SO UPSET WITH MYSELF

Options
I changed my diet and excersice 3 weeks ago, i was excersicing everyday on my treadmill only doing a mile and half a day and dieting. I was stuck at 170- 171 so i changed what i was doing, Ive been riding my bike 4 miles a day ( 30 min.) and doing 2 miles on my treadmill ( 45 min- an hour). In the last 3 weeks ive lost a total 6 lbs. I started at 170, and 3 days ago i got to 161 lbs. But this morning i was 163.4 and i was cirous about an hr ago and weighed my self ( just to see because i took an off day today) and i gained a POUND in 3 hours, I havnt ate anything yet today either, it doesnt make since. Im only 20 yrs old, why am i having such big problems with losing weight when im dieting ( yes counting EVERTHING) and excersicing. Granted i have two kids ( a 2 yr old and a 6 month old) but with my first i gained 72 lbs and lost 68 lbs within 6 months without excersicing, I gained 65 lbs with my second and hes 6 months old and ive only lost 40 lbs and im trying this time!! SO FUSTRATED!
Any thoughts of why?!?

Thanks, Meagan

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    You're weight will fluctuate on a daily basis. You said you haven't eaten anything yet, but did you drink anything? Even a glass or two of water will make the scale go up. I know it's hard to stay away from the scale, but the most accurate number will be the one you get first thing in the morning.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You really can't gain a pound in 3 hours unless you ate over 3500 calories! (3500/pound). Our weight naturally changes throughout the day/week based on food/drink/perspiration/water retention/calorie burning/bodily functions, etc. Hormones, time of the month, etc. can also impact it.

Because of this, it's best not to weigh daily (and certainly not multiple times a day!) - you'll drive yourself nuts. Most people recommend that you weigh once per week, at the most. Pick one day a week (the same day every week) and weigh yourself at the same time each time - usually it's best to weigh first thing in the morning after you've used the restroom.
  • matomama
    Options
    I also have two kids. I didn't gain any weight while pregnant but I did gain weight between pregnancies so I am trying to lose it now. I know your pain. But as for your weight gain so quickly I have a somewhat personal question. You don't have to answer it but it is something to think about. Are you on your period or close to it? I know I usually gain a few pounds when I am on my period because of bloating and water retention but then it will be gone when my period is without me changing anything. Just something to think about.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it could be a fluxuation in your hormones and water gain. You have changed things up so give it some time. It will pay off in the end.
  • kendrae
    kendrae Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself everyday, it will make you go crazy! The body can gain weight from water or other things that might go away by the end of the day. It's better to measure around yourself(arms, legs, waist, hips, butt) and then every two weeks measure again. When you're working out you can gain muscle while losing fat and you'll weigh the same even if you're smaller around sometimes because muscle weighs more than fat. Don't give up and just keep exercising and eating right. The body can not gain weight from nothing.
  • babybliss211
    Options
    Actually, its strange, im almost off my period, i was on it this past week, sundays my last day. oh and i forgot, ive also started weight training too. And its hard being young, and i use to be small/ skinny , to not go over broad with the whole weight lossing thing, Im really sick of being this " big" so i like to see progress, thats why i weigh my self everyday. I know its bad but i cant help it : (.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Of course you haven't gained that amunt of fat in such a short space of time - it would be impossible. Your weight will vary through the day. You'll be lighter in the morning than the evening. You'll be heavier after a meal and a drink. You'll be lighter after you've been to the toilet, Etc,etc,etc.

Don't torture yourself with endless weighing. Your weight will go up and down all the time. Even the skinniest person's weight is never the same day in, day out.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Actually, its strange, im almost off my period, i was on it this past week, sundays my last day. oh and i forgot, ive also started weight training too. And its hard being young, and i use to be small/ skinny , to not go over broad with the whole weight lossing thing, Im really sick of being this " big" so i like to see progress, thats why i weigh my self everyday. I know its bad but i cant help it : (.

Honestly, I step on the scale almost every day, too (even though it's not recommended). BUT - I EXPECT to see my weight go up and down over the week. I don't allow myself to get upset if it goes up a bit. I only count the "official" weigh-ins once a week - this is what I log on MFP. Plus, I ONLY weigh once a day (at the most) at the same time each day (first thing in the morning) - this way I know it is comparable to my last weigh-in.

If you can allow yourself to look at the scale every day and not be upset when it inevitably goes up and down, then this is okay, but if you are going to be upset anytime it goes up a little, I'd highly recommend you only weigh yourself once a week. Put the scale in the closet if you have to - ask a friend or s.o. to have custody of it and give it to you once a week to weigh-in. It sounds silly, but many people have done those kind of things to keep themselves from going crazy by weighing in too often.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctates all day... and it will fluctate from day to day... You have to look at the overall line.... Just stick to your plan. Definitely don't weigh yourself in the middle of the day. Just weigh every morning at the same time.

Also, check out the Rosedale Diet... It is a lifestyle change, but it is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I am down 51lbs.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's true! I was weighing myself everyday (multiple times) and I was going crazy! You're not alone. I was really losing my motivation. My friend told me she had gone through the same thing and had to have her fiancee hide the scale from her. I tried it and it really helped. I now hide my scale in the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom and only take it out for Thursday morning weigh in. Once I got used to the weekly weigh in it to a lot of stress off because I wasn't concentrating so much on my weight but more on how I felt and the changes I could see and feel in my body. Like how going for a long walk wasn't exhausting like before or how my pants are starting to feel loose. Measuring yourself is also a good idea. It's another way to show yourself your progress!
  • katiejo42
    katiejo42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm on kid no.2 as well - granted she is only 3.5 weeks old, but I am really trying to lose weight this time.

Last time I lost weight very quickly, but put it on again (and then some!) between pregnancies.

This time I lost 39lb in the 2 weeks after the birth, but in the last week and a half have put 8lb back on! Not really sure what's going on. I have an infection from the C-section and have been put on anti-biotics so I'm hoping it's water retention/reaction to them? Otherwise I don't know why either.

If you figure it out, let me know, but in the mean time - good luck and keep going!! Having fit, healthy bodies is so important to model to our kids.

God bless.
    xxx
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Understanding Daily Weight Fluctuations: http://www.ehow.com/how_4716731_understand-daily-weight-fluctuations.html

This article was VERY helpful to me and I think you will find it too.

Bottom line is - it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain a pound in one day as REAL weight gain takes 3,500 calories for one pound. That pound on the scale is called water weight, and it's absolutely nothing for you to beat yourself up about. My weight fluctuates up to 5 lbs during the day and I've had times where I wake up 3 lbs heavier according to the scale. Just keep in mind that this isn't actual fat weight. I recommend only weighing yourself once a week if it will make it easier on you.
  • jpericoli
    Options
    sounds like you are doing everything correct as far as having a exercise program. it sounds like water gain is your issue. trying monitoring your daily sodium intake. I notice i have an daily five pound fluatation .