never enough carbs?

Options
I think I eat pretty well. Not as well as I could, but a lot better than most unemployed college students. I have my macros/micros set to the DASH diet, which is a set of guidelines meant to slow/prevent the onset of hypertension. I've had pretty good success so far in losing weight, both before I joined MFP and in the last couple months since I've joined. I still have a very long way to go, but I don't feel "diet fatigue" and I'm excited to be starting at a new gym very soon.

It seems like I never get enough carbs by most diet standards. The only days where I meet my carbohydrate goal are the days I go way over on calories overall. I know it's not affecting my weight loss (or if it is, it's so little I don't care,) but could eating with the carb/fat/protein breakdown I usually have pose an issue for other health concerns?

A few years ago I ate a raw vegan diet that was mostly fats and proteins which caused me to have the classic signs of ketosis, so I know what that feels (and smells) like, and I'm not at that point at all. However, I'm trying as much as I can to eat healthy.

My diary is open, and I'm open to suggestions/advice.

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with the amount of carbs listed in your food diary, except that I doubt that Angel Food cake has 0 carbs, so you may be eating more than you think (and more sugar too).

I keep my carbs below 150 and most of the time I don't even reach 100, so as long as you are feeling OK, keep having success and losing weight, and if you don't feel tired or without energy, then keep it up.

If you feel that you don't have energy to complete your workouts, just eat more beans, lentils, brown rice, quinoa and/or yams, and the carbs count will go up.

Good luck and congratulations for loosing 25 lbs already.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    How do you feel?

Eat to fuel your lifestyle. Dietary needs are going to be different for everyone. If you do a lot of cardio or endurance work, you might want more carbs than someone who doesn't. If you like resistance training, you're going to be more concerned with protein intake and staving off muscle loss. If you're happy with your weight loss, are feeling good, and what you're eating is otherwise meeting your nutritional and exercise needs, then your macro breakdown is working for you. Don't get hung up on what a one-size-fits-all diet tells you you "should" be eating, and don't fix it if it ain't broke!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    No, not meeting your carb goal is not going to negatively effect your health. The important macronutrient goals to meet are protein and fat. Those are minimums and can be exceeded. If you are feeling great and things are working for you, congrats and stop worrying, you're doing a good job!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and I have a few observations.

1). Not sure you are recording food accurately (are you weighing them or guessing the grams or ounces?
    2) Some food have suspiciously wrong macronutrients, like the angel food cake with zero carbs. Hmmm....
    3) You are overheating on total calories, as well as protein. Did you know that your body takes excess protein and converts it into sugar, via a "de novo genesis" biochemical process. So it's like you are eating carbs if you eat too much protein. All you need is 1.5 grams protein per kg of lean body mass. So what it looks like to me is you are actually overheating carbs, in the process of overheating protein.
    4) have you tried going into ketosis on a diet that allows meat? I eat meat and I have been in ketosis for months and I'm doing great, I love it! I'm losing 1 or more lbs per week consistently. It's a strategy that works for ME. You need to find a strategy that works for you.

Good luck, sweetheart.
  • TheSlorax
    Options

1). Not sure you are recording food accurately (are you weighing them or guessing the grams or ounces?
    2) Some food have suspiciously wrong macronutrients, like the angel food cake with zero carbs. Hmmm....
    3) You are overheating on total calories, as well as protein. Did you know that your body takes excess protein and converts it into sugar, via a "de novo genesis" biochemical process. So it's like you are eating carbs if you eat too much protein. All you need is 1.5 grams protein per kg of lean body mass. So what it looks like to me is you are actually overheating carbs, in the process of overheating protein.
    4) have you tried going into ketosis on a diet that allows meat? I eat meat and I have been in ketosis for months and I'm doing great, I love it! I'm losing 1 or more lbs per week consistently. It's a strategy that works for ME. You need to find a strategy that works for you.

Good luck, sweetheart.

Do you have sources for #3?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I think you need to make better choices on what you pick out for your entries. The cake definitely has carbs, the green beans have carbs. You can't believe most of the things in the database if you want to track macros because they're user entered and if the person entering them messes up or isn't tracking macros it often doesn't get corrected.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

Do you have sources for #3?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-and-use-from-one-meal/#axzz2ml0b0E7w
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

#3 Is gluconeogenesis. Stop giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about it. It isn't helpful.
  • _errata_
    Options
    I think I eat pretty well. Not as well as I could, but a lot better than most unemployed college students. I have my macros/micros set to the DASH diet, which is a set of guidelines meant to slow/prevent the onset of hypertension. I've had pretty good success so far in losing weight, both before I joined MFP and in the last couple months since I've joined. I still have a very long way to go, but I don't feel "diet fatigue" and I'm excited to be starting at a new gym very soon.

It seems like I never get enough carbs by most diet standards. The only days where I meet my carbohydrate goal are the days I go way over on calories overall. I know it's not affecting my weight loss (or if it is, it's so little I don't care,) but could eating with the carb/fat/protein breakdown I usually have pose an issue for other health concerns?

A few years ago I ate a raw vegan diet that was mostly fats and proteins which caused me to have the classic signs of ketosis, so I know what that feels (and smells) like, and I'm not at that point at all. However, I'm trying as much as I can to eat healthy.

My diary is open, and I'm open to suggestions/advice.

I have done cyclical ketogenic diets in the past, and your carb intake is well above what is required to get into ketosis... no where near it in fact. Your macro-nutrients look fine to me. If you are losing weight and feel good about it, then keep it up!

I would probably follow Haley's advice and focus on hitting your protein and fat intake. She has had a lot of success and knows what she is doing.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

#3 Is gluconeogenesis. Stop giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about it. It isn't helpful.

Well, thank you Mr. schwarzenegger. So kind of you to make time to post your comment. By the way de novo genesis is just a technical term meaning the process of creating (genesis) something new (de novo). And gluconeogenesis is indeed that - note the usage of similar terms like neo = de novo, and of course genesis = genesis. But, that's ok, I wasn't expecting you to think that hard. And oh by the way, I took a peek at your diary...I see you have macdonalds, and chik-fil-a and related high quality foods on a regular basis. OMG, what a genius. Shall I follow your advice instead?
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Well, thank you Mr. schwarzenegger. So kind of you to make time to post your comment. By the way de novo genesis is just a technical term meaning the process of creating (genesis) something new (de novo). And gluconeogenesis is indeed that - note the usage of similar terms like neo = de novo, and of course genesis = genesis. But, that's ok, I wasn't expecting you to think that hard. And oh by the way, I took a peek at your diary...I see you have macdonalds, and chik-fil-a and related high quality foods on a regular basis. OMG, what a genius. Shall I follow your advice instead?

Except you forgot the "gluco-" descriptor. Correct, "denovo genesis" means "new creation," but "new creation" of what? Neoglucogenesis is much more descriptive. And a person's own choices does not dictate their knowledge in a given field.
  • _errata_
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

So if I only ate 1,000 calories per day and it was all McDonalds, would I gain weight?
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

So if I only ate 1,000 calories per day and it was all McDonalds, would I gain weight?

Yes; via liponeomcdonalgenesis, or denovo lipobigmacogenesis.

Stay safe
  • _errata_
    Options

Yes; via liponeomcdonalgenesis, or denovo lipobigmacogenesis.

Stay safe

babyISWYDT.gif
  • TheSlorax
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

You are misunderstanding the process. Excess protein is only converted to glucose when your glycogen and glucose stores are depleted. Glucose is fuel, and I believe you are confusing it with sugar (which on its own also does not cause weight gain, but this myth is more widely perpetuated). Excess energy (calories) is what contributes to weight gain which occurs when you are at a caloric surplus. You don't need to be nasty. Since errata is at a caloric deficit and, to a degree of lesser importance, hits his macronutrient goals the type of food he chooses is irrelevant.

By the way, I thought you might find it interesting that while Mark's Daily Apple touts "clean" eating and "unprocessed" food yet he sells a processed protein powder. Hmmmm... wonder what that'$ all about.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

You are misunderstanding the process. Excess protein is only converted to glucose when your glycogen and glucose stores are depleted. Glucose is fuel, and I believe you are confusing it with sugar (which on its own also does not cause weight gain, but this myth is more widely perpetuated). Excess energy (calories) is what contributes to weight gain which occurs when you are at a caloric surplus. You don't need to be nasty. Since errata is at a caloric deficit and, to a degree of lesser importance, hits his macronutrient goals the type of food he chooses is irrelevant.

By the way, I thought you might find it interesting that while Mark's Daily Apple touts "clean" eating and "unprocessed" food yet he sells a processed protein powder. Hmmmm... wonder what that'$ all about.

It is so hot when you talk like this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

Whats wrong with McDonald's?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122891-9-reasons-fat-loss-is-always-slower-than-you-d-like

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-myth-of-good-and-bad-foods-by-eric-helms-588801
  • wheird
    Options
    590metabolism.gif
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

I totally agree with you there, Hayley. Those powders and bars and stuff is not REAL FOOD, and it counteracts his arguments. I think it is not healthy eating fake foods and promotes the wrong eating habits. I used the link from daily apple as an "easy to read in layman terms" piece, and actually I was going to copy a link from peter Attia instead, but it was pretty heavy on the technical lingo. Just wanted to put a point across in a simple manner.
  • wheird
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

I totally agree with you there, Hayley. Those powders and bars and stuff is not REAL FOOD, and it counteracts his arguments. I think it is not healthy eating fake foods and promotes the wrong eating habits. I used the link from daily apple as an "easy to read in layman terms" piece, and actually I was going to copy a link from peter Attia instead, but it was pretty heavy on the technical lingo. Just wanted to put a point across in a simple manner.

It depends on the individual whether or not they can eat what you call "fake foods" without developing bad eating habits. I fully recognize that some people have trigger foods that lead them to binging or falling off the wagon. But those are people that have unhealthy relationships with those foods. Ideally, a person should be able to eat whatever they want, within their calorie and macro goals, without the risk of binging.

I travel a lot, so I eat a lot of fast food. I have still managed to lose weight and actually have an easier time with that than at home when cooking.