Best way to tone my butt:)

Options
What's the best way to do this? I'm not exactly wanting to get "ripped" or anything like that. I want to tone my butt...I have heard squats...but I don't really like those....but if needed, will do. Just curious....thanks!

Megan:)

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Not just squats, but heavy barbell squats. No lie. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women if you want details or proof.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts and all the variances in between. Nothing better then these IMHO.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Squats and Deadlifts are your best friends.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    In addition to heavy squats and deadlifts, I'd also like to add barbell hip thrusts. Google them. My glutes get targeted with this exercise like nothing I've ever experienced even with squatting 200 pounds.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    Something to consider, if you are not squatting heavy with your *kitten* to the grass, you're doing it wrong...
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    In addition to heavy squats and deadlifts, I'd also like to add barbell hip thrusts. Google them. My glutes get targeted with this exercise like nothing I've ever experienced even with squatting 200 pounds.

I was never a fan of these, but they do work. I prefer the Romanian Deadlift :P
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) toning isn't a thing.

2.) Lift heavy.

Starting strength
    Strong Lifts
    New rules of lifting
    Strong curves

This will help with a lot of things... including defining and making your bootay more perky
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yes, hip thrusts and barbell glute bridges do work. Most people don't get the maximum benefit from squats because they don't go low enough. Reduce the weight if you have to, but your hips have to get parallel with the knees or even lower to really work the glutes. :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yes, hip thrusts and barbell glute bridges do work. Most people don't get the maximum benefit from squats because they don't go low enough. Reduce the weight if you have to, but your hip crease must to get parallel with the knees or even lower to really work the glutes. :drinker:

fixed that for you.

also agree with BB glute bridges- I hate the idea of doing them- but pushing 200 lbs with your butt alone straight up like that- is killer
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Thank you all sooooooooo much! This is super helpful! I want to work this butt off:) Literally:) Lol.
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    I was pointed to this site today by another MFP'er - here's a page dedicated to 'toning'!

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • Jane2285
    Options
    You guys are great:) I love it!!!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have been doing squats for the past 2 months straight and mines is really getting toned wven my legs are tighter. See my pic in profile..the left is the before pic. I started again with them for this month and will keep going.
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    <<<<<I do 1000 squats and lunges a week and have been building up to it for 7 months and it gives me an *kitten* like that. I do them with x 22 kg kettlebells now
  • Jane2285
    Options
    I was pointed to this site today by another MFP'er - here's a page dedicated to 'toning'!

I loved this article! It really helped to build my confidence! I know that I'm not doing anything wrong...necessarily...It's good to feel that I was right, I need to lose weight and body fat!!!
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I loved this article! It really helped to build my confidence! I know that I'm not doing anything wrong...necessarily...It's good to feel that I was right, I need to lose weight and body fat!!!

Good article
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Squats of all kinds and deadlifts. My butt is a source of pride for me now.:laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, glute bridges, lunges etc. with weights are all good butt workouts.

The real question is, what do you mean by tone? Do you want to lose fat on your butt? Do the above with a calorie deficit. To you want to build a bigger, shapelier rear? Do the above with a calorie surplus.