I'd love to NOT be hungry!!!

I see alot of posts of people saying they are not hungry & can't eat all of their calories... I wish I had that problem.

When I started watching what I'm eating, I adjusted what I was eating. Honestly, because of all the bad ingredients & things I was choosing for food, the actual amount I am eating now has increased.

I find myself excercising more, just to get more calories (so I can eat more).

Have I totally messed up my metabolism or what????

I have lost weight, so I am not complaining, just wondering why my appetite has increased so much.

Replies

• Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    I see alot of posts of people saying they are not hungry & can't eat all of their calories... I wish I had that problem.

When I started watching what I'm eating, I adjusted what I was eating. Honestly, because of all the bad ingredients & things I was choosing for food, the actual amount I am eating now has increased.

I have lost weight, so I am not complaining, just wondering why my appetite has increased so much.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Its not that wierd. Your body is hungry - you have to remember you're eating about 500 or so calories LESS than your base metabolic rate. You're depriving your body of just enough calories that it'll burn fat, but not enough that it will kick you into starvation mode.

I suggest you drink some green tea (it suppresses appetite) and make sure you carry a ton of water with you at all times :)
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 88 Member
    Also try to eat more protien and fiber. I eat oatmeal in the morning because i know that I will not be hungry for a while. I also carry around alot of amlonds in my purse so when Im hungry I start off with a half serving size and if Im still hungry I will eat the other servivng! Hope this helps:smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I'm right there with you. I'm usually a little hungry. I'm baffled by those that can't eat all their calories, and a little jealous.
  • seranmari
    seranmari Posts: 5 Member
    I just want to say, "Thank You" for bringing this up. I am so hungry! And I've read so many posts where people can't possibly eat more - but they have SO many calories left. Not my problem at all...

I am losing weight, I am eating healthier and I have yet to eat less than at least 200 calories MORE than I'm supposed to. I know oatmeal has been a suggested staple to keep you feeling full - but honestly, I think it's so gross. I tried, I've added cinnamon, blueberries and other fruits. It's still gross.

I eat 3 main meals a day with a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack. I exercise the suggested minimum of 30 min., 3 X a week - and my motivator, aside from losing weight, is that I will get to eat more if I exercise!

I really hope the people who just can't eat another bite, exercise like crazy. That I understand and can totally appreciate. I'm sure they deserve every bite they get. If exercise is the key to eating more, I would love to know if that's other people's opinion - or if there are any other suggestions I would love to read those too.
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    I am always hungry. I will eat a meal and be hungry 30 minutes later! I don't know how it is possible not to eat all of your calories! I don't know what full is anymore :)
  • I can completely empathize! Are you hungry for any particular thing? It might be your body’s way of telling you that you need more of something (e.g. – if you’re craving steak, you might need some more Iron in your diet). Try giving in to your hunger, but in a healthy way.

Also, try giving yourself a “Free Pass” on green veggies. If you're feeling completely famished, eat a HUGE (yeah, I mean huge) green salad. Celery is also great -- tons of fiber, which will help you to feel more full.

You can also try taking a fiber supplement like Citrucel before eating. Just make sure to take it with at LEAST a full glass of water (but the more water, the better).

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • sarah0426
    sarah0426 Posts: 26
    i exercise almost every day so that i can have more freedom with my calorie intake... some good, filling foods that I've found are the fiber one bars (chocolate, peanut butter or caramel, about 140-150 calories), campbells chunky potato and bacon soup (320 cals for 2 cups and really filling) and also quakers weight control maple and brown sugar oatmeal (160 cals)... that oatmeal is seriously the best i've ever had-- I've made it at work before and everyone asks "who's having pancakes?? what smells so good??" :)
  • I'm hungry sometimes too. I think that it's a mind thing instead of a body thing. btw oatmeal does not work on everyone. M-F I eat all bran buds and vanilla yogurt, but on the weekends I eat oatmeal w/ splenda brown sugar blend. It tastes good, but I'm starving about 1 1/2 hours later. I think each person's body is different and has different nutritional needs. I try to balance my protien intake. I also eat more protien than is "allowed" in my plan,.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399

I have the same problem, I don't own a scale and i don't weigh myself now but once a month. My clothes aren't tighter or looser, just the same. I am hungry all of the time and when I log my food i think it's a subconcious thing, b/c yesterday when I didn't log until the end of the day and wasn't hungry thruout the day(I just ate without calculating like most people do :laugh: ) and after dinner I logged everything from the day and I had like 400 calories leftover, then I was hungry, mind you I wasn't hungry until i actually logged the food:laugh:

Sometimes at night when I want a bowl of raisin bran(for some reason I want this only at night before i go to bed) and I don't have enough calories I contemplate if I should just go over a bit or if i should do 20 minutes of cardio :huh: Then I feel like a freak for obsessing so much about the # of calories and the obsession I have with calorie counting:laugh:

I'm hoping in time my body will level itself out.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    I just want to say to all of you... Thank you... I'm not alone.

mkeithley - I think you have a point - maybe it is an obsessive thing - I never thought about food as much as I have since I started logging it.
  • I agree with the obsessive thing! I didn't need to diet until I was on a diet and I became obsessed with not being able to eat that I started cheating and eating worse than I did before the diet because I never thought about food until I could not eat it. CRAZY! I wish I would have never came up with this crazy idea of watching what I eat. I weigh more than I ever have now!!!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    I just want to say to all of you... Thank you... I'm not alone.

mkeithley - I think you have a point - maybe it is an obsessive thing - I never thought about food as much as I have since I started logging it.
    AS they say in some 12 step programs, "One Day at a Time" Today my goal is to not worry about the # of calories, but to focus on eating clean. Now, mind you I have to say this to myself every day, sometimes tru out the day. It's seems so dumb to say it :smile: However, we are hardest on ourselves, I just remind myself, I am healthy I am fit and I eat healthy, so if I'm hungry I'm going to eat. One thing I tell my kids that I don't do myself is if they say they are hungry I tell them to go drink some H2O, if they are still hungry 20 minutes later I give them something to eat.
    Now who knows ifI'll remember this tomorrow:laugh:
    Just live for today :happy:
  • I know where you are coming from and I found out I had two problems

1. not eating often enough (I know, I thought is was ridiculous too). If you just start to feel the pangs of hunger - eat! Just make it easy as you possibly can to make a good choice. Don't let it get to the point where you are so hungry you make a bad choice. I get "hangry" (that's angry because I'm hungry - chronic problem in my family) . Once I'm hangry.... out comes the peanut butter and that's not good.

2. I was not eating enough protein andProtein makes you feel full. Even now I find it a challenge to ensure I get enough protein while keeping under my calorie limit, particularly because I have tree nut allergies.