Need to know if this is the right path...

Options
First time posting here and would love some input! I am a 28 year old mom of two boys, ages 6 and 4. I have always been considered "underweight" but always felt like I've had a flabby tummy. In the last year I have gained what I feel like is a true "mom belly" and I am hating it! Finding clothes to fit me has been almost impossible lately and I've just felt really lousy about myself. The confusing part is that I still only weigh 114, which is still considered underweight (I am 5'5").

Last January I began working out to Jillian Michaels DVDs every morning Monday-Friday and improving my eating habits. I really was starting to see results! I was losing the fat and even gaining weight, which I was pretty excited about! Needless to say, I got lazy, I slowly stopped working out, and I think the muscle I was gaining just turned into fat...hence, feeling fatter now than I ever have before. I definitely want to start all this again, and make it a life style change! Don't get me wrong, I understand I am not overweight, and don't have any eating disorders, I really just want to be healthy and look healthy. I want my boys to see mommy as a role model for a healthy lifestyle. A plus: my husband thinks I am sexier than ever. I just want to do this for myself!

Was I on the right path before? Is there anything I should add? Anything I should know about turning my little bit of fat into muscle? I can include a picture if you need more of a visual of my "problem area."

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were doing well until you stopped, so you'd probably have to figure out a way to stay active. It might help if you enjoy your exercise, it could make you less likely to feel lazy and quit. I know exercise DVDs get boring for me fast, but I could bike almost every day if the weather is good enough.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were doing well until you stopped, so you'd probably have to figure out a way to stay active. It might help if you enjoy your exercise, it could make you less likely to feel lazy and quit. I know exercise DVDs get boring for me fast, but I could bike almost every day if the weather is good enough.

This, but to add: Eat to fuel your body, and lift heavy things. Often. Don't worry about the scale; rather, go by measurements, how your clothes fit and how you feel. I think taking a picture of yourself right now would be a good idea to compare to later- seeing a difference even though the scale doesn't say anything can be a big motivator to continue what you're doing.

Best of Luck!
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    I guess you might need to eat more high protein meals.
  • Momof2boys2009
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far!

I think I lost motivation because I work out in the morning before the boys wake up, and I decided at one point that sleeping is was more precious to me, haha :) I think if I find some fun music to workout to and make sure I get to bed earlier, I can make it happen this time!

I have plans of adding more protein to my meals, in fact, I've already started slowly doing it.

One more question: I have a ganglion cyst in my left wrist that can cause me a lot of pain and weakness, which limits my ability to do push ups. Are there other things I can do when my cyst is acting up that gives the same results as push ups without using my wrist? Planks on my forearms maybe?
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but have you tried doing the pushups using pushup bars or a couple of hex dumbells or maybe even knuckle pushups All of would keep your wrists straight instead of bent and may not hurt as bad.