Eating Healthy in Canada IS More Expensive

Options
2»

Replies

• tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's all relative. We get paid more than a lot of countries and our dollar, as of today, is not at par with the US dollar.

I have to point out, that I spend some time in the southern states in the Winter and the cost of fresh vegetables and anything other than pork butt, can put you in the poorhouse.

It's never a good thing to generalize.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Eh, try living in Australia. Things seem to magically double in price (at least) compared to costs in the US.

Bottom line is we're all incredibly lucky! We have homes, access to running water and an abundance of food (at the very least).

If it cost me 50% more to eat healthy I'd still pay it. Just like I'll pay for my gym membership, my bike etc. It's all about priorities.

For arguments sake though, you can't tell me buying fast food every day is that much cheaper than getting to the local market and buying a heap of fruit & veg and preparing your own food. Soups, stews, pastas, stirfrys etc can all be done really cheaply if you want to.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Average minimum wage (2012) in Canada is $10 (US) whereas USA it's 7.25. Quite a difference.

Only hormone free cows can be used fr dairy products in Canada.In the US,you pay a lot extra for that.