Squats bad for knees?

Options
Reading mixed reviews what do you think? I have one knee that is slightly messed up from running wrong three years ago...I still do P90x weight lifting and I use the spin bike almost every day with no problem...

Replies

• Bennysammysofie2
    Options
    If u squat poorly, u will mess up more than your knees. Get away from traditional back squats. Do 1 leg squats instead. Google mike Boyle....he's the best
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Take the time to learn to squat properly and you should be fine. The fact that you are able to run and spin without pain tells me you're probably gonna be fine but only you and your doctor know for sure. If you are doing squats and you experience pain you are:

1. probably doing it wrong like allowing your knees to buckle in instead pushing them out etc or
    2. you are too injured to be doing anything and you'll need to visit a PT or surgeon to get it corrected.

My knee was scoped years ago and since I have started squatting I have had ZERO knee pain. I hit legs harder than anything else now and hit them hard 2x per week. If I was damaging my knees I would probably know it by now.

go to youtube and search "so you think you can squat" one of the more in-depth and detailed squat tutorials I have ever seen, in many parts.

My other favorite on youtube is Elliott Hulse. His view is "That thing you CAN'T do is that which you MUST do."
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I never used to squat becuase of bad knees.. but then I realised I was doing it all wrong. I fixed my form, worked on the muscles surrounding the knee (to strengthen it for other activities as well) and now I am doing weighted squats and my *kitten* has never looked better.. LOVE THEM
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Squats can actually help the knees. Be sure your form is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what the issue is with your knee. I've had knee surgery twice (torn meniscus in each knee) and have bone on bone issues. The orthopedist instructed me not to do squats or lunges. So, I sort of listened to his advice. I don't do lunges and do "shallow" squats. I still do spin class, pilates, yoga, the elliptical and walk on the treadmill. :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Who's knees?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is to try. If you start feeling discomfort stop before you get to pain. Stay at that level.
    There are books about this. Find one.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I have really crappy knees, for a 60 yo. And I am in my 20's.

In my experience, high reps no weight (used to do a bootcamp type class once a week where you had to do as many squats as you could in 2 minutes) meant pain to the point where I cringed every time i had to go down a flight of stairs.
    High weight, low rep is fine for me. You'd still have to see for yourself.
  • cstigs84
    cstigs84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bad form is bad for knees.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    Bad form is bad for knees.

Basically this. If you're doing squats correctly they shouldn't hurt or damage your knees, but most people do them incorrectly
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I think that squats will help improve the strength of the muscles supporting the knees: If you feel pain, stop!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    I have had bad knees for a few years. The joys of getting older. I decided to try squats and have gone from walking upstairs on all fours to practically running up. I have lost weight too which has helped but in the early days of losing the squats were great for me but I suppose it depends on what your knee trouble is.

I believe in strengthening muscles around injuries to protect them.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I feel like squats have strengthened my knees... and hips... and lower back...

I do squat with my toes pointed out about 45 degrees and I make sure my heels are shoulders' width apart. The toes-out stance seems to help take the stress off the knees. Don't know if that's the "right" way to do it, but it works for me.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    When I started doing NROLFW, it talks about how many women have weak hamstrings, that can cause knee pain. The book has me doing step-ups, weighted squats, and other things to strengthen my quads and hamstrings. My knees still crackle like rice crispies, but I have to say they haven't been causing me as much pain lately. Make sure when you're squating that your knees don't go past your ankles. Bootie out, use those legs to push up, and push up through the heel. ;) Good luck!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It depends
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    if it hurts, don't do it :smile:

Your body is your own.

once you feel confident of your knee recovery, give it a go and test the waters.

best wishes
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Generally, with good form, they are not bad for knees. However, if you have a pre-existing injury, it really depends on the injury.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I had a knee injury a few years ago, and I do squats now with no problem. I think the weight loss is the best thing I could have done for myself to prevent future knee injuries. Carrying around significantly less body weight makes a big difference!
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I never used to squat becuase of bad knees.. but then I realised I was doing it all wrong. I fixed my form, worked on the muscles surrounding the knee (to strengthen it for other activities as well)

^^This! Exactly the same, because I couldn't get low enough due to pain I was doing half squats which put stress on the knees, this actually caused me more pain - so I thought I couldn't do them!
    Have a look at "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, I think you can preview the bit on squats on Amazon, if you do them properly they don't strain the knees at all. Good luck.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Squatting properly is extremely good for your knees. Squatting badly is not.