Bariatric surgery... to do or not to do?

Options
I decided to have a gastric sleeve surgery. I have a 49.6 BMI!!!

Now my wife and my daughter are ganging up on me telling me not to do it!!!

I decided I'll give this three months to see if I can do it on my own. This is the most serious attempt I have done to lose weight in a few years.

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Great decision. I had thought about it, went to a few seminars and talked to relatives who had it. I work in the health field coding medical records, saw enough to convince myself to do it my way, found MFP and the rest is history. If you are serious and take the time to weigh & measure what you eat, you can do it.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You won't find very many people on MFP that are fans of surgery. The main point is that it is just a tool, not a solution, and even though people like to say they understand that and will change their habits permanently this often doesn't end up being the case. Surgery actually tends to require a lot more responsibility than just changing your diet because you also have to make sure you are getting enough of all the nutrients with limited capacity. From the people that I've seen get it done and from the stories on MFP it generally ends up being a lot of aggravation and pain for a short period of results followed by slowly regaining. It's good that you are going to try the old-fashioned way first. Hopefully you'll realize you can do it on your own without putting yourself through an ordeal with surgery.
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would do it again in a heart beat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not "supportive" but I'm also not trying to be "mean". There are no shortcuts. Everyone can lose weight, but for many of us, the FOOD matters. No amount of willpower can overcome malnutrition. Yes, morbidly obese people are often malnourished. So, when I changed WHAT I eat, all of my health problems vanished and weight loss has been effortless (not always FAST). No lie.

The surgery comes with all kinds of risks, including life long digestive issues, possiblity of chronic malnourishment, and even DEATH. There's a lot going on with metabolic disorder, none of which have anything to do with a stomach that is too big.
  • tobybraxton
    tobybraxton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You have to be 100% committed. Weight-loss surgery is only a tool and you can and will gain the weight back if you don't follow the diet and exercise plan. This isn't something you can halfass
  • bahuber5477
    bahuber5477 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band in April and it has been the best thing I have ever did. Yes it requires a great deal of a lifestyle change and it is a lifetime commitment. I am 8 months in and I am down 88 lbs. I have about 80 more to go and I know I can do it. I have tried many diets and have not been successful. With my band I can control my hunger and stay within my calorie goal. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have a great support system and that helps to! Good luck to you in your journey. It truly is a lifetime thing and a daily battle. I now workout 4-6 days a week depending on my work schedule, swim, walk my dog and my new years resolution is to run a 5k. I will do it!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    DON"T do it. Google Jim Obley's story...or Crystal Phillips story or Dr. Nick's story
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options

I decided I'll give this three months to see if I can do it on my own. This is the most serious attempt I have done to lose weight in a few years.

Not a good idea. You can lose weight all by yourself. There are MANY examples of people here that have done it. MFP gives you great tools to help you along the way.

Good luck.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I had a 61% bmi and now a year later 34%, this was done without surgery. Have you tried to reach your goals without getting the procedure done? and by try I mean really 100% commit and try.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of opposing viewpoints on this topic. I had lap-band surgery 18 months ago and have no regrets, but others have had bad experiences. Keep in mind that surgery is not an easy fix -- you still have to do all the same work that everyone else does, but with surgery you get a little extra help. No surgeon is going to let you go through with it without psychological screening, several months of working with a nutritionist and proof (to yourself and to the doctors) that you can stick to a healthy eating and exercise plan. I suggest you do a search of the message boards and read all the stuff that's been discussed about weight loss surgery. Good luck!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I decided to have a gastric sleeve surgery. I have a 49.6 BMI!!! Now my wife and my daughter are ganging up on me telling me not to do it!!! I decided I'll give this three months to see if I can do it on my own. This is the most serious attempt I have done to lose weight in a few years.

First thing I suggest you do before you have this surgery is have a long talk with your doctor (without your wife and daughter). Ask him or her exactly what is involved in this procedure.

If you want to lose the weight on your own, this is a good place to be.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't see what doing Bariatric surgery will do for you. the folks I know who have had it done still had to change their eating habits in order to avoid gaining all the weight back so why not just CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS in the first place and avoid the cost and risk of surgery.

Start with the Keto Calculator to set your MFP targets. get your net carbs down to 75 net grams of carbs (or lower). while taking your caloric count down it's really important to take your carbohydrate count down. increase the relative intake of fats and proteins, particularly fats, most overweight people tend to not eat enough fat. so you avoid sugar, fruit, grains, flour, potatoes, rice, corn and you eat vegetables, eggs, meats and cheeses.

then the weight starts coming off (i.e. the fat weight). as soon as your weight is low enough to be safe exercising start some exercise. while your still this heavy do nothing more strenuous than walking laps in the pool.

that's it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not "supportive" but I'm also not trying to be "mean". There are no shortcuts. Everyone can lose weight, but for many of us, the FOOD matters. No amount of willpower can overcome malnutrition. Yes, morbidly obese people are often malnourished. So, when I changed WHAT I eat, all of my health problems vanished and weight loss has been effortless (not always FAST). No lie.

The surgery comes with all kinds of risks, including life long digestive issues, possiblity of chronic malnourishment, and even DEATH. There's a lot going on with metabolic disorder, none of which have anything to do with a stomach that is too big.

Totally agree with this. A friend of mine had the surgery three years ago and all was swell at first--she lost 136 pounds and was thrilled. BUT, now she is starting to have a lot of digestive issues. Has a fair number of days when she doesn't get out of bed. Who wants to sign on for that?

My experience has been the same as that of Akimajuktuq and Binkie. Keeping the carbohydrates down harnesses the metabolism to work FOR you rather than against you. Sugar is the real culprit that is causing so much malnutrition. Our thin ancestors ate more fat and about the same amount of protein as we do BUT they ate very little sugar (if any at all) and thus a lot less carbohydrate. The average person in 1900 ate 5 pounds of sugar per year. Now it is estimated that the average person eats 150 pounds of sugar per year (half of which is buried in the massive amount of processed food that "first world" people eat). Eat fewer carbs (and no sugar) and move a little more. You won't need any mutilating surgery.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    The reason I've lost 110lbs without surgery is because I watched what my mother had to go through after having hers. She's 4 years post op, still struggling to keep food down, still struggling with all the same food issues that she had before the surgery. She throws up all the time. Her hair falls out because she can't keep down any protein, and the shakes fill her up too much to finish them. She says surgery's the best thing she's ever done, after living with her I wasn't convinced. Yes, she lost 130ish lbs but is still 20kg/44lbs from her goal weight.

On the other hand, I've lost my weight through sensible eating and exercise. I eat everything in moderation, including plenty of carbs. I started with a BMI of 51.6, it's currently 34.3. I also started out at a higher weight than my mother was when she had surgery. I still want to lose another 25kg/55lbs. Sure, I didn't get results quite as fast as I would have with surgery - I've lost 75lbs since the start of January this year, after losing some and then taking a break (and regaining a bit that I had to lose again). But I feel fantastic, and I've learned to deal with my food issues along the way. And I'm so much healthier.

Good on you for making the decision to try losing weight yourself first. As others have said, surgery can be a useful tool but it certainly isn't a miracle cure. And it can be done without surgery!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you wish to put your money towards something, get a dietitian or nutritionist to help you out and keep you accountable. They will show you how to read food labels and what to watch out for and so forth, that is were my journey started and I am glad I went to one for a month to just figure out what I needed to start this journey all on my own :) and my ticker shows the proof.

I was told by everyone around me ( minus my husband and his family) that I would need surgery to stick to my lifestyle change and to lose weight and I have nothing done to me and I am happier I am doing it this way!! Teaches me responsibility :)
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There is a couple that I graduated from high school with. Her and I were born on the same day, at the same hospital, at the same time. We also went to school together from kindergarten through college. I did not meet him until we were about 10. He had the sleeve in August, we buried him in September, and his first grandchild was born on Thanksgiving. His wife is having a hard time with this, who can blame her. Not a story I heard about, or read about.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    The reason I've lost 110lbs without surgery is because I watched what my mother had to go through after having hers. She's 4 years post op, still struggling to keep food down, still struggling with all the same food issues that she had before the surgery. She throws up all the time. Her hair falls out because she can't keep down any protein, and the shakes fill her up too much to finish them. She says surgery's the best thing she's ever done, after living with her I wasn't convinced. Yes, she lost 130ish lbs but is still 20kg/44lbs from her goal weight.

On the other hand, I've lost my weight through sensible eating and exercise. I eat everything in moderation, including plenty of carbs. I started with a BMI of 51.6, it's currently 34.3. I also started out at a higher weight than my mother was when she had surgery. I still want to lose another 25kg/55lbs. Sure, I didn't get results quite as fast as I would have with surgery - I've lost 75lbs since the start of January this year, after losing some and then taking a break (and regaining a bit that I had to lose again). But I feel fantastic, and I've learned to deal with my food issues along the way. And I'm so much healthier.

Good on you for making the decision to try losing weight yourself first. As others have said, surgery can be a useful tool but it certainly isn't a miracle cure. And it can be done without surgery!

While I agree that weight loss surgery is unnecessary and may be a real health risk, I speak from experience when I say that going lower carb (not very low carb, mind you) is the only way to avoid regain. I was a yo-yo dieter for years--I was always either on some kind of calorie-restricted diet (and some of them were downright dangerous and made me sick) or I was eating "normally" and gaining. Even though I was still counting calories and was supposedly on "maintenance", the weight gain seemed almost inevitable when I was eating a higher proportion of carbs (especially sugar). I have been on my present lower carb regime for a bit over 3 years and in all that time, I have taken breaks from losing but I have not gained one ounce. Now, when I want to take a break from losing, I simply let my "slow" carbs (that is, carbs that contain a lot of fiber as in vegetables and fruits) drift up toward 150 grams per day. I know that if I stay below that 150 gram threshold that I will not gain --and that I can eat whatever I want (in moderation, of course--I don't stuff myself). The impetus to eat more than you need comes from sugar in the diet. When you merely count calories, it is difficult to determine the line between what will cause a loss or gain--there is a VERY small margin of error. Average just 100 calories more than you burn per day, and it will put 70 pounds on you in ten years (or you will gain even faster). But you must eat nourishing food because it helps to avoid cravings (as your body has a built-in drive toward nutrients that it needs to perform). No doubt there is a lot of tempting high carb "food" out there--especially at the holidays. But if anyone really wants to get the monkey off their backs they will avoid it and enjoy much better health. It took me a long time to learn to nourish my body properly but now that I have discovered what works long term, I would NEVER go back to eating high carb. The pleasure of eating empty carbs is just not worth the pain.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    There is a couple that I graduated from high school with. Her and I were born on the same day, at the same hospital, at the same time. We also went to school together from kindergarten through college. I did not meet him until we were about 10. He had the sleeve in August, we buried him in September, and his first grandchild was born on Thanksgiving. His wife is having a hard time with this, who can blame her. Not a story I heard about, or read about.

Yes, there are a LOT of sad stories from the weight-loss surgery annals.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

My only comment is that this seems a hell of a drastic solution when you yourself say that you have not made a serious attempt to lose weight in years. I have not had weight loss surgery but I have had joint surgery for a shoulder that in restrospect should have been managed without a knife... surgery definitely has its consequences and although none of us ever think we'll be that 2% who have problems it is a hell of a road to find yourself on if you are the unlucky percentage. For weight loss surgery the risks are even greater.