quiting Atkins

Options
I've been doing a lo carb diet (Atkins-like) for a month and have lost about 20 pounds, but I want to eat fresh fruit. Also, In January many in my church are doing the Daniel fast for 21 days and I would like to go along with them. My worry is that switching from low carb to more carbs I would gain weight instead of losing.

I have over 100 pounds to lose

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lo carb diet (Atkins-like) for a month and have lost about 20 pounds, but I want to eat fresh fruit. Also, In January many in my church are doing the Daniel fast for 21 days and I would like to go along with them. My worry is that switching from low carb to more carbs I would gain weight instead of losing.

I have over 100 pounds to lose

Why are you doing any "diet" and not just logging your calorie intake & exercise?
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I fear you are on a slippery slop, jumping from one "diet" to another. If you are really serious about losing "over 100 lbs", you need to start logging your foods and eat at a defect.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins to get off about 20lbs in 09 then switched to weight watchers for the fruit also and loss another 20 and kept it off by logging and watching my calories. I gained a bit back when I quit smoking, so Im back to my version of low carb. But my opinion and experience, if you watch your calories, exercise and don't over due it with bad carbs you should be fine and prolly happier at meals and snack time.... good luck!!
  • tobybraxton
    tobybraxton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm new at this still learning how to log food etc...
    Thanks for the input!
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight you have lost so far, Atkins does allow fruit once you are past the initial two week induction phase, though - maybe you need to look at the book again.

If you start eating a lot of carbs, you will gain water weight since carbs cause water retention, But water isn't fat, so this may not be a big issue. You could go a middle ground and introduce fruit and whole grains while avoiding refined carbs such as sugar and white flour.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Toby, you dont' have to cut carb, fat, protein, anything like that...unless you want to. You can lose weight eating carbs as long as you keep that calorie deficit. I would focus on learning portions and logging food, and see how that plays out for you.

Having lost 20 lbs in a month, it sounds like you have quite a bit to lose. You might want to reassess and make sure you are slowing the weight loss a bit...preferably to about 2 lbs a weeks. The faster the weight comes off the easier it can be to pack right back on.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Save yourself the money ! Don't diet , eat healthier , non processed ( but every now and then ) ....eat good fats, proteins, fruits and veggies ...eat at a defecit..log food on MFP , excercise and you will loose those 100 pounds ! If you have Netflix I would suggest watching some of their "fat" documentaries , lots of info in there from drs. And researchers , they find many on diets don't stick to their diets because they are unrealistic and eventually stop and gain quickly ...not to scare or deter you but loosing weight is much simpler and less costly than we are made to believe ...you can do this , educate , educate, educate ! Google BMR AND TDEE ....find calculators and go from their also MFP has reccomended settings to help you figure out your calories needed to lose weight :) good luck ! Trash the Atkins and eat your fruit !
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Atkins induction is only 2 weeks, Other phases of Atkins allows fruits (ATKINS OWL)