Do you feel bad when you miss your workout/cardio session?

Options

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    75% of weightloss is food... so as long as you're not one of those "I eat whatever garbage I want and then work it off in the gym" types... missing a day won't kill you... but yes, I feel like crap if I don't get my workout in. I workout 3x/week and I've been sick... so I've pushed workouts back but still getting in there and doing it even though I feel like crap because I don't want this to set me back in my progress.

I think as long as you stick with your diet though... even if you can't work out... it'll be ok and you won't sabotage yourself doing so.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    I do - and Xmas isn't helping :(

I'll need to work out tonight to burn off my Xmas lunch today :'(

My favorite Holiday is Halloween I was so tempted to eat ALL the candy lol but I survived. Then it was Thanksgiving and I just ate a one BIG PLATE about 1500 Cal but I hit the cardio all week hard to be able to enjoy my wife's cooking. For X-Mas I'm going to just have more self control and I cut 95 % on drinking so New Years will be no biggie :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am down with the flu and it is driving me crazy that I missed an entire week of workouts!!! I am trying to nurse myself to get better hopefully by Monday I will be able to resume normal activities.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    Normally i take it easy on the weekends (i use that time to spend time with my son but we ACTIVELY play and I also clean house)... but during the week i work at a desk and on my hour lunch i KILL my workout. The other day I pulled a muscle in my leg and it devestated me to have to take a rest day. However I'm back in action today :)

Oh no I hope you are doing Ok and get better. I'm really glad you are back just like me :)
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I definitely do feel guilty, but if I know I'm going to miss a workout or something unexpected happens, I try to make up for it in different ways. For example, walking on my breaks at work instead of sitting and chatting. It doesn't cover the calories that I would have burned in a proper workout, but it's better than nothing at all! I also try to eat a little healthier on those days.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    I don't feel guilty if I miss, but if I planned a workout and something comes up to make me miss it, then yes I get a tad upset.

Missing one day doesn't mean you're a failure. Sometimes things come up, and sometimes you just don't feel like going. That's okay. Just accept it and do your next workout as planned.

I know it was just one of those days when you knew you could of giving it 100% and chose to give it 0%. I do accept it and now I'm scared of my workout today lol..
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    I don't know, it hasn't happened yet.

Well that's great and I hope you don't but if you do let me keep us posted.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    I do feel bad when if I miss a day. I'm in a production right now that's just opening tonight so this past week has involved going straight from work to rehearsals until 10 at night and so I haven't had proper time to go out and run. Instead I have spent my lunch breaks at work walking up and down stairs for half an hour. It makes my elbows sweat but it still doesn't feel like enough. lol. That said, I have come to the point before where I was under-eating and over-exercising (for what I ate in a day) and ended up getting stuck on the scale for weeks no matter what I did. I forced myself to eat more and not exercise at all for a few days and then get back at it......magically the numbers started falling again. So, there CAN be some benefit to taking it easy for a day or two.

Yes actually recovery, Why I didn't look at it like that? I guess I was all caught up to me loosing this body fat that I forgot to also take it easy I'm old..lol.. Well I hope you will do great at opening night and please keep me/us posted on that :) BREAK A LEG
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    No. I do tend to want to make up for it though. Next day - more, more, more. So afraid that those pounds will jump back on.
    So you don't give up - you just try to make up for it - or just get back on track the next day. One day won't hurt you - and i keep telling myself that!

That's crazy because that's how I feel like they are magically going to appear...LOL..I'm not and I'm a "Dad on a life time goal" Thank You
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    @dym123, I love your profile pic!!

Now to answer OP. Yes, I do feel guilty when I miss a workout. I know I need the rest days and I take them, but I still feel slightly guilty about it. Plus, I LOVE working out. Love it. As much as some people love watching television. How would they feel to not watch tv for a whole day? Some folks would literally go bonkers, I would imagine. If I miss cardio, I'm usually okay. But the weights? Kills me every single time.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I end up missing half of my planned excercise sessions because I'm just so pathetic. I do feel bad after missing them and hate on myself all day as a result. I know that if I really want something I should be able to do what is necessary to accomplish it. There should be no excuses.

Other than bicyling on Saturdays, I'm a reluctant excerciser (read lazy) but I try to schedule three visits to the gym during the week. Unfortunately, the best time for me to workout is in the morning before I go to work. When that alarm clock goes off at 5AM, I dread getting dressed and going to the gym so much, that I go through all the reasons that I can use to justify not excercising ( it's too cold, I have a headache, didn't sleep enough, creaky knees, need to go to work early, whatever.)

I wish I could establish the habit some of you guys have that would make it part of my personal routine like brushing my teeth. Good thing I have the food part mostly under control.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    75% of weightloss is food... so as long as you're not one of those "I eat whatever garbage I want and then work it off in the gym" types... missing a day won't kill you... but yes, I feel like crap if I don't get my workout in. I workout 3x/week and I've been sick... so I've pushed workouts back but still getting in there and doing it even though I feel like crap because I don't want this to set me back in my progress.

I think as long as you stick with your diet though... even if you can't work out... it'll be ok and you won't sabotage yourself doing so.

You hit it on the head..That's how I used to think a few years back but then I saw how it was not working too good for me and then I realize that Nutrition 75% Exercise 25% and that's how I'm loosing weight by eating right.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    No. But that's in part due to the fact I don't fill my schedule with workouts. I have no workouts scheduled for the weekend, and there are usually 1 or 2 days in the week where I don't have a scheduled workout (even though I may still go do something). This way, not only do I make sure I have recovery time, but I also have the ability to use those open days to make up for missed workouts.

Tonight, for example,it's starting to sound like my friends might want to go out for a few beers after work. My gym closes earlier on Fridays, so I might not fit my workout in. But, because I don't have anything scheduled for tomorrow, I can just do my workout in the morning.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    I am down with the flu and it is driving me crazy that I missed an entire week of workouts!!! I am trying to nurse myself to get better hopefully by Monday I will be able to resume normal activities.
    I hope you get better and drink lots of fluids and tea is great. Keep us posted :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This depends.

Did I miss the workout because I was lazy and allowed the Blerch to catch up and talk me out of it? If yes then yes I feel like crap.

But I miss it because life happens, then no. Just continue on and hit the next session.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    @dym123, I love your profile pic!!

Now to answer OP. Yes, I do feel guilty when I miss a workout. I know I need the rest days and I take them, but I still feel slightly guilty about it. Plus, I LOVE working out. Love it. As much as some people love watching television. How would they feel to not watch tv for a whole day? Some folks would literally go bonkers, I would imagine. If I miss cardio, I'm usually okay. But the weights? Kills me every single time.

Perfect example well I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

You hit it on the head..That's how I used to think a few years back but then I saw how it was not working too good for me and then I realize that Nutrition 75% Exercise 25% and that's how I'm loosing weight by eating right.

I always worry (if you can call it that) about food more than exercise because, while I might not exercise every day aor I may cut a workout short, the odds are very strong that I will still EAT.
  • RileyEli11
    Options
    I end up missing half of my planned excercise sessions because I'm just so pathetic. I do feel bad after missing them and hate on myself all day as a result. I know that if I really want something I should be able to do what is necessary to accomplish it. There should be no excuses.

Other than bicyling on Saturdays, I'm a reluctant excerciser (read lazy) but I try to schedule three visits to the gym during the week. Unfortunately, the best time for me to workout is in the morning before I go to work. When that alarm clock goes off at 5AM, I dread getting dressed and going to the gym so much, that I go through all the reasons that I can use to justify not excercising ( it's too cold, I have a headache, didn't sleep enough, creaky knees, need to go to work early, whatever.)

I wish I could establish the habit some of you guys have that would make it part of my personal routine like brushing my teeth. Good thing I have the food part mostly under control.

You can but I think if you look forward for something at the gym that makes you up and about that would be a great way to wake up and start your day off healthy. Now my best excuse for me to get up at 5 am to do my cardio "you ready" SO I DON'T HAVE TO DO IT LATTER, but after my afternoon workout I end up doing more for some odd reason.
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I feel AWFUL, or that I have failed myself. I do feel like I missed out on something GREAT, though! Working out is something I look forward to on each my scheduled days. Sometimes I have to remind myself to take a day off and rest!! But, if I do miss one, I do feel like I jipped myself out of a chance to achieve my fitness goals that much faster. But I don't trip on it or get all caught up. I just make sure I don't miss the next one. Usually if I miss the workout, it was because I was crazy busy and the day got past me, or I was ill. If I don't workout because I was feeling lazy, like rdhulir said, then that is a different story. I will get on my OWN case for being a punk and copping out. Then I feel bad for letting my principles and mindset be compromised by my own lazy decision. But again, it's right back on the horse!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I hope you get better and drink lots of fluids and tea is great. Keep us posted :)

Thanks! I did lose 4 lbs. the unhealthy way! LOL!