when to exercise?

danu2425
danu2425 Posts: 4
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
What's the best time to exercise?

Morning, night? Does it matter?

Replies

• My dad always tells me it's better to exercise in the morning before you eat. 20 minutes is all you need, then eat something for breakfast to reward your body. It makes since to me since you sleep all night and aren't really doing much to burn too many calories. If anything, it helps you wake up!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    I exercise at night because I'm NOT a morning person. LOL. I guess you need to find what works for you. As long as you are burning the calories, it shouldn't matter. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • CMAB
    CMAB Posts: 21
    I don't think it really matters. I've been working out at night for about a year now, and it seems to be the only time that I've been able to stick to. I've tried waking up early for it, but the snooze button always wins :) As long as you're working out and it fits in your schedule, you should be fine exercising whenever.
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    I read a study where it is said to exercise in the evening because your body is warmed up! I workout in the evening because of work. I feel better and sleep better and I feel better the next day.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    It does not matter as long as you get the job done. I do an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Really depends on the person. God Bless, brenda
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I'm in the military and we have mandatory PT in the mornings 3 days a week (I don't eat beforehand because I don't like like having anything in my stomach, but I do eat afterwards). But on my own time, I prefer afternoons when I get home from work and before eating dinner because I'm fully awake, have fuel from previous meals for energy, and can use my afternoon workout as an excuse to get out any frustrations from my day :devil: But as others have said, it doesn't really matter when you workout as long as you get the most out of your workout when you do it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Studies show that exercising in the afternoons is best. You burn more calories and it is early enough that it's not affecting your sleep schedule, which is very important.

However those same studies admit that people who exercise in the mornings are 90% more likely to stick to the habit. I know personally that I like exercising in the mornings because I haven't given myself an entire day to come up with an excuse to not do it.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    After exercise your metabolism is a bit higher for some where around an hour or so. It can be more depending on what type your doing. Because of this most people say morning is better so you can maximize the increase.

For me personally I do about 75 minutes a day, and have to be at work at 6:30 in the morning. No way in heck am I getting up at 3:45 AM so I can exercise, shower, dress, and drive to work. So night it is.

Night time exercise can have the added bonus of keeping you up, but it's not too bad.
This discussion has been closed.