Mini Bran Muffins with Orange Zest

Options
jb_2011
jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
Great little muffins! Not too sweet, very little fat. And they're pretty good sized for minis!

Makes 24 mini muffins.

1 cup bran flakes
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 c. 50% less-sugar Craisins

1/4 c. molasses (regular, not blackstrap)
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 T. canola oil
3/4 c. 1% milk
1 egg, beaten
1 t. orange zest (more if you like)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stir together dry ingredients and craisins. Beat egg in a separate bowl, then stir together with remainder of wet ingredients and zest. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir together only until moistened. Spray mini muffin tin with PAM. Divide batter evenly between 24 muffin cups Bake 12 minutes.

1 mini muffin:
75 cals; 14g carbs; 2g fat; 2g protein; 3g fiber; 5g sugar; 84g sodium; 78g potassium

Here are some additional notes:

The original recipe called for 1/2 c. molasses (or honey). I think they're great with the lesser amount (1/4 c.), but you might prefer a sweeter flavor. A bit of Splenda could be added along with the lesser amount of molasses, keeping the calories low.

The orange zest adds a wonderful taste, I would add a little more next time.

Raisins or regular Crasins can be used instead of reduced sugar Craisins, but the reduced sugar kind are fantastic. I'm a fan of less sugar :)

Chopped nuts would be an excellent addition, adding more cals, of course.

Regular-sized muffin tins may be used, recipe makes 12, at 150 cals each. Bake 15 minutes.

Hubby loved 'em. :wink:

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sounds absolutely delish!!! thanks for posting:flowerforyou: !!!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    These look yummy!! Adding some ingredients to the grocery list and will be making them soon. Thank you for posting this recipe. :-)
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks jb!
    I am going to make some soon... It's been a long time since I made bran muffins and I miss them...