looking for ideas to expand hobbies & interest horizons

Options
Madame_Goldbricker
Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
As of tomorrow I'll be finishing a beginners archery course. I've learnt many new things including; I have muscles in my back & I don't loathe sport as much as I thought I did. Whilst I'm debating whether to sign up for the club or not. I've decided to embrace the mantra "don't knock it till you've tried it". Bearing this in mind I'm fishing for some ideas of other new things to try out. Any ideas/suggestions folks would be much appreciated. What activities do you all do?

*Drinking, smoking, sexual gymnastics are not valid contributions. These are recreations I'm already aware of. Cheers

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Sexual acrobatics. Completely different sport to what you mentioned.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options

Total technicality, and "acrobatics" leads me to believe the use of specialized equipment may be necessary.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I love biking. And Hiking. And I run, but I don't love it. I am getting ready to do an Obstacle course race. Boating and drinking are by far my favorites though, lol.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Take a ballet dance class? I hear they use a lot of muscles you didnt know you had.
  • djeffreys10
    Options

Total technicality, and "acrobatics" leads me to believe the use of specialized equipment may be necessary.

And that's supposed to be a bad thing? :huh:
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fitness wise I agree with biking, cross country skiing is also fun and a good burn if you live in a colder climate
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options

Not a bad thing at all. I just have concerns surrounding storage space relating to Olympic sized floor mats, swing chairs, poles, or highwires. Although I do have access to a chandelier I could hang upside down from at a push.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live but, motorcross riding will work muscles you never thought you had.
  • djeffreys10
    Options

Not a bad thing at all. I just have concerns surrounding storage space relating to Olympic sized floor mats, swing chairs, poles, or highwires. Although I do have access to a chandelier I could hang upside down from at a push.

urvWkqz.jpg
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just wanting to say that I think it's SO AWESOME that you are trying out archery. I love it - makes me feel like a badass :drinker:

I don't have any concrete suggestions for you, other than if there is one class/activity that you enjoy doing a lot, look into other related activites to see if you'd like them just as much if not more. For instance I tried yoga for the first time about 2 years ago and really enjoyed it, so then these past few months I decided to try a yoga/pilates class to see how the two differered and related, and I've found that I like pilates more. I've also, just though reading the forums on here and reading articles (when they have them) in the local newpaper, discovered many different types of activites that I never even heard of before - I want to try doing "the bar method" next as it incorporates some yoga/pilates/resistence and strength training type moves with the ballet bar, and I did always want to be a ballerina :ohwell:
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I enjoy hobbies that get me outside and involved in science in a very recreational way:

Birding or bird-watching: test your skills of observation and memory while enjoying a hike someplace beautiful.

Astronomy: Binoculars or a telescope open up your experience of the sky in a totally new way. Putting the telescope on the sidewalk always attracts a crowd and a typical evening becomes an event. When you can read the sky like a map and you know where the planets are, it is more useful knowledge than who won American Idol or Survivor.

Gardening: Probably the most optimistic of hobbies - "I will not kill this plant!" "Bugs and bunnies will not eat these veggies before I do."

Magic: Every town has a magic club, and anyone can learn some good effects (tricks). Best way possible to meet really weird eccentric people!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Tai chi?
  • Grider056
    Options
    *kitten* for 13 hrs at a time is a outdoor hobby of mine.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Learn to play an instrument, or a new language.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As of tomorrow I'll be finishing a beginners archery course. I've learnt many new things including; I have muscles in my back & I don't loathe sport as much as I thought I did. Whilst I'm debating whether to sign up for the club or not. I've decided to embrace the mantra "don't knock it till you've tried it". Bearing this in mind I'm fishing for some ideas of other new things to try out. Any ideas/suggestions folks would be much appreciated. What activities do you all do?

*Drinking, smoking, sexual gymnastics are not valid contributions. These are recreations I'm already aware of. Cheers

My husband built me a greenhouse. I'm into growing my own vegetables and flowers. I even have a lemon tree. :-)
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I have lower mobility problems, here is what I do:

Kayak fishing; great workout for upper body, core, back and stomach. Inner/outer thighs are worked by continuous balancing. Not only the paddling but also the casting. Go out for a couple of hours and if your bass fishing its like swinging a weighted 7-7 1/2 foot stick 300-400 times.

Gardening: holy cow! spring and fall fantastic burns; some days in spring I can get over 4200 cal per day burns (I have a big garden and it is all hand worked and 100% organic)

Tai Chi: muscle groups and balance. Tai Chi is most likely the only reason that I can walk unassisted at times.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    my grandma taught me to crochet when I was a little girl .... it is a relaxing hobby for me :)
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Shooting is one of my favs. Ammo can be expensive these days though.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I participate in two leagues a week, bowling and volleyball. Bowling is something I've always done with friends and we have 3 local rec centers that have adult, co-ed volleyball leagues through the year. Lots of fun and both are exercise!
  • cheekymcgee
    Options
    Photography....I love it and it's a total win-win if you enjoy it. Not only do you get to dabble in the arts, but you create great art that freezes time. :)

I've also always wanted to try roller derby.