Is there a such thing as big boned?

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Big boned refers to people with an Endomorph body type.

Having wider shoulders and larger legs, wide everything really.

Gains weight easily and develops muscle quickly.

Athletes classed as endomorph (big boned) would be

Front row rugby players, field athletes or strongman/woman.

People make the common mistake that training and diet is a one size fits all plan

but it's not as genetics play a massive role in your shape.

Bone size and density depends on genetics.

Simply put you can have naturally bigger bones in the same way as someone can

be naturally more muscular than others.
    people still believe in somatypes? i thought that went out with the belief that eating fat is what causes people to be fat.

by the way i was an all east prop, was very close to being selected to the women's national rugby team (had to drop out because of an injury). i'm "small boned" in that i have a small ribcage, small wrists and ankles but i would also cause the scrum to wheel since I was WAY stronger than the other prop who was much bigger than me weight wise and "bone" wise

strength has nothing to do with size.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

People make the common mistake that training and diet is a one size fits all plan

people still believe in somatypes? i thought that went out with the belief that eating fat is what causes people to be fat.

by the way i was an all east prop, was very close to being selected to the women's national rugby team (had to drop out because of an injury). i'm "small boned" in that i have a small ribcage, small wrists and ankles but i would also cause the scrum to wheel since I was WAY stronger than the other prop who was much bigger than me weight wise and "bone" wise

I was also a prop at 5'9" and 160lbs. We had some really tall ladies on the team so I got pushed to front row because I was too slow to flank or 9.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Sure there are probably different frame sizes, but I know I used "big boned" as an excuse for too long. I had always heard that one doesn't lose a lot of weight from wrists, so it's a good location to use to judge being big or small boned. Well, mine were big, so I figured I was big boned. I always figured I couldn't become as small as the lucky small-frame girls. Well, that's just not true. I lost 50 pounds, and my wrists shrunk a ton. I'm down another 40 now and just bought my first extra small clothes this week.
  • 50_to_lose
    50_to_lose Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I'm not really sure why you started your post with sarcasm.
    I did not state in my post about size and strength being related as you can be strong without being big, male ballet dancers are very strong but you won't see them lifting atlas stones for fun, so I suppose size does come into it.
    The post I made was a general interpretation of being big boned and yes people still believe in somatypes, why would they not?
    Gauging someone's body type is the quickest way to assemble an exercise program to suit their individual needs.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Big boned is a wider or broader (shoulder span and hips )person, I consider my self big boned, because I am broad where as some of my friends are not as wide and they are more petite smaller frame. If I weighed 120 I would look like a crackhead lol not to make jokes literally its to thin for my structure. I look good at 135-140-145

Like sopmeone else said, no one could guess my weight as I didnt look fat but just well stacked and thicker / wider / broader/ and I bulk up nicely
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I'm small boned and need to watch out for osteoporosis due to thin bones. I've also always been a healthy weight. I use MFP to maintain or to stay on track when I travel.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Also, I must have a giant rib cage because despite the small bones I'm a 38 band size with a C cup.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be small boned and large framed? Because I seriously think this could be the case with me.

My wrists, ankles, hands, and feet are all very small (I'd call 'em delicate even!) and were that way even when I was way heavier. I wore a smaller bracelet, watch, anklet, than my average sized friends even at 300 lb! And a 6 ring is the largest I've even worn (currently 4.5). But I am somewhat tall at 5'8" and even with weight loss my shoulders and hips are much wider than average and even though I seriously have little to no "back fat" left my back is quite broad.

My dad is the same way. He was 6'4" when he was younger and a BIG man, and he is still big although he has lost weight for health and is no longer overweight or obese. Even though he has large hands/feet his wrists, ankles, neck, are rather small.

This is very confusing! hehe
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I had to lose weight in order to realize I wasn't "big boned" at all. Now that I'm at a healthy weight, I realize I am a medium frame. At between 5'4 and 5'5, it makes sense.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    The last time I proved this one.....I got in A LOT of trouble from MFP.....smh...
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes, people have different frame/body sizes etc. I have a large ribcage or 'pigeon chest' as some people describe it! Makes me look bigger than I am so its annoying, but not much I can do about it!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    myth-i-am-just-big-boned.jpg

Wow that visual really shows me how important it is to reduce the stress put on joints from too much weight. .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Frame size and bone length differ from person to person, but from a percentage stand point (meaning diameter of the bones) they are about equal from person to person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes it is real. Some people have bigger bones than others, in this sense wider bones. It can make them have a more wider build naturally. However, this isn't to say it is an excuse to be overweight, if a person is big boned they don't necessarily have to be obese or anything. Look at Rebecca Adlington, she is big boned but since she is a swimmer has an athletic body at the same time.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Btw peeps, you may not be allowed to have an opinion on this because of all the know it alls on here who will try to prove you wrong and quote you. It's happened to me before. Have your opinion and don't reply to them they aren't worth the time of day.

I personally have wide, broad shoulders for a girl. I hate them. In my shoulder area I would classify myself as big boned but the rest of me isn't.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    I don't believe in the 'big-boned' theory. I think some folks have greater bone density which is not the same a 'bigger bones.'
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The last time I proved this one.....I got in A LOT of trouble from MFP.....smh...

LOL
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Many of the above responses make great sense but I'd like to add; have you ever seen a "fat" skeleton?

:noway:
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Many of the above responses make great sense but I'd like to add; have you ever seen a "fat" skeleton?

:noway:

Hahaha! :laugh:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Well, according to that chart I'm "big-boned". I do have a larger frame in many ways--my rib cage is large, I have broad shoulders, a fairly large head, larger hands/feet, but my wrists are small. If you put me next to my sister, I look massive, even though I'm only 1" taller. My shoulders are a good 3" wider, if not more. However, I'm also at the low end of weight for the medium frame for my height. I guess it's nice because if you are big-boned, you can hold a little more weight at your height and still be lean.