5:2 fast question :)

Options
I am on my 4th week of the 5:2 fast. Today I decided to have some raw veggies with laughing cow cheese at lunch instead of skipping completely. I have felt much better today in doing so, however I do not want to mess with the program...is it ok to have your 500 calories anytime throughout the day, or is that missing the point?

Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    5:2 - I don't think it cares when you have the measly 500 cals Your body isn't keeping an exact count of hours, just calories.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree. The 500 calories can be at any time during your fasting day.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    is it ok to have your 500 calories anytime throughout the day, or is that missing the point?
    Not ANYTIME throughout the day, only when you are not supposed to fast. Cos if you are fasting and still eating at a time you should be fasting you are not really fasting, are you? Kinda ruins the whole point of fasting...

At days you are not fasting I imagine you can ate at every time you want.
  • Too_Unfit_To_Quit
    Options
    I personally don't think it matters, although I will say I feel I've had better successes by truly fasting the entire day and reserving my full 500 for when I break my fast at dinner :) Although, I have friends who are also 5:2'ing who munch their 500 throughout the day and are also having good results. I say do what feels right for you and your body! The point is you're doing it, no matter what babysteps you need to take! Good Luck!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    is it ok to have your 500 calories anytime throughout the day, or is that missing the point?
    Not ANYTIME throughout the day, only when you are not supposed to fast. Cos if you are fasting and still eating at a time you should be fasting you are not really fasting, are you? Kinda ruins the whole point of fasting...

This post makes no sense to me.

You can split up your calories and eat them at intervals during the day, save them for one meal - taken at any time to suit you - or do whatever you want with them.
    Personally, I don't find it hard not to eat breakfast, so I skip it. Sometimes I skip lunch too, sometimes I have a cup soup or a light salad. Then I have an evening meal, usually fish or chicken with lots of veggies.

You do what suits you, it'll be fine! :-)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think the intention of the 5:2 fast is to have a block of hours where you do not eat and thus "fast". However, recognizing that every human body is not exactly the same, if I were you I would conduct an experiment. You have done the 5:2 fast the "original" way, now you can conduct a couple of weeks of your new way. See if you get same or different results. Good luck sweetheart.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options

This post makes no sense to me.

You can split up your calories and eat them at intervals during the day, save them for one meal - taken at any time to suit you - or do whatever you want with them.
    Personally, I don't find it hard not to eat breakfast, so I skip it. Sometimes I skip lunch too, sometimes I have a cup soup or a light salad. Then I have an evening meal, usually fish or chicken with lots of veggies.

You do what suits you, it'll be fine! :-)

If you split them up and eat throughout the day, then you are no longer fasting. This is my problem with the 5:2 Diet (which I follow), is that most people don't use it as a fast, but as a calorie-restricted diet and still call it a fast. I incorporate Eat, Stop, Eat into 5:2 so I can do a real fast.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

You are confusing 5:2 with intermediate fasting...the two are completely different methods.

OP: I dont' do 5:2 myself, but I have friends who do and they eat whenever they want. Some do it all at once in the evening, others break it up over the course of the day. It really all depends on how you want to do it.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Mosley eats breakfast and dinner. I do lunch and dinner. Others graze, eat three meals or just one.

You can eat your cals whenever you like. You can mix and match as it suits you.

The only 'rule' to 5:2 is stay around 500cals. It is not a fast without food. It is a restriction of cals to about 1/4 of normal cal intake during a 24-36h period, allowing your body to go into repair mode. The weightloss is a very nice side effect.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    With this 5:2 diet how do you maintain energy thru out the day while "fasting"?....Especially with kids and the dreadful once a month ordeal
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I split my fast days over three meals and a snack generally. It has been working well for me. I have friends that do an all out nothing fast and it works for them. Basically this is something you would want to maintain for life as a healthy way of living and so you want to find something that feels right for you and fits into your lifestyle. Enjoy.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    With this 5:2 diet how do you maintain energy thru out the day while "fasting"?....Especially with kids and the dreadful once a month ordeal

Well, on the 5 days you are not fasting, you eat at or close to your maintenance intake. The amount of food I had the night before usually carries me well into the next afternoon as far as energy goes.
  • jennegan1
    Options

Well, on the 5 days you are not fasting, you eat at or close to your maintenance intake. The amount of food I had the night before usually carries me well into the next afternoon as far as energy goes.

Oh ok....maybe Ill give it a try
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options

I don't do 5:2 anymore because I decided I deal with constant low level deprivation better that occasional extreme deprivation. However, when I do was doing it I never had a problem with energy. No problems whatsoever with performing in a notoriously high stress job, or doing big workouts.
  • jennegan1
    Options

I don't do 5:2 anymore because I decided I deal with constant low level deprivation better that occasional extreme deprivation. However, when I do was doing it I never had a problem with energy. No problems whatsoever with performing in a notoriously high stress job, or doing big workouts.

Thank you for answering that.....I should of realized this earlier when I first asked when I was anorexic at one point in my life that I was still able to have energy thru out the day but now with 2 kids that why I was wondering how it will affect my energy thru out the day
  • angie007az
    Options
    I am on my 4th week of the 5:2 fast. Today I decided to have some raw veggies with laughing cow cheese at lunch instead of skipping completely. I have felt much better today in doing so, however I do not want to mess with the program...is it ok to have your 500 calories anytime throughout the day, or is that missing the point?

Thanks!

According to Dr. Michael Mosley, there were several studies done. Some people spread out the calories throughout the day. Some people had just one meal on the fasting day. Some ate just half the calories at breakfast and half at dinner. Which is better? The one that works for you. That was the answer on his website (The Fast Diet) under 'Michael answers frequently asked questions'. Good luck!
  • mlcdz
    mlcdz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with Angie. Dr. Mosley was really open about when you have your 500 calories - it's what will work for you. Not that I'm much of an authority, as I've only been doing this 2 weeks, but I have voraciously read, watched and researched whatever I can about this. For me, the flexibility is key here at the beginning. I know there are a few tweaks folks make later in, but right now, I just want to get used to it, get through the holidays and see if it really works. I found the video below really helpful. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Looking for active 5:2 buddies????
    Add meeee
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    For those who are doing the 5:2, do you exercise normally (heavy or light) on those days.

I was thinking of allocating myself 1000 for the day, then subtract 500 calories for my exercise, leaving with only eating 500 for the day. Guess this looks like cheating.
  • angie007az
    Options
    For those who are doing the 5:2, do you exercise normally (heavy or light) on those days.

I was thinking of allocating myself 1000 for the day, then subtract 500 calories for my exercise, leaving with only eating 500 for the day. Guess this looks like cheating.

I think you will find that 1000 is not much especially if you are exercising to 500 calories. Over the long haul, that would be really low. I use the treadmill and exercise to about 225 calories burned, everyday, fasting or not. I am eating about 1200 per day and then on fasting days, I sometimes eat to 500 and sometimes I don't eat at all. Do what works for you. That is the main thing.