Personal trainer: worth it or not?

Options
Had a consultation today with a personal trainer, and now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money. Can I afford it? Yeah, if I don't mind not having a date night with my partner and cutting down on a few other really small things that I don't HAVE to have. It'd be stretching the dollar to the point it can't go much further, but it is doable.

I've had some success on my own and still feeling confident in what I'm doing. Motivation's not an issue, I workout 4-5 days a week with no one pushing me but myself. I'm only considering using the physical trainer to really give myself an edge and learn a few new things. He offers month-to-month training, so I wouldn't have to worry about a contract.

I kinda want to do this, but just don't know if the cost is worth it or not. So, long story short, those of you that have used personal trainers, were they worth it to you? Was it something you absolutely had to have, or could you have done it on your own. Those of you that did it on your own without one, do you feel you would've done better with a personal trainer? Those of you that ARE personal trainers, what sort of edge do you think you give to your clients?

Thanks!

Replies

• Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer (ACSM certified) and think it really depends on the trainer when it comes to whether or not it will be worth it. If the trainer is good, it's worth the money but if they aren't then it won't be. Of course, you're commitment is important as well, but it sounds like you're doing great with that.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Had a consultation today with a personal trainer, and now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money. Can I afford it? Yeah, if I don't mind not having a date night with my partner and cutting down on a few other really small things that I don't HAVE to have. It'd be stretching the dollar to the point it can't go much further, but it is doable.

I've had some success on my own and still feeling confident in what I'm doing. Motivation's not an issue, I workout 4-5 days a week with no one pushing me but myself. I'm only considering using the physical trainer to really give myself an edge and learn a few new things. He offers month-to-month training, so I wouldn't have to worry about a contract.

I kinda want to do this, but just don't know if the cost is worth it or not. So, long story short, those of you that have used personal trainers, were they worth it to you? Was it something you absolutely had to have, or could you have done it on your own. Those of you that did it on your own without one, do you feel you would've done better with a personal trainer? Those of you that ARE personal trainers, what sort of edge do you think you give to your clients?

Thanks!

I used a trainer ( actually two of them) for 6 months, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. My "boys" have been my biggest cheerleaders, and pushed me to do things that I never thought I would be capable of doing! There is no doubt in my mind that without their help, I would not be where I am now. I definitely would not be planning to get trained as a PT myself!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer (ACSM certified) and think it really depends on the trainer when it comes to whether or not it will be worth it. If the trainer is good, it's worth the money but if they aren't then it won't be. Of course, you're commitment is important as well, but it sounds like you're doing great with that.

Agreed. Also, ask yourself why you need a trainer, and what your goals are.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are three reasons hiring a personal trainer could really benefit you:
    - You don't know the best workout to meet your goals and need advise on proper workout form. Form is very important to get the most out of an exercise (and avoid injury).
    - You are better motivated when someone is present (accountability).
    - You've hit a plateau and you need someone to help you mix it up.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends on the trainer. My trainer = completely worth it. 1. I had no clue what to do in the gym, 2. He kicks my *kitten* - something I am not motivated to do myself. I work a million times harder with him than when I'm in the gym on my own. 3. I'm forced to go to the gym even when I don't want to because I have that appointment to keep. 3. He's always teaching me new things. 4. He keeps me accountable. Not only in the gym but I dang well better start eating better too or I have him to deal with. 5. He can give me homework to do when I'm not with him too.

I have tried another trainer at my gym and she was completely not worth it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've used trainers before, some good and some bad. This is my experience only but I've found quality trainers aren't at the big box gyms like a 24. Those seem to be more cookie cutter to me as far as what they put their clients through. And cost wise too, I find that you are able to work out better deals, etc., with independent trainers. Again, that is what I've noticed where I'm located now. I think the no contract is a big bonus. And I think it depends on your own personal knowledge. I've reached goals by pulling workouts from magazines and bodybuilding.com. But I go to a private gym now with small group training classes, sometimes just two of us, and I love the push I get when someone else is directing my workout!
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Depends on the trainer. My trainer = completely worth it. 1. I had no clue what to do in the gym, 2. He kicks my *kitten* - something I am not motivated to do myself. I work a million times harder with him than when I'm in the gym on my own. 3. I'm forced to go to the gym even when I don't want to because I have that appointment to keep. 3. He's always teaching me new things. 4. He keeps me accountable. Not only in the gym but I dang well better start eating better too or I have him to deal with. 5. He can give me homework to do when I'm not with him too.

I have tried another trainer at my gym and she was completely not worth it.

This is how I feel about my "boys", Justin and Brian. I hit the trainer lotto with them. They get in my head, and know exactly what to do and say to make me want to push harder. I have told both of them how much I hate them, and what sadistic slavedrivers they are...but they know I love it ( since I always come back for more) Brian was just giving me crap about my diet yesterday!
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As it seems most people are saying, it really depends on the trainer. I have been working with a trainer for the last month. My trainer is awesome and keeps me challenged and pushing me to the max. He for sure makes the money worth it. I have tried so many new routines and exercises in the last month than I had in the 6 months prior to working with a trainer. I have to sacrifice some at home in regards to money, but it is well worth it to me.

Most trainers will help you out with a lot more than just that hour workout too. My trainer also is on top of my eating, gives me great routines that I can do in a hotel room or hotel gym when I have to travel, and a lot more. It was a great choice for me, but I would say the biggest thing is to make sure you will mesh with the trainer, and that you know what your goals are and that your trainer is willing to create a plan to help you achieve those goals.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

Most trainers will help you out with a lot more than just that hour workout too. My trainer also is on top of my eating, gives me great routines that I can do in a hotel room or hotel gym when I have to travel, and a lot more. It was a great choice for me, but I would say the biggest thing is to make sure you will mesh with the trainer, and that you know what your goals are and that your trainer is willing to create a plan to help you achieve those goals.

THIS^^^ I actually watched the way Justin interacted with his female clients for 6 months before I signed up for a session with him. I liked that session so much that I signed up for 6 more...then 6 more...then 6 more. When he moved, I asked him to suggest a replacement. Brian got 2 sessions to convince me that he was the best choice for me, and he did!

I haven't worked with Brian for 4 months, but he still gives me crap about my diet...and challenges me to push myself...or to add new exercises to my routine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    As a trainer, I've gotten so many "thank you" gifts (the best being a HERO 2 Camera) for helping my clients achieve their goals. I will say that it does depend from trainer to trainer though. Being in fitness for 30 years has helped me to pass on great knowledge and put together great programs for those that hired me to get them to their goal.
    As a trainer, my goal is to get rid of my clients after signing up with me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Depends on the trainer.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Interview the personal trainer to find out if this person can help you with your goals. If you want to learn specific new things, then question his or her knowledge on these matters. If they appear sketchy, find someone more knowledgable.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I had 6 personal trainers in the past .. and some were good and some were bad. Just like any other profession.

Just depends on how comfortable you are at doing things yourself.

In my mind .. it all comes down to money.

Are they a benefit .. totally yes as you will probably get to your goals faster. But you have to determine if it is worth spending the money. If money is possibly an issue .. save your money and do it yourself.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    For me, I can't afford the training offered at my gym and they don't offer short term training to try it out. I would do short term training in a heart beat. I won't sign up for $1000 dollars of training without being able to try out how the trainer works with me. Also, I don't want someone hanging over me while I lift weights. But, I would love some short term help with form, while lifting heavy. I wouldn't hire a trainer unless they would be willing to do heavy compound lifts with me, but also wouldn't hire them if they were not knowledgeable about my structural issues and past injuries. I've interviewed trainers. Some trainers say they push their clients until they throw up and pass out (that would be a no for me). Other trainers assume I don't want to lift heavy just because I am small framed. Other trainers are really fun and knowledgeable (but stopped working at my gym).
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    As a trainer, I've gotten so many "thank you" gifts (the best being a HERO 2 Camera) for helping my clients achieve their goals. I will say that it does depend from trainer to trainer though. Being in fitness for 30 years has helped me to pass on great knowledge and put together great programs for those that hired me to get them to their goal.
    As a trainer, my goal is to get rid of my clients after signing up with me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

when Justin left me ( he moved out of state), I sent him a hand crocheted blanket I made that I knew he liked. If I had sold it, it would have been over $100

His replacement, Brian, is getting 2 custom made, crochet baby blankets. His first baby is due at the end of March...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I just adore mine, so nice, motivating, and our styles mesh well together, and my husband's is great too; he helps my husband make such awesome progress. What if you didn't work with your trainer very often, and just had him or her set up a workout program for you to do on your own, then you meet periodically for form checks, to learn new lifts, stuff like that? You don't have to meet with them every day or week.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the input! I need to talk to my partner regarding the finances, because it'll mean we'll have to cut out a few date nights, and that might be a deal breaker right there :laugh:

We'll see what happens!
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer a few years back and I learned so much from him that I still incorporate into my routine now. I was on a month to month contract and he turned me loose when he felt I could do it on my own.

Just make sure you get someone you're comfortable with, but otherwise I would go for it!! :flowerforyou: