NET CALORIES???HELP ME!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hmm.....well I wouldnt be lying about my activity. Im very active.

WTF? Who said anything about you lying about your activity? It's the calorie burn you are assigning to it that's the problem.

Anyway, I tried. Believe what you want to believe...
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • One_Fur_luck
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring all of your food?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    On this site, your net calories should equal your calorie goal. That's why MFP increases your allowance when you add calories burned through exercise. The point is not to create as large a deficit as possible, but to achieve a deficit appropriate to your weight loss goals. So yes, eating more (or exercising less) would be a good idea.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My humble opinion is that you are eating too many carbs (and sugar), and not enough protein and fat. Most likely no issues at all with the calories. The strategy I use is aligned with the LCHF diet. For example, you say you eat carrots and grapes every day...there's lots of sugar in them, as an alternative, I eat avocado, celery, berries, cucumber, broccoli, fennel, bell pepper, tomato, or zucchini instead (lower sugar). Again, this is a strategy that works for ME. I wish you luck with finding what works for YOU. Good luck.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    First off, losing inches is great progress! Better than actual weight coming off for a while, it indicates fat is being absorbed and muscle is being built, meaning you can burn more later. The general other posters consensus is probably right too though: since you aren't losing, you are probably both eating more than you think and burning less than you think. No you aren't lying, machines and formulas overestimate. But, even now you seem to be in a great place so far losing inches (muscle gain, fat loss). You need to open your diary to say much more though, and height.

The original question: yes you eat back most of your calories for this site's calculation, but before you do that, get a food scale and count calories more carefully and only eat back say 50-75% of your calories for a week and see what happens. The reason is, so far your errors of eating more than you think and a lower calorie burn than you think are probably essentially cancelling each other out, and if you suddenly changed to accurate calorie intake (eating less), that NET calorie intake you mentioned is way too low for you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This is my bet.

I'm also extremely skeptical of burning 1000 calories per day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

This is my bet.

you knw what I noticed the other day? the treadmill has this thing where you can add your weight in and it tells you how many calories you burned and it' s more if you're heavier...could that explain it?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This is my bet.

you knw what I noticed the other day? the treadmill has this thing where you can add your weight in and it tells you how many calories you burned and it' s more if you're heavier...could that explain it?

To some extent.

If the OP was losing weight too quickly I'd say that she needs to eat more. But since she's not losing weight over a 2 month period it's more likely that she's both overestimating her burns and underestimating how many calories she's taking in, especially since she said she doesn't always measure.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

This is my bet.

To some extent.

If the OP was losing weight too quickly I'd say that she needs to eat more. But since she's not losing weight over a 2 month period it's more likely that she's both overestimating her burns and underestimating how many calories she's taking in, especially since she said she doesn't always measure.

Just for the sake of discussion...

She's 29 years old, 237 lbs, not sure how tall but let's say 5'5". Using an exercise level of 6 days a week on IIFYM.com TDEE calculator, her TDEE is around 3000.

She's eating 1500, which is a large deficit, and hasn't lost in 2 months. It seems to me more likley she has reached a plateau and that by increasing cals to 2000 she could 1. Break out of it and 2. Achieve a better lean mass to fat ratio in her weight loss.

Of course misestimation is always a possibility but in this case the estimation of her calorie burns isn't a factor because she hasn't been eating anything back. It just seems unlikely to me that she is underestimating her calorie intake by 1500 calories a day.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

This is my bet.

To some extent.

Just for the sake of discussion...

She's 29 years old, 237 lbs, not sure how tall but let's say 5'5". Using an exercise level of 6 days a week on IIFYM.com TDEE calculator, her TDEE is around 3000.

She's eating 1500, which is a large deficit, and hasn't lost in 2 months. It seems to me more likley she has reached a plateau and that by increasing cals to 2000 she could 1. Break out of it and 2. Achieve a better lean mass to fat ratio in her weight loss.

Of course misestimation is always a possibility but in this case the estimation of her calorie burns isn't a factor because she hasn't been eating anything back. It just seems unlikely to me that she is underestimating her calorie intake by 1500 calories a day.

Bwahahaha. "Plateau". "Eat more calories to break out of it". :laugh:

Wait...you were serious? :huh:
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    okay yes, a 6'4 265-lb young male could burn 1000 calories in a workout. But it takes a lot for a woman who isn't severely obese to burn 1000 cals in a workout. Rule of thumb is running one mile = 100 calories burned for women. So that would be 10 miles of running. The ellipticals -- depends on resistance level, but even at one of the higher settings, it would take probably 90 minutes to burn 1000 calories for a woman of average size. And to do that EVERY day? Not likely.

I burn over 400 running a 5k every single time I run it. I'm a female, 5'7", 171 lbs (not severely obese, 12 lbs overweight.)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Or I will do an hour or 1.5 hrs of stairs at the gym-high resistance .

I do 20 min .. and I am drained. And I am considerably lighter than you are. I somehow doubt that you can do this on a regular basis ?

This would be like climbing 333 stories. If you can actually do this .. you are way more fit than me.
    I did it everyday for 5 months. I worked out 2wice a day as well 90% of time. Go ahead and doubt. :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    okay yes, a 6'4 265-lb young male could burn 1000 calories in a workout. But it takes a lot for a woman who isn't severely obese to burn 1000 cals in a workout. Rule of thumb is running one mile = 100 calories burned for women. So that would be 10 miles of running. The ellipticals -- depends on resistance level, but even at one of the higher settings, it would take probably 90 minutes to burn 1000 calories for a woman of average size. And to do that EVERY day? Not likely.

I burn over 400 running a 5k every single time I run it. I'm a female, 5'7", 171 lbs (not severely obese, 12 lbs overweight.)
    Amen! Thanks for responding to this. You are a fit 171 lb female and you burn over 400..can you imagine a 237 person doing an hour to an hour and a half of high intensity workout? I think it would be easy right to get 1000 cals.
    Some people are just rude huh? Thanks for backing me up though!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    To those of you who took the time to give me positive criticism I totally appreciate it.

I asked out of curiosity if I could learn something new that would help me. Also to those that "doubt" I workout a lot, I do. I am a person that will fully commit to whatever I do..whatever that means. I am definitely not all "fat". I have strength, I can drop a person twice my size in a few seconds. I say this to add to the fact that yes, even though im 237 Im not all fat. I do have muscle.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

No, you don't. Net burn for you is a little over 300 calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    If the OP came here saying she needed to gain weight, the universal advice would be "eat more!" And here you are suggesting she eat more to lose weight.

The same advice cannot be correct for both gaining weight and losing weight.
    It just seems unlikely to me that she is underestimating her calorie intake by 1500 calories a day.
    Study after study after study has shown that not only is it possible, it is quite common.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I guess Im not eating enough compared to the activity I do.
    How on earth did you come to that conclusion from what was posted?

The correct conclusion is that you aren't as active as you think you are, and you eat more than you think you do - so move more, eat less.
    Hmm.....well I wouldnt be lying about my activity. Im very active. I work 15 hours a day Half of that is standing and walking non stop, I work out at 5 am, then again after work. I dont have the energy or time to cook but simple fast items. So yeah I am active.....but thanks for your help........I guess...lol

I burn 1000 calories or more a day too. I have a bodymedia armband that tells me what I burn, and even allowing for the possible inaccuracy of the readings (its usually only off by about 3%, but in some people it can be off by around 10%) I am still burning 900-1000 most days. People constantly doubt that I could be... but I know how hard I work out, and for how long... 90 minutes minimum. Plus all my usual daily activity.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Amen! Thanks for responding to this. You are a fit 171 lb female and you burn over 400..can you imagine a 237 person doing an hour to an hour and a half of high intensity workout? I think it would be easy right to get 1000 cals.
    You clearly do not understand how the body burns calories. How "hard" it feels to you has little relation to how much energy is actually burned. Bottom line: if you cannot run your 237 pounds a solid 8 miles at a go, multiple times a week, you are not burning what you believe you are burning in your "high intensity workout".

Anyway, you are clearly hell bent on believing what you want to believe, so I'll leave you to it.

Cheers, and good luck.