Calories burnt networking?

Options
2»

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I would really appreciate it if people gave me the INFORMATION that I want, and not tell me what to do.

I already know I drank more calories during that hour then I could possible have burnt.

BUT I am a data analyst, and I like to have all the data.

That way I can make informed decisions for MYSELF instead of relying on other people to tell me what I should or should not do.

You didn't even ask a question in the OP, actually. So don't act like they answered the wrong one.

The question was in the topic title, the post was my explanation of the question.

I did do research, it said 126 calories which I thought sounded too high.

So then take an hour of calculated TDEE away from 126 cals, and that'll be your answer (ish).
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    OP Question: Calories burnt networking?

Answer: Assuming you mean that in terms of net increase above your TDEE, a numerically insignificant amount. In terms of getting accurate data, you don't have accurate measurements to generate data that's in any way accurate from.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your employment as a data analyst, things like this should not be factored in. And just because something gets you winded or tires you out doesn't mean it burns a significant amount of calories. The only thing you're accomplishing here is overcomplicating it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Wut? If I burned calories talking I would weigh 10 pounds. Did you wear an HRM to get an accurate read? No?
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories I burned responding to this post.

Seriously networking is mentally taxing, if you're exhausted it's probably your brain not your body from standing around flapping your gums.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well OP, I was just trying to explain to you what I think. I'm not telling you what to do. No need to get snippy. Also, if you are such the data analyst, you would have known that no one could possibly answer this correctly as there are so many different factors here. Have a wonderful day :)
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I attended a conference today, and it ended with about an hour of networking, i.e. walking slowly around a room talking to as many people as possible about anything and everything.

And now I am exhausted.

Surely I must have burnt at least a few calories doing that.

Nice try. Forget it.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Standing for an hour burns about a calorie per pound of bodyweight. (120 pound woman burns 120 calories, etc.)

I highly doubt these #'s and would be very cautious about adding anything like that to a calorie log.

I was at a function the other night for 2.5 hrs and at 160 lbs, no way I burned 400 calories.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Maybe just change your activity level for the day to reflect your activity with this included.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Networking is standing around yapping and handing off business cards. It's not exercise.