Joined Planet Fitness - some positive comments

Options
I read almost all the posts here and the overwhelming negativity about Planet Fitness and decided to join anyway as I am not locked into a contract and understand I can cancel by sending a letter by certified mail.,

I think for many it is a great choice. It is $10 a month and a good place to start working out. I do see how you can outgrow this gym as there are no classes, etc.

That said with a hundred pieces of cardio equipment there was no difficulty getting a treadmill, elliptical or bike. They are good quality, each has its own tv and plug in for your headphone and best yet they band cell phone conversations from the workout floor so that is nice.

Today I signed up for a 30 minute circuit class and I was the only one who showed up so the trainer got me started and stayed with me for the first few machines. I thought it would be too easy for me but was surprised that I got my heart rate up and the step sessions in between the machines seemed a lot longer than 60 seconds:laugh:

Anyway I just wanted to encourage those considering joining that there are valid reasons to join and I observed members from very fit to very obese and everything in between. There were people barely pushing themselves to exercise and some giving it their all and in the end you have to have your own motivation to succeed. The front desk staff were best indifferent and some seemed rude but that is not important to me - that is their own issue. I am there for me and to improve my fitness level. For now I will save $50 a month over my previous gym and re-evaluate every couple months.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's purple.

They don't allow chalk.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you're a cardio bunny, it is perfect.

If you lift, you're very restricted.
    And it is purple.
  • dmk1029
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness and really like it because there are no judgements. I love the unlimited use of massage beds, chairs and tanning beds, it is well worth the $20 I pay a month for those benefits alone.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    its 10$ a month but then have a membership fee of 40$**on top of that every year or few months...read the fine print...

**Plus applicable taxes. Billed monthly to a checking account for a minimum of 12 months. Annual Membership Fee of $29.00 plus applicable taxes will be billed on or shortly after June 1st. State and local restrictions on tanning frequency apply.

and if you do the $20 a month its $39.00 they bill you for annual membership fee.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you in a budget you are happy with. Purple is pretty. :flowerforyou:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hey if you'll go and it works for you then who cares what other people think about it. My gym (LA Fitness) always gets crappy reviews too - but it works great for me.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I got a flier in the mail about the annual fee being waived until Dec 31st, so I'm going to go in and check out exactly what equipment they have. If I can make it work, $10 sounds great for me. I don't have room for all the weight I need here at home, darnit. Just for a couple of moves, but they are important.

Mine's right up the street, basically. I'm really hoping they have enough weight!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    i like mine, but they seem to be a bit different than some of the others

I grunt and the lunk alarm never goes off

I deadlift and they are fine with it.

I get what I need to get done DONE.

I do wish they had more squat racks.
  • brandon_2A
    Options
    My opinion has always been that if you can't get a decent workout at a PF, it's your fault.

I also consider it a perk that the staff is inattentive. That's how they are at the one I go to as well, but I'm not there for conversation or to make friends. I honestly don't think I've said a word to anyone since I've been going. Like the OP said, the equipment is there, what you do with it is all on you. I see people all the time come in, walk on treadmill for 15 minutes and leave. Hey....whatever. If that's more than you were gonna do at your house all day then good for you.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Findin what works for you is all that matters. Enjoy your workout and don't worry about what others say.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness and really like it because there are no judgements. I love the unlimited use of massage beds, chairs and tanning beds, it is well worth the $20 I pay a month for those benefits alone.

Except there ARE judgments. Have you never seen their commercials? They openly judge those who choose to lift heavy. That being said, if it works for you, awesome.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I took some pictures early this past year of them having their machines and weight equipment all crammed over into a corner while they replaced flooring --- all while they continued to allow members to use the equipment. The situation was extremely unsafe, and the PF location was opening themselves up to a huge amount of liability by allowing themselves to operate that way.

A few days after posting those pictures, I got a call from the general manager at the location-- apparently someone reported my post, or saw it, or possibly even PF corporate saw it. Instead of calling me to address the situation of the unsafe gym operation- I was reprimanded for taking pictures in the gym and told I was in violation of corporate policy. She then went on to tell me I made gym members uncomfortable by taking pictures (of the equipment crammed on top of each other) -- because this was a judgement free zone. She then threatened to revoke my membership.

My response was an apology for 'breaking their rules' and then a statement that they shouldn't create hazards for gym members. It was extremely laughable. I hope someone from PF reads and reports this post again to their corporate office or whatever. That crap was unsafe and unacceptable, and the thinly veiled threat of this woman calling me because I broke company policy of a judgement free zone is bologna... and I will judge an unsafe situation whenever I darn well feel like it.

Shortly after this, they removed all of their free weight equipment and replaced it all with smith machines and machines. I went out and bought my free weights after that.
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    Any exercise is better than no exercise. And it sounds like it has everything you need right now at a good price, so good for you.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I just joined for the winter months and convenience, 5 miles from home. I agree with others...if it works for you, it is a good thing. Keep it up.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I belonged to PF for a while, and was so unsatisfied I quit going. Also, good luck quitting, because if you are a black club member, they will try and stick you with some ridiculous cancellation fee. I hated it there, personally, and am shelling out $45 more a month for a quality gym, which has made me more likely and more motivated to work out.

With that being said, if it works for you, that's well and good. But the negative reviews didn't pop up out of nowhere.
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options

Except there ARE judgments. Have you never seen their commercials? They openly judge those who choose to lift heavy. That being said, if it works for you, awesome.

This. They absolutely DO judge. That is all.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I joined PF just last week and so far I really love it. I have seen reviews for some locations on google that say staff are not attentive, I expect it must vary from one gym to another probably depending on how good their leadership/management is. I have always found that places with great managers usually give much better service. Anyway, the one I am going to the staff are really great, they greet you with smiles and hellos "have a great work out" type of comments", and there has always been more than one member of staff at the desk.

The trainer spent an hour and a half with me on my first visit planning out my program and showing me how to use everything and how to do the exercises. In two months I will return to her to work out how to step up the program, but I can go to her anytime before that with questions. It is a good place for someone starting out like me, but might not be enough for serious weight lifters and people who want a range of organised classes. I like to be shown what to do and left alone until I ask for more help. I am very self directed and don't like someone looking over my shoulder or monitoring me so this works perfectly for me.

There is no cancellation fee for white membership, but someone above said they will stick you with a huge fee if you try to leave before your year is up if you are a black member, however, it is right there in the contract you sign, there is a $58 cancellation fee if you decide not to stay for 12 months, and you have to give a 30 day notice either in person or by certified mail to cancel. The annual membership fee is $39.99 for black, and $29.99 for white members. This all seems pretty normal to me, most contracts with anything from gyms to cell phones to cable providers etc they all have similar terms to these.

It all depends on what you are looking for in the end no gym is going to satisfy everyone.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    No Overhead Press. No Deadlift. No Power Cleans. No thanks.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for almost a year, and yes, if I could afford like LA Fitness I would probably like it more but PF fills my need, I have lost 31 of my 42 lbs by faithfully going there so I am good with it for now. I get in and get out...everyone is polite and that is all...lol
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    The gym is what you make of it. I go to Planet Fitness because it fits my budget. I can't afford Gold's Gym or the sports center down the road. The staff is very nice and there a lot of heavy lifters that go to mine... Now if they could just make it a rule not to curl in my squat rack I'd be even more happy. :grumble: