7 months in only lost 34.4lbs, ultimate goal is 115lbs lost

Options
Hey there, I'm 7 months in and haven't lost hardly weight in almost two months. In the beginning I was eating around 1600 calories a day, working out at least 3 times a week doing mostly walking/hiking/and some gym time. I was dropping the weight pretty consistently but around July/August I started to feel really agitated, hungry, and light headed all the time and because of that I started eating more calories, usually around 2,000 calories. I've been sticking to the 2,000 calories for a number of months now and I feel a lot more content and energized but the weight loss has pretty much stopped for the last two months. I have continued to workout 3 times a week mostly with walking/hiking.

I feel like at 7 months I should have lost more weight. Should I lower the calories to say about 1800 and mix up my exercises more? I have a pinched nerve in my back so I tend to stick to the lower impact exercises. I'm feeling very frustrated but I refuse to quit. I was hoping to get to my goal weight by Halloween 2014 for my wedding but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen at this rate and I still want to lose 90 or so pounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I welcome new friends.

Replies

• Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How many cals does MFP tell you to consume? It told me 1200 with no exercise to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I like your numbers better. LOL.
  • rachelrrl
    rachelrrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For about 1.5lbs a week it says 1830. I'm tall, 5'9", and have a lot of weight to lose so my numbers are high.
  • Gustavalos
    Options
    Good luck in your journey! I've lost 70 lbs. in 8 months. I weighed 440 and now I'm at 370. 285 is my goal. (I'm a Center for a semi-pro football team). I too stalled for like two months 'cause I didn't care anymore, so I ate whatever. I started losing more weight since I started eating healthier instead of just lifting and cardio. It's honestly all in the diet. Fast food was the thing that was killing me. Literally. I decided to really cut down on it. Maybe once or twice a week. What has also been working great for me is a high protein diet, no less than 200g. You can change it up for yourself since I do intense lifting and I'm a 19 year old male. I like to get Omega 3's and 6's too. Those have helped me. A fish oil supplement, cold-milled flaxseed and chia seed are great. I also eat about 4-6x a day but smaller meals. Adjust everything for yourself. Give it a shot for about two weeks and see how it works out for you. Also, drink lots of water! I've been drinking about a gallon a day. If you haven't tried these, give em a shot. Hopefully this will help you. :)
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't a major contributor to weight loss so adjusting things there isn't going to make much of a difference. When you've stalled out, it's time to cut calories.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    Good luck to you as well, it sounds like you are doing well!

I will step up the water and protein. In the past when I ate more protein I noticed a significant increase in energy and a far easier time losing weight, it's just expensive to eat a lot of protein. The past few weeks I have noticed I have been going over my calories a bit too much, so I have to stop that, need to make better choices.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    @sjace - Will do. Lowered the calories to 1830, think that should help me get on the right track. Thank you for your response.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ok that makes sense then. I'm only 5'4 and have 38 to lose.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    @skarlet13 - yeah, it makes a big difference.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Are you using a Digital Scale? Start measuring and logging every last bite. The reason you have lost no weight is because you are probably eating at maintenance
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm five nine and my ultimate goal is 170 pounds...They say I need to eat, about, 1400 calories/day to lose 2 pounds/week...It is pretty consistent with me...I get a lot of exercise on my job, but it is still slow going ...I have gone thru menopause and the weight doesn't want to budge...I am, also, on some medication where, I think, it has been harder to lose the weight...Also, this time of year it is very hard to lose weight...I have been at a plateau for a month...This program works if you follow what they say and don't cheat...That is easier said than done...

Reaan
  • Gustavalos
    Options
    Thank you. Yeah, it sure is. Your health really has no price tag though. Aha. See, there ya go! Get ya protein in! Also, I feel full quicker and less hungry when I'm getting in a high amount of protein. Just remember about your wedding, your goals and what you wanna accomplish. Remind yourself every morning, before every meal and before every workout. That's how I find motivation. Once again, good luck!!
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    Are you using a Digital Scale? Start measuring and logging every last bite. The reason you have lost no weight is because you are probably eating at maintenance

I need to get a food scale, it's on my list but money is always so tight. I was thinking that myself about the calories I was consuming, I've lowered it and will be eating at around 1800 to see how that goes. Thanks for your help.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    I'm five nine and my ultimate goal is 170 pounds...They say I need to eat, about, 1400 calories/day to lose 2 pounds/week...It is pretty consistent with me...I get a lot of exercise on my job, but it is still slow going ...I have gone thru menopause and the weight doesn't want to budge...I am, also, on some medication where, I think, it has been harder to lose the weight...Also, this time of year it is very hard to lose weight...I have been at a plateau for a month...This program works if you follow what they say and don't cheat...That is easier said than done...

Reaan

That is basically my ultimate goal as well. I have a pretty sedentary existence at the moment so I don't get much physical activity except for my planned exercise times. It is really hard to lose weight this time of year, there are get togethers all the time with so much junk food. We are in the same boat it sounds like.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    Thank you. Yeah, it sure is. Your health really has no price tag though. Aha. See, there ya go! Get ya protein in! Also, I feel full quicker and less hungry when I'm getting in a high amount of protein. Just remember about your wedding, your goals and what you wanna accomplish. Remind yourself every morning, before every meal and before every workout. That's how I find motivation. Once again, good luck!!

I'm planning my menu for tomorrow - eggs, tuna, and nuts. I definitely agree with you there, protein makes you feel really full. I wish I could drown out the "must be goal weight for wedding" haha, it is a consistent little pest but it keeps me going. You too.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A digital scale is clutch when it comes to weight loss. If you'd like, I can send you a good digital scale.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    A digital scale is clutch when it comes to weight loss. If you'd like, I can send you a good digital scale.

That is extremely sweet of you to offer but I couldn't accept it. I will get one eventually. Thank you so so much though.
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi there, in 11 months I have lost 37lbs, with another 7lbs to go to reach my target. I have many had ups and downs on this journey. But the way I looked at it. I did'nt put 42lbs on in 12 months so hbeing realistic should it take 12 months to loose my weight. Be please at how much you have lost and ask yourself how long did it take to put your 115lbs on? I wish you well on your journey.????
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    Hi there, in 11 months I have lost 37lbs, with another 7lbs to go to reach my target. I have many had ups and downs on this journey. But the way I looked at it. I did'nt put 42lbs on in 12 months so hbeing realistic should it take 12 months to loose my weight. Be please at how much you have lost and ask yourself how long did it take to put your 115lbs on? I wish you well on your journey.????

Congrats on your loss, only 7lbs left is fantastic! You must be so excited. This is very true, I'm reversing years of bad habits and even if it's not as fast as I'd hoped it is still incredible. I wish you luck too.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options

I need to get a food scale, it's on my list but money is always so tight. I was thinking that myself about the calories I was consuming, I've lowered it and will be eating at around 1800 to see how that goes. Thanks for your help.

I work in advertising so i always thought i would be good at eyeballing my portions. It was after i got a digital scale that i found out i had been going over by around 200 cals for 3 months straight. Food scales are very cheap and a very important weight loss tool so moving it up your to buy list would be a good idea
  • rachelrrl
    Options

I agree, I know how easy it can be to underestimate your calories when you truly don't know, I'm sure I definitely engage in it. I definitely will make a food scale a priority next time I get paid.

I work in advertising so i always thought i would be good at eyeballing my portions. It was after i got a digital scale that i found out i had been going over by around 200 cals for 3 months straight. Food scales are very cheap and a very important weight loss tool imo!