My exercise road-blocker...

Options
I have been gone from this website for about a month! :( I feel so unmotivated. Anyways here's what happened, I woke up about a month ago with extreme pain in my right knee and lower right back, long story short, I've been in extreme pain since that day. I've gone to the doctor about 3 times and they think it's a pinched nerve in my lower back bringing pain down my hamstring to my knee. They're not sure if it's being pinched by a spinal disk or what. MY question is, what are some low impact exercises/activities I could do with minimal bending of the legs but that also gets your heart rate up? I'm feeling a little better now that I'm icing/heating my back but it's still painful and stiff to bend my knee. I really want to get back on the road to weightloss but I've lost all motivation to do so while not being able to be as active as I normally am. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    One thing you can try "Walk at Home" .....these are low impact aerobics without choreography. Because there is no choreography you can sub in moves that are more comfortable for ones that aren't. You can also go slowly at first... to test things out. You can add intensity as you learn to adapt the moves.

There's a 15 minute video on this page: http://www.walkathome.com/

.......see the "Try It!" button
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are some seated exerciser videos on youtube...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9khisFPA

Maybe you can adapt one of these.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor setting you up with a Physical Therapist? If they are, then I would take this question to them as they will be better knowledged to answer this question to avoid causing more damage and/or suggest exercises to help fix the problem.
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have another appointment on Wednesday, She didn't give me any movement restrictions so I don't think I could damage it more, she just said to move to what is tolerable. I just wanted to get a headstart on some kind of easy exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    Ask for a referral to a physical therapist. They can suggest rehab exercise.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a physio. They can help you with exercises not just that you can do, but that can actually HELP your issues too!
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    Other than a physical therapist, a chiropractor might be a good idea... my boyfriend had symptoms like you're describing to the point he couldn't walk and the chiro helped a ton. As for exercise, its a good idea with back pain to have a doctor clear you first and a physical therapist can recommend corrective exercises that will help you stay active as well as help with the pain