Same Weekly Workout Routine. Is this bad?

Options
(Moved from wrong forum) I've read on here that doing the same workout every day causes your muscles to "get used to it" (for lack of better wording), and it's recommended to mix up your workout routine for maximum benefits. I follow a weekly routine which repeats every week (see below for specifics). Will doing the same thing every week also produce the "muscles getting used to it" effect? I'm a big fan of routines, and I really like this one and stick to it, so I would rather keep going. I also don't want to hit a plateau. Any input?

My weekly routine (all hour long group classes at the gym):
Monday- zumba
Tuesday- pilates
Wednesday- body pump
Thursday- piloga
Friday- no classes, either a rest day or circuit training (if a time conflict arose that week for another class)
Saturday- advanced piloga
Sunday- yoga

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    If you like what you're doing and you're sticking to it then by all means. Keep at it.

One question though: Where is your weight training? What are your goals?
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Goals: Lose weight. Am down 20 lbs, got around 40 lbs to go. As for weight training, I don't really do any. I almost always increase my weights within a week or two in body pump, and we use 5 lb hand weights in some of the classes, but I don't do any heavy lifting. I don't know how and I don't have anyone to go with. I know that it's an awesome thing, but I just don't see myself realistically doing it by myself.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Goals: Lose weight. Am down 20 lbs, got around 40 lbs to go. As for weight training, I don't really do any. I almost always increase my weights within a week or two in body pump, and we use 5 lb hand weights in some of the classes, but I don't do any heavy lifting. I don't know how and I don't have anyone to go with. I know that it's an awesome thing, but I just don't see myself realistically doing it by myself.

Since you're interested, I highly recommend you buy and read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a very accessible book with tons of information for women on lifting weight and dieting (does a lot of myth busting too, which is great). I would start here no matter what you endup doing. The exercise routine at the end of the book is good too (though kinda "fluffy", but still good), or you could just go with a musch simpler lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5.

FYI, the best lifting programs out there for beginners are based on the 4 fundamental compound (multi-joint) movements: bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press. The most basic, and well establish programs I know of for these are Starting Srength (book with tons of detail) or Stronglifts 5x5 (free online routine, good videos to show form).