limited amounts. When I doing Weight Watchers, they recommended Splenda.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Stevia and Agave are great natural choices. I also use real maple syrup,(I am canadian) because of it's rich flavor I don't need as much. Also for cooking I use organic molasses. (rich in B vitamons and iron)
    Best to get that sweet tooth pulled though.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    woot woot on the truvia and stevia, I also sweeten with honey if I have the calories for it.
  • suzzilady
    Options
    I had exactly that sugar problem. I am pre-diabetic and the doc said no no no sugar. So I went the Stevia way and have been very satisified. It's a little pricey but I think it's totally worth it. NO CHEMICALS ! I use 2 pkts. in what ever.....ice coffee or ice tea and when I want something bubbly I drink setzer water...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    woot woot on the truvia and stevia, I also sweeten with honey if I have the calories for it.
    Yup, was just gonna jump in and say Honey! Honey can go along way in sweetening, bet it'd be tasty in coffee or tea, I drink hot tea and have always drank it plain so I've never had reason to try it that way.

Honey on Toast, but just a drizzle and I'm happy, not like spread on with a knife as it does add up.

I also agree with someone that shared to steer clear. At the begining of time I stayed away from all fast food and candy, junk foods etc. for the first year, it was far easier than it sounds. After the first 3-4 days your body loses interest and it doesn't consume your every thought. It's so worth it to detox and realize YOU can gain the power back over the is white devil:devil:

I then introduced it back in slowly and it's never had the power over me like it used to before I started out. I know it sounds tough but you can do it.

I suggest if you're sugar addict, to simply cut back at first, like you've done with you coffee, cut back on how many candy bars or whatever it is that you eat the sugar in. Then as you do that you'll be able to enjoy the bit you do have so much more.

For me it's not the fact of eating it, but the fact that it can lead to a binge quickly if I"m not careful because it's a simple carb and thats what they do!

Good luck:drinker: :wink:
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Depending on how picky your taste buds are nothing will be a decent substitute. If that turns out to be the case, go ahead and have some sugar... just don't let it take over your calorie budget to the point of crowding out other things you need.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I really like Whey Low if I am using something that uses sugar, tasted just like sugar and is natural, not artificial and low low in calories. Comes in brown sugar form also. I rarely use sugar so a bag lasts me for a long time.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Liquid Stevia is the best... It comes from a plant...

You put the drops in to taste per cup and it mixes really well. Very good! I do not miss sugar at all.