I feel bad for my husband.

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    STOP!!!
    Take a step back, I am the overweight one in my marriage and I am working on my own fitness my own way, whatever my husband does to 'help' is wrong this is why:
    If he congratulates me on my effort I feel undermined as if I am now doing it for him not for me
    If he suggests I can eat something fattening I blame him for my weight gain , if he suggests I eat something low calorie I resent him
    If he worries about my safety when I am out walking I accuse him of sabotaging my attempts to lose weight
    If he takes me to the gym I feel grateful, but it is always tinged with embarrassment that he is watching and judging the exercise I am doing.
    I love my husband, though it may not sound as if I do, I know these are my insecurities and emotional problems I am projecting onto him but it doesn't stop me feeling this way. I have to do this for me and me only as does your husband, all you can do is keep telling him you love him and wait for him to realise it won't do itself HE has to get off his butt and get on with it!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    He won't until he wants to. Just like the rest of us.

I agree with this. The best thing you can do right now is lead by example and hope he will follow.

If he sees you eating a balanced diet and waking up early to go work out at the gym maybe he will be motivated to follow, but don't push him.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    He won't until he wants to. Just like the rest of us.

I agree with this. The best thing you can do right now is lead by example and hope he will follow.

If he sees you eating a balanced diet and waking up early to go work out at the gym maybe he will be motivated to follow, but don't push him.

I totally agree. Only thing you can do for him is cooking proper balanced meals, so you know he doesn't get crap on his plate at home.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    a year ago I weighed 42lb more than I do now; I was on medication for cholesterol & raised blood pressure & I had a sedentary lifestyle.
    my father died of a heart attack aged 51; my brother, now aged 51 has heart problems but continues to be overweight by at least the same as I lost.

what gave me the wake up call aged 53 rather than at 40,45 or 50? frankly I have no idea; my wife is 46, is 5'7" tall and weighs 57kg, fit as a butchers dog; but she never criticised me, she just led by example.

now we're all eating pretty clean; lean meat, whole foods, brown rice, etc etc my sons are into looking good now too, youngest has 21% bf, works out & hits very hard on the rugby field; so my journey has helped the whole family.

It IS important; obesity leads to a wide variety of health problems as you get older; and if you have family history those issues are compounded. we all know someone who died aged 96 and smoked all his life and we know obese people aged 85; but there are LOTS more that didn't make it, a sad but true fact.

Maybe find someone ha can talk to? somebody he might listen to? you're probably a bit close to the fire which is why he reacts badly but maybe there's someone out there he'll listen to?
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been together for many years. She started to get healthy and dropped some wheigt before me She's looking great. When we got out and i saw how the other guys stated to notice her I kinda saw her in the eyes of other men. Then I took a good look in the mirror. That was about10kg ago.
    My point is maybe you should start doing what you want him to do. He might follow you. Good luck!