Anyone watch sound of music?

Options
dumb_blondes_rock
dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
I am a theatre snob; I admit this, but I really wasn't impressed with Carrie Underwood's performance. The singing was great, duh, but watching her act was like watching a high school play. I was disappointed because she really does have the look, and she has a wonderful voice, I just wish they would have picked someone who was more experienced in acting, rather than have a mega star for ratings. She did great movements with her hands and whatnot, but the acting was so unbelivable. The children did really great, and the guy who played Rolf was soooooo hottttt...I would tumble down the hills with him anyday, even though I think he might bat for the other team.

Your views?

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched it yet, but I strongly feel that nothing beats the original with Julie Andrews.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Talented singers, yes, of course. Can't fault that though somehow they still didn't hold a candle to the original but that could be just because I am stuck on it being a certain way because that's all we've had for almost 50 years -- except for live theater performances occasionally. But Julie Andrews is the standard and that's hard to live up to no matter how well you can sing. But mainly, I thought that they weren't believable for the time period they were supposed to be portraying. The costumes and the acting came across as just way too modern for 1930s Austria. It was OK but nothing breathtakingly special that I want to repeat or own!
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I didn't catch it but plan on watching it soon. I will probably feel the same way though... I love her voice but she is not an actress.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I watched it, and I agree Carrie's acting was pretty awful. The singing was great though, and overall it was entertaining. I really like Carrie Underwood, but I just wasn't feeling her as Maria.

The actual Von Trapp family even commented that they were disappointed with the choice, and would rather see someone like Anne Hathaway play the part (an experienced actress that can act and sing).
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    My dad told me he saw an interview with the vontrapp kids and they said they laughed the whole way through the movie because it was so inaccurate, the kids personalities werent even close. They said maria was more like the dad, strict with tons of rules, and the dad was more like maria, fun and less strict.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    I'm trying to find it online, but with no luck.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I did not catch the first airing, I am pretty torn.... I love musicals, but remakes tend to disappoint :frown:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I know what you mean. Sweeny Todd is my fav musical, and inwas SOOOO dissapointed withbthe johnny depp version. I almost passed out with excitement at the thought of Johnny Depp being in my fav musical, which he did ok, it was the fact that Helena Carter played mrs lovette....totally the wrong actress and she didnt hold a candle to angela lansbury