Interesting Article on the Cost of Eating "Healthy"

Options
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/05/healthy-eating-costs-you-1-50-more-a-day/?hpt=hp_t3

Here is an article posted today on CNN about a study that looked at the cost of healthy food vs. the cost of unhealthy/processed food to see if eating healthy actually did cost more.

For those who may not have time to read the study, here is the abridged version:

Eating healthy, they estimated costs the average person $1.50 more per day than some who chooses to eat more processed foods.

Less than what I would have figured. I know most of us around here have said it before, that eating healthier just takes a little more time to plan, but on average, you are saving more money by not having to go to the DR as often. You lower your risk of contracting diabeties and other obesity related issues that end up costing you more. So for $1.50 a day, I will take that over thousands of dollars in medical bills.

*disclaimer: yes, I know the study is flawed, they talk about that in the article. ALL studies have bias and margins for error, but be that as it may, it at least sheds some light on a popular excuse that people give themselves to justify why they eat the way they do. Maybe this will help give someone a push to finally eat healthier and realize that it doesn't cost that much more.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    About 180.00 more a month for a family of 4, not a big deal unless it isn't in the budget as well as other factors associated with the management of cooking as opposed to heating something up.
  • jaredmcfitness
    jaredmcfitness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Speaking personally, when I was fully on my "eating healthy" kick, my grocery bill shot up quite a bit--since I was buying so much fresh produce. But even then it was still well worth it--since I lost 20 lbs the first two months. In fact, I think the cost incentivized me to use up the groceries and bring leftovers to work, etc. I was also eating out less, so I was probably saving in that regard. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Great article and thanks for sharing. For me I see it as $1.50 a day to eat healthy and $1.50 a day to fill in that gap with Juice Plus+ which is more fruits and vegetables. My $3 a day investment is well worth the insurance of better health and reducing the possibility of suffering from a disease for years and incurring the costs for medical treatments.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    $45 bucks a month per person? That seems low. Although I suppose it really depends on your definition of healthy and the food choices you make. I had to stop buying organic due to costs. (and i'm not happy about it, but I can't feed my teenager enough with how much it costs), but I do avoid as much GMO as possible and eat whole raw foods as much as possible,. I also still get cage free eggs.

The reduction in medical bills is a good motivator, but with the new obamacare monstrosity, it's not going to make a difference if we are healthy or not.. premium speaking, i guess it will save you from paying your deductible though...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    "Rao and her team looked at studies done after 2000 that compared healthy and unhealthy version of certain foods - for example, lean beef vs. a fattier cut, and studies that compared healthy and unhealthy diet patterns, such as a diet rich in fruits and vegetables versus a diet without fresh produce."

That seems arbitrary on what is considered unhealthy and healthy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    $1.50 per day between "healthiest" and "unhealthiest" is amazingly small. I am firmly in the camp that eating healthy is NOT expensive, but for someone firmly committed to a truly horrific diet, you can get your daily calorie fix for very little money. I mean, you can do 1600 calories of Little Debbie a day for under $2!

This makes me wonder if even the "unhealthy" options in the study were reasonably healthy.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the inevitable argument over what "healthy" food entails . . . Ok. No. I'm not
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    About 180.00 more a month for a family of 4, not a big deal unless it isn't in the budget as well as other factors associated with the management of cooking as opposed to heating something up.
    I think it would be easy enough to lower that bill, though, if you're careful. And "eating healthy" also usually means eating less, so it all comes out in the wash, I would think.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    I think it would be easy enough to lower that bill, though, if you're careful. And "eating healthy" also usually means eating less, so it all comes out in the wash, I would think.

Be careful, you might have just proven common sense. ;-)
  • rml_16
    Options

Be careful, you might have just proven common sense. ;-)
    Can't be. I think tea can count toward liquid intake for the day. Therefore, I have no common sense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I spend less now than I ever did before. I don't eat out save for maybe once or twice per month as something "special"...that has saved me a fortune. Also, I buy primarily frozen veg rather than fresh and it's quite a bit cheaper. There are some fresh veggies I buy, but mostly I do frozen. I buy fruit in season and don't buy exotic fruits and vegs unless it's something special I'm doing. I buy and prepare dried beans in bulk as well as oats and other grains and rices...cheap and I can feed my small army (including 2 ravenous boys) without spending a fortune. Eggs are cheap and I don't look down on fattier and tougher cuts of meat that need some more time cooking...I do not believe fat to necessarily be "unhealthy" so it's o big deal to have a fatier cut to me...I can feed my clan several meals from 15-20 Lbs of beef brisket or a cheap pork shoulder. Yes, we eat our lean meats as well and there are usually sales on chicken, pork, etc...just have to stock up when you can.

Really, I've never thought it to be more expensive...I think when you get into the "need" for everything to be organic or locally gorwn, etc...yeah...that gets expensive...but you can eat nutrient dense whole foods without spending a fortune.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I used to think it would cost more to eat healthy. I have myself and 2 young kids to feed, and often their idea of what is good is much different than mine! However, I have found ways to adapt their favorite meals into something that is healthier that I can eat as well. Not only that, but when I really started to measure my founds I found that I wasn't going through it as quickly. I don't measure for my kids, just for myself and what a difference that makes! For example, I enjoy cottage cheese with pineapple. In the past I would have had the entire can of pineapple and would've just spooned in whatever for the cottage cheese. With measuring, that pineapple lasts 3 days and the cottage cheese almost a week. That's just one example. I don't feel like I'm starving or going without and I would say that my grocery bill is about the same as it was before I started eatin healthier.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Generally eating healthy means consuming more nutrient dense foods which compared to restaurant, fast food or packaged food on a calorie for calorie basis means your eating more, not less.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

nope.. i eat more now that I eat healthy and my son eats a lot before and now. I used to eat 1 filet of fish and a lot of potatoes and/or rice and sides.. now I eat 12 oz of fish,. with veggies and a huge salad. makes my plate cost a lot more then the previous one. Same with chicken. I eat 12 oz or more in a sitting and along with fresh veggies and a salad. I put tuna or chicken in my lunch salads, I eat a lot more eggs and cheese sticks. For some reason 6oz of steak fills me up? I just cant' eat 12 oz of steak, then again.. I'm not a huge steak lover so maybe that's why. but I get leaner cuts of steak when i'm in the mood now. I eat nuts and peanut butter more often. I buy good quality dark chocolate instead of snickers.. It costs more. period.. and then to add a teenager who need these good eating habits ingrained in him, yea.. more the 45 dollars there. it's working though. My son knows what is healthy and what is not in a store and how to decide that. Not that he eats that way all the time.. (he is a teen ya know) lol
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Not sure I agree with this. Of course there is the debate of what constitutes "healthy", I.e. Leaner cut of meat are not necessarily healthier. What about cuts like liver or pork shoulder, real cheap and real healthy. Lots of other cheap protein sources, like eggs and dried lentils, too. Second, there are ways of getting produce in a cost effective manner, like buying local fruits and veg in season (like strawberries and asparagus), and when not in season, buy frozen (freezing process conserves lots of the nutrients). You can also be strategic about it and only buy when frozen food is on sale. You don't have to eat fresh lettuce salad every day, you can have sautéed frozen kale or spinach. At the grocery store, I see what others buy (cart full of processed stuff) and there is no way I am spending more money than them per mouth to feed. Pizza pockets, pop tarts, crackers and frozen dinners. Gimme a break! That ain't cheap! And it certainly isn't healthy.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can only speak as a single person. But since I changed over to eating healthy, my food cost is down about half of what I use to spend.
    My meals are now 90% veggies and 10% meat. But there are times when meatless meats are also in the mix.
    I mainly eat fish and chicken for my meats. Once every two weeks, I treat myself to red meat.
    I do notice it's a big difference in taste of grain feed red meat!
    My fave is fixing a pot of pinto, navy or red beans! I do this and measure out one cup portions to freeze and eat later..
    I was never a big soda drinker so green tea and water every day.
    Aidi's have some of the best pricing on fresh and frozen veggies and I can buy alot!
    I also don't eat out like I use to. I will treat myself and found out the last time I went out with my mother, nothing really just appeal to me that much.
    I feel 1,000% better, sleep better and losing weight.
  • bikerist
    Options
    We've spent less on food since switching to organic. It makes you mindful of what you're putting in your basket. Preparing food from scratch also cuts down costs.
  • zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've spent much less on produce this year since I started participating in Bountiful Baskets, a food co-op. I buy one basket a week, sometimes with some add ons, and make it a game to eat the whole thing before the next week. Not only is it cheap, but I've got to try (and learn how to cook) a whole bunch of things I never would have tried before.
  • rml_16
    Options

nope.. i eat more now that I eat healthy and my son eats a lot before and now. I used to eat 1 filet of fish and a lot of potatoes and/or rice and sides.. now I eat 12 oz of fish,. with veggies and a huge salad. makes my plate cost a lot more then the previous one. Same with chicken. I eat 12 oz or more in a sitting and along with fresh veggies and a salad. I put tuna or chicken in my lunch salads, I eat a lot more eggs and cheese sticks. For some reason 6oz of steak fills me up? I just cant' eat 12 oz of steak, then again.. I'm not a huge steak lover so maybe that's why. but I get leaner cuts of steak when i'm in the mood now. I eat nuts and peanut butter more often. I buy good quality dark chocolate instead of snickers.. It costs more. period.. and then to add a teenager who need these good eating habits ingrained in him, yea.. more the 45 dollars there. it's working though. My son knows what is healthy and what is not in a store and how to decide that. Not that he eats that way all the time.. (he is a teen ya know) lol
    OK. I eat less when I eat healthy. It's more filling and I don't need as much.