what's your favorite clean/healthy grocery store?

Options
I need one that doesnt claim to be healthy but actually is b/c a lot of the stuff at whole food is just processed crap

Replies

• jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Trader Joes right down the street and my girlfriend and I love that place.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your idea of clean/healthy is. I find that any grocery store can be clean/healthy depending on what you buy. I do most of my shopping at Safeway, just your standard grocery store, and I think I do fine there. For produce, I sometimes go to the farmer's market or to this little mom and pop produce stand in my neighborhood that uses mostly local suppliers.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Any store that sells meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy, whole grains.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen a dirty grocery store except for Shop Rite in Newark.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Any of the ones not in Oakland. There's a lot of pee on the floors of those. Good luck on your quest for a clean grocery store, please let us know which one you choose!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    if the grocery store isn't clean, I leave. Seriously - you're selling food, it had better be clean.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A grocery store is only as clean as what you choose to buy...I happen to like Whole Foods for their meats and bulk items, but I purchase the rest of my food at the regular old supermarket.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen a dirty grocery store except for Shop Rite in Newark.

Isn't all of Newark filthy?
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Any of the ones not in Oakland. There's a lot of pee on the floors of those. Good luck on your quest for a clean grocery store, please let us know which one you choose!

:laugh:

The Trader Joe's in Rockridge and the Safeway near Piedmont Ave are relatively pee-free :tongue:
  • mamabisme
    mamabisme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Farmers market
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    if the grocery store isn't clean, I leave. Seriously - you're selling food, it had better be clean.

#foodsnobberydoneright :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Isn't all of Newark filthy?

That's what I thought
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

What about poop?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

:laugh:

The Trader Joe's in Rockridge and the Safeway near Piedmont Ave are relatively pee-free :tongue:

Rockridge and Piedmont don't count. They're their own cities according to people who live in Rockridge and Piedmont. Do you even Bay Area? :wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, when you find one, prepare to pay 30-50%+ more than if you found the same foods in more conventional stores.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mother's Market or Wholefoods
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Processed food is cheap and has a higher profit margin. You will have to look very, very hard to find a store that doesn't sell it.

Fortunately, you can just choose not to buy it.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    Hahaha i think i should have explained what i meant by clean. My definition of clean when it comes to food is anything that is natural or minimally processed. A lot of people mentioned farmer's market and trader joe's and thats kinda what i meant.
    i dont know why i did not think of these two places before. Unfortunately, theres no trader joe's near me