scared to gain weight trying to maintain

Options
Hi Everyone. I am new here. I have lost 76 pounds in the past 8 months. I have been sticking to a 1000 -1200 calorie a day limit the entire time. I started at 216 pounds and a size 18W and am now around 140 pounds and a size 6 or 8. 140 was my goal weight and I would like to stay here, between 142 and 139. I exercise 6 days a week. I run on Sat, Tues, and Thurs, about 3 to 4 miles a day. On Mon, Wed and Fri I do 5 miles on an elliptical and then I do weights and floor exercises on these days too. My issue is I am terrified to up my calories. I have upped them to about 1400 a day now and I am feeling bloated all the time. I don't seemed to have gained weight and the calories have been upped for about 2 weeks but I am fluctuating, up to 142 yesterday...140 about 5 days ago, and 143 about 9 days ago. Any advice would be appreciated. Is it really ok for me to eat 1400 calories a day?? The calorie counter thing on this site says I need more because of my running and a calorie deficit, but I don't want the extra calories. The stress of trying to maintain is killing me...

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You've been eating too little and your body is readjusting to normal eating. It will take a while. I might talk to a doctor.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    Just take it slow. Maybe add 100 a week instead of the entire amount at once. I'm going through the same thing and it is scary but something we have to go through. Also remember 9 days ago was right around Thanksgiving and your diet may have been saltier, containing more fat, calories and carbs than usual. I know mine was!

Yes, it is Ok to eat 1400 calories and probably eventually more than 1400. You spent a long time losing all that weight and did a great job. Give yourself time to adjust to increasing calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are working out that much, then yes you can eat 1400 calories...

ever considered a heavy lifting program with some compounds thrown in?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    As you transition to maintenance you will gain a few pounds of what is commonly referred to as "water weight" as your glycogen stores are replenished. It will then likely level off. At your weight and level of exercise, you're gonna have to likely eat more. Up your intake slowly, set a "line in the sand" of say 145 or so before you freak out and go back on a diet. . It should level off. At that pouint you might want to reevaluate whether you need to drop a few pounds, and overshoot your goal weight to account for glycogen replenishment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How old are you (47?), how tall are you? (those details are important too)
  • klmorg1227
    klmorg1227 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. :smile:
  • klmorg1227
    Options
    You've been eating too little and your body is readjusting to normal eating. It will take a while. I might talk to a doctor.

A doctor like a nutritionist?
  • klmorg1227
    Options
    Just take it slow. Maybe add 100 a week instead of the entire amount at once. I'm going through the same thing and it is scary but something we have to go through. Also remember 9 days ago was right around Thanksgiving and your diet may have been saltier, containing more fat, calories and carbs than usual. I know mine was!

Yes, it is Ok to eat 1400 calories and probably eventually more than 1400. You spent a long time losing all that weight and did a great job. Give yourself time to adjust to increasing calories.

Thanks. Yes you're right, it was right around Thanksgiving! lol
  • klmorg1227
    Options
    if you are working out that much, then yes you can eat 1400 calories...

ever considered a heavy lifting program with some compounds thrown in?

I don't do lot of lifting...I do weights three days a week. Explain compounds...lol :wink:
  • klmorg1227
    Options
    As you transition to maintenance you will gain a few pounds of what is commonly referred to as "water weight" as your glycogen stores are replenished. It will then likely level off. At your weight and level of exercise, you're gonna have to likely eat more. Up your intake slowly, set a "line in the sand" of say 145 or so before you freak out and go back on a diet. . It should level off. At that pouint you might want to reevaluate whether you need to drop a few pounds, and overshoot your goal weight to account for glycogen replenishment.

Maybe thats why I feel slightly 'bloated' too. I seem to be staying at about 142 right now...although I wont weigh myself again until Sunday morning. If I am 145 there will definitely be some 'freaking out' !! lol Thanks for the good advice!
  • klmorg1227
    Options
    How old are you (47?), how tall are you? (those details are important too)

Yes, I am 47 and 5 ft 6 in.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    if you are working out 6 times a week, you will still lose weight at 1400 calories. i work out 4 times per week and am eating ~2100 calories per day. i was in your shoes not too long ago... so afraid to gain that I was still very strict on myself. the problem was that i was still LOSING even at 2000 calories per day (I am on my feet ~80% of the day with my job, however). so i just stopped counting and eat when i'm hungry and keep eating until i'm full. i have been successfully maintaining this way for 3 weeks. i highly recommend it.
  • klmorg1227
    Options
    if you are working out 6 times a week, you will still lose weight at 1400 calories. i work out 4 times per week and am eating ~2100 calories per day. i was in your shoes not too long ago... so afraid to gain that I was still very strict on myself. the problem was that i was still LOSING even at 2000 calories per day (I am on my feet ~80% of the day with my job, however). so i just stopped counting and eat when i'm hungry and keep eating until i'm full. i have been successfully maintaining this way for 3 weeks. i highly recommend it.

Your picture has a couple on it. Are you male or female? I know males can eat a higher number of calories per day that's why I am asking.
  • jen4relient22
    Options

+1!!

and she and i are both females! our bodies need fuel. i also lost weight eating very little, and it's been hard learning that it's OKAY to eat more... i went through a couple weeks of bloating, and now it's pretty much leveled out. i stopped counting calories a few weeks ago (still do a rough estimate tho) and i usually eat up to 2300 per day and i haven't gained... and my clothes are feeling LOOSE now. :)
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I'm 45, 5'10", and 130lbs. I lift heavy 3 days a week (compound lifts: squat, bench, dead lift, press, power clean). I'm eating 1900 calories and maintaining (not counting my holiday gain). 1900 sounded scary at first, but I've been at it for a few months now and was maintaining just fine.
  • klmorg1227
    Options

+1!!

and she and i are both females! our bodies need fuel. i also lost weight eating very little, and it's been hard learning that it's OKAY to eat more... i went through a couple weeks of bloating, and now it's pretty much leveled out. i stopped counting calories a few weeks ago (still do a rough estimate tho) and i usually eat up to 2300 per day and i haven't gained... and my clothes are feeling LOOSE now. :)

Thanks that helps a lot from both of you. I know inside I need to eat more than I was, everything I was reading and everything medical staff were telling me said I needed to eat more. Its just scary to feel the bloat. Clothes are fitting fine...nothing tighter at all. I measured today and some of my measurements have actually decreased. I will 'officially' measure and weigh in Sunday morning though... (trembling...lol) Thanks again. The support TRULY helps me so very much. :happy:
  • klmorg1227
    Options
    If it helps, I'm 45, 5'10", and 130lbs. I lift heavy 3 days a week (compound lifts: squat, bench, dead lift, press, power clean). I'm eating 1900 calories and maintaining (not counting my holiday gain). 1900 sounded scary at first, but I've been at it for a few months now and was maintaining just fine.

Wow...you must be really small. I am 4 inches shorter and about 10 pounds heavier. Had knee surgery from a car accident and can't do squats at all :cry: but I think I do a well enough weight and toning routine 3 to 4 times a week. I do sit ups and some thigh/butt toning exercises 6 days a week also. 1900 sounds like way too much for me though. Just sticking to 1300 to 1400 is hard. and scary...
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

This is very accurate and there is another post on the forums a while back from a different member(I think Sara, but can't remember for sure) that explains this in great detail. I have been maintaining for close to a year and have a 4lb range I stick within, but it took a while to find that happy maintenance calorie number. Basically if you want to maintain at 145, then aim for 140 and then up your calories by around 150 every week or two to see where it leaves you. Good luck with this.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options

+1!!

Thanks that helps a lot from both of you. I know inside I need to eat more than I was, everything I was reading and everything medical staff were telling me said I needed to eat more. Its just scary to feel the bloat. Clothes are fitting fine...nothing tighter at all. I measured today and some of my measurements have actually decreased. I will 'officially' measure and weigh in Sunday morning though... (trembling...lol) Thanks again. The support TRULY helps me so very much. :happy:

Don't forget, too, that the MEASUREMENTS mean more than the SCALE at this point. I'm currently exactly the same measurements as I was last December, but weigh 3 pounds more. I had a rough summer, but I started lifting weights in May. In the last few months I started tracking my food properly again. I eat about 1400 per day PLUS my exercise calories (around 2000 total) I haven't lost many pounds, but have definitely shrunk in size. With all your exercise that will likely happen, especially the weights. I love how they help sculpt your body! :love: :blushing:
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I am new here. I have lost 76 pounds in the past 8 months. I have been sticking to a 1000 -1200 calorie a day limit the entire time. I started at 216 pounds and a size 18W and am now around 140 pounds and a size 6 or 8. 140 was my goal weight and I would like to stay here, between 142 and 139. I exercise 6 days a week. I run on Sat, Tues, and Thurs, about 3 to 4 miles a day. On Mon, Wed and Fri I do 5 miles on an elliptical and then I do weights and floor exercises on these days too. My issue is I am terrified to up my calories. I have upped them to about 1400 a day now and I am feeling bloated all the time. I don't seemed to have gained weight and the calories have been upped for about 2 weeks but I am fluctuating, up to 142 yesterday...140 about 5 days ago, and 143 about 9 days ago. Any advice would be appreciated. Is it really ok for me to eat 1400 calories a day?? The calorie counter thing on this site says I need more because of my running and a calorie deficit, but I don't want the extra calories. The stress of trying to maintain is killing me...

My only advice would be don't get too worried about maintaining at such small amounts, it is not possible to weigh yourself once a week and expect to be between 139 and 142 forever, i would pick a range say 135-145 if you hit 145 eat a little less till you get back to 140, if you hit 135 eat a bit more, 5 pounds above or below your goal weight isn't a problem really